• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painted on "Pin Stripe", how to remove?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted on "Pin Stripe", how to remove?

Any of you guys have your pin stripes painted on from the dealer? I always thought mine was a sticker, so today I went to go remove them and it wouldn't budge at all.

Anyways, how should I go about removing it without messing up my paint?

Re: Painted on "Pin Stripe", how to remove?

You can try something like lacquer thinner but test in an inconspicuous area to make sure it doesn't stain the clear coat.

Basically you want to find a way to dissolve it off the car, sanding and buffing are another option but you'll remove good clear paint in the process.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by dfw View Post
      Any of you guys have your pin stripes painted on from the dealer? I always thought mine was a sticker, so today I went to go remove them and it wouldn't budge at all.

Anyways, how should I go about removing it without messing up my paint?
      I have heard oven cleaner works but have yet to try it for myself. Lets see who else chimes in.

Does the car have the original factory paint? If so lacquer thinner may be another possible option, depending on the paint used for the stripe.
      Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

There are other more aggressive ways to get it off but you want to find a way to remove the pin stripe while not removing clear paint, if your process dulls the top surface of the clear coat a little we can help you to fix that.

Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          You can try something like lacquer thinner but test in an inconspicuous area to make sure it doesn't stain the clear coat.

Basically you want to find a way to dissolve it off the car, sanding and buffing are another option but you'll remove good clear paint in the process.
          I've heard people using lacquer too. Really trying to stay away from sanding/buffing.

Originally posted by RaskyR1 View Post
          I have heard oven cleaner works but have yet to try it for myself. Lets see who else chimes in.

Does the car have the original factory paint? If so lacquer thinner may be another possible option, depending on the paint used for the stripe.
          Yeah it's the original factory paint. It's a an 07 civic. (I just posted on 8th too lol)

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
          There are other more aggressive ways to get it off but you want to find a way to remove the pin stripe while not removing clear paint, if your process dulls the top surface of the clear coat a little we can help you to fix that.

Should I start out with lacquer first and see how that goes?

Comment

Should I start out with lacquer first and see how that goes?
            That would be what I would try first.
            Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

That would be what I would try first.
              I never used this before, how do I go about applying it? How about Acetone, only reason I ask because I have it laying around.

Comment

I never used this before, how do I go about applying it? How about Acetone, only reason I ask because I have it laying around.
                Not sure on the Acetone. like Mikes said, try it in an inconspicuous area first.

Use a clean soft towel and apply the thinner to the towel so that it is damp/wet, then gently rub over the area.
                Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

Not sure on the Acetone. like Mikes said, try it in an inconspicuous area first.

Use a clean soft towel and apply the thinner to the towel so that it is damp/wet, then gently rub over the area.
                  Ok. What should I do after all is done, just a wash/wax?

Comment

Ok. What should I do after all is done, just a wash/wax?
                    You may need to use a paint cleaner like Deep Crystal step 1, but It will depend how easy it comes off and if you instilled and scratches during the removal, then following that up with a wax.
                    Rasky's Auto Detailing

Comment

You'll likely get into the buffing... I can't imagin the paint being perfect after you tear paint off.

Comment

Acetone is some really strong solvent, if it doesn't take All the paint off it's highly likely it will soften your car's clear coat.

Wouldn't hurt to test in an inconspicuous area like a door jamb or around the inside of the trunk lid, but not on the exterior panels.

If it doesn't harm the clear coat then yes, it should easily remove the pinstripes...
                        Mike Phillips
                        760-515-0444
                        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by VonLego View Post
                          You'll likely get into the buffing... I can't imagine the paint being perfect after you tear paint off.
                          Correct.

By hand or machine, after removing the pinstripe you're probably going to have to do some paint polishing to schmoo everything over and give the panels an overall uniform appearance.

Often times there will be in "Imprint" left in the paint where the pinstripe was and completely removing the imprint will require removing a little paint just like you were removing swirls.

It's also possible for the underlying paint to have a different color due to fading of the basecoat around it.

Let us know when you get the pin-striping off. Might want to just remove a little pin-striping and see how the underlying paint looks before tackling the entire project.

Removing the pin-striping might leave you with a ghost pinstripe...

Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

What about a paint run razor? You know, where you have a block with a blade that protrudes through to touch the surface in micro-fine measurements to remove paint runs. Just a thought ...

Comment

If you find it's not actually painted on, 3M makes a "Stripe Off" wheel for removal of "vinyl striping tapes."

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');