• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

I realize that Paint Protect, and now Ultimate Fast Finish, are Meguiar’s top of the line products for long term durability, for protecting your paint.

My question is—how would the quality of protection of either of those products, stack up against the protection offered by GC Carnuba, or Ultimate Wax? That is to say, if I were to re-apply either of these waxes every 1-2 months, would my paint be better protected, than if I were to simply apply Paint Protect or Ultimate Fast Finish, and use nothing more for the next 6 months?

Am I sacrificing quality for quantity? I would rather wax my cars every month or two, if it meant having a stronger layer of protection on top of my paint, then using Paint Protect or Ultimate Fast Finish once or twice a year.

Re: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

You could always use a spray wax like ultimate quik wax or D156 every week, bi-weekly or monthly to maintain whatever form of protection you use.
    99 Grand Prix
    02 Camaro SS

Comment

Re: Paint Protect and Ultimate Fast Finish, compared to CG Carnuba and Ultimate Wax

Originally posted by prr View Post
      My question is—how would the quality of protection of either of those products, stack up against the protection offered by GC Carnuba, or Ultimate Wax? That is to say, if I were to re-apply either of these waxes every 1-2 months, would my paint be better protected, than if I were to simply apply Paint Protect or Ultimate Fast Finish, and use nothing more for the next 6 months?
      I think I know what you're asking, prr, and I've tried it in a similar way.

The quality of protection itself is, IMHO, going to be far better with a machine-applied wax, then a hand-applied wax second, and spray products a very distant third. This is not a slight on spray products at all, and I use GCQW and UWWA/D115 lovingly and regularly. Sure, you might get better results from PP or UFF rather than xQW or UWWA, but I'm skeptical on that (because you still have to clean the vehicle). I have to apply spray protection pretty much every few days, depending on Southeast weather. Even then, they are simply not being "soaked" or worked in like a main wax usually is, or applied as thick as a main wax, and they cannot do what a full polish and wax does over time.
      Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
      4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
      First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
        I think I know what you're asking, prr, and I've tried it in a similar way.
        Have you tried comparing GC Carnuba or Ultimate Wax, to Paint Protect (or even UFF)?

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
          You could always use a spray wax like ultimate quik wax or D156 every week, bi-weekly or monthly to maintain whatever form of protection you use.
          Guz, if I had a nickel every time you told me to use Ult Quik Wax, I'd have a quarter.... or maybe even 50 cents.

One of these days I might even try it out, but I'm still thinking I should just apply a good wax, then wash only until its time for a new wax. Applying one more product sounds like more work, while I'm trying to eliminate it. The other thing is that both my cars are outdoors 24/7, no garage, no parking garage, no nothing, and so any shine I get is going to be very short lived, buried under a thin layer of dust. That's why I'm more interested in protection, than maintaining a shiny appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by prr View Post
            Have you tried comparing GC Carnuba or Ultimate Wax, to Paint Protect (or even UFF)?
            I've had no reason to do so, as I've described. Ignoring marketing claims, PP seems as much work/time to apply as simply re-waxing, and being so thin, it couldn't last all that long in the real world of weather where I live. Even if it did last longer than spray waxing, I've seen pictures of its finish and don't think it will "look" right for me - and besides, the car still gets dirty, doesn't it?? So, since I still have to clean the car regularly, the problem of maintenance is exactly the same, and even PP will simply wash and weather away. Like you said, you like re-waxing every month or two, as do I, so I don't see the point of PP or UFF when I still have to clean every few days or so as needed. Maybe I'm missing a trick, but the concept of PP/UFF seems like a lot of counter-productive work given the regular weather ups-and-downs in my region, and the resulting cleaning/detailing. Haven't seen UFF in stores, or any detailed info on it yet, as I have with PP. Lastly, neither product fits with my whole carnauba/DAMF thing I've got going on

If you're that curious and have the time, why not make the comparison yourself? If something works for you, that's great. Make a thread here and tell us all about it
            Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
            4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
            First Correction | Gallery

Comment

I have 3 DD's I care for. All are parked outside 24/7. Two (wife's Cruze and daughter's Fit) get washed sporadically, especially in winter. I've done PP365 on both and though it's only been a month, I'm very pleased so far. Beading is still excellent and they're almost self-cleaning when it rains. As I mentioned in my original post, http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...3PZxAj4bbxI.97 , I don't care if it doesn't last an entire year; I'm just looking to get thru the winter.
              For my own DD, a black Lacrosse, I'm still going the conventional route, with a couple coats of sealant and regular rinseless washes with D156/UQW or Aquawax as a drying aid. I enjoy playing with different waxes and polishes on the Lacrosse and will likely continue to do so, but there's just not enough time (or energy) to keep up 3 DD's, not to mention my garage queen El Camino, so PP365 or the new Fast Finish will likely be my long term future for both the women's cars.

Bill

Comment

I will have to fix my post later but Bill has a good approach.
                99 Grand Prix
                02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
                  I have 3 DD's I care for. All are parked outside 24/7. Two (wife's Cruze and daughter's Fit) get washed sporadically, especially in winter. I've done PP365 on both and though it's only been a month, I'm very pleased so far. Beading is still excellent and they're almost self-cleaning when it rains. As I mentioned in my original post, http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...3PZxAj4bbxI.97 , I don't care if it doesn't last an entire year; I'm just looking to get thru the winter.
                  For my own DD, a black Lacrosse, I'm still going the conventional route, with a couple coats of sealant and regular rinseless washes with D156/UQW or Aquawax as a drying aid. I enjoy playing with different waxes and polishes on the Lacrosse and will likely continue to do so, but there's just not enough time (or energy) to keep up 3 DD's, not to mention my garage queen El Camino, so PP365 or the new Fast Finish will likely be my long term future for both the women's cars.

Bill
                  I'm a huge fan of coatings for daily drivers.

After a solid correction and coating your good for years depending on the brand you buy. Noting like that freshly waxed look and feel with zero effort after a basic wash.

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                    I'm a huge fan of coatings for daily drivers.

After a solid correction and coating your good for years depending on the brand you buy. Noting like that freshly waxed look and feel with zero effort after a basic wash.
                    I had OptiCoat on my daughter's Fit and it served well for 2 years. My only issue beside the cost was the small quantity, which didn't allow much for repairs later to recoat any areas that I had to correct from scratches, scuffs etc. If the new Meguiar's product can get me to a twice-yearly process with repairs as needed, it would be my preference.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack View Post
                      I had OptiCoat on my daughter's Fit and it served well for 2 years. My only issue beside the cost was the small quantity, which didn't allow much for repairs later to recoat any areas that I had to correct from scratches, scuffs etc. If the new Meguiar's product can get me to a twice-yearly process with repairs as needed, it would be my preference.

Bill
                      Take a look at mckeeys37

Imo it's the best and most cost effective coating system on the market

Comment

Originally posted by rst08tierney View Post
                        Take a look at mckeeys37

Imo it's the best and most cost effective coating system on the market
                        Had a look at McKeeys37 and that is some pricey products. Their main wax says it lasts up to 2 months in ideal conditions, whereas Ultimate Wax lasts several months on my car, in winter conditions, for half the price. My car is waxed in November, and not touched again (even washed) until March, and the water still beads almost like day one when I wash it in the spring. Sure, not washing it helps longevity, but I have a feeling their ideal conditions might be on a garage queen, driven on sunny weekend days only.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                          Had a look at McKeeys37 and that is some pricey products. Their main wax says it lasts up to 2 months in ideal conditions, whereas Ultimate Wax lasts several months on my car, in winter conditions, for half the price. My car is waxed in November, and not touched again (even washed) until March, and the water still beads almost like day one when I wash it in the spring. Sure, not washing it helps longevity, but I have a feeling their ideal conditions might be on a garage queen, driven on sunny weekend days only.
                          You are comparing two different products. Their carnauba versus UW which is a sealant. Their wax would be comparable to say M26 or Gold Class. But what rst08tierney is talking about is the coating itself. I agree that it is priced cheaper than most.
                          99 Grand Prix
                          02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                            You are comparing two different products. Their carnauba versus UW which is a sealant. Their wax would be comparable to say M26 or Gold Class. But what rst08tierney is talking about is the coating itself. I agree that it is priced cheaper than most.
                            Seems I was comparing apples to oranges, however after just a quick look, all their stuff looks pricey. Maybe I am wrong there too, but whatever the case, I will stick to the few Meguiar's products I buy.

Comment

Originally posted by Blueline View Post
                              Seems I was comparing apples to oranges, however after just a quick look, all their stuff looks pricey. Maybe I am wrong there too, but whatever the case, I will stick to the few Meguiar's products I buy.
                              I've been using meguiars for years and will continue to for my classics. For daily drivers, I will never sway away from coatings.
                              Having that freshly waxed look and feel that lasts for over 2 years is exactly what I needed. The low-maintenance aspect of a coating is just amazing.

Mckeeys seems to be the most cost effective user friendly system. Hopefully it can out perform the opticoat I've used in the past. I'm not sure if you can find a cheaper system on the market that does wheels, glass and paint for under $90

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');