• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove epoxy from paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to remove epoxy from paint?

I was fixing a cracked fairing on my bike and I epoxied it (quick set). Tried to remove the leftovers with a sponge. the sponge kind of disintegrated. so now it looks like there's a smear of dirt/bird **** stuck to it.

Im pretty sure its single stage paint if that helps.

Any idea how to get this off?

Re: How to remove epoxy from paint?

These 'qiuck setting' resins are extremely tough when dried.You have to sand them down.That's why your sponge disintigrated.

I take it you are reffering to a 2 compound mixture,which is used in bodyshops.Normally reffered to as 'filler'.

Comment

Originally posted by finebykris View Post

Any idea how to get this off?
      Very carefully.

Seriously, there's a number of things you can try, can you post a picture?

Is the bond strong where the epoxy is not supposed to be? If not maybe you can carefully scrape/chip it off with a plastic razor blade?

Anything strong enough to dissolve the epoxy would likely be strong enough to dissolve single stage paint so strong liquid solvent are probably not going to work.

You could try carefully sanding it off? First place blue painters tap on all the surrounding paint so that when you sand you don't put scratches in good paint.

We have these sanding blocks for removing dirt nibs and paint runs in new paint jobs that's a possibility?

Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

its just the 5min quick set epoxy with the 2 liquids you mix.

I'll try sanding, hopefully it works.

Comment

Originally posted by finebykris View Post
          its just the 5min quick set epoxy with the 2 liquids you mix.

I'll try sanding, hopefully it works.
          I know what stuff you mean.There are a lot,but they all basically do the same thing.Unfortunatley,it has set where your intention was to wipe away the excess.(In hot weather they can set even quicker. You can only try what Mike has suggested to you..

It would help,if you could upload a pic of it.

Comment

Here are some pics.
            and sanding is going to be really hard to do because of the shape of it. plus im sure i will end up sanding into the paint, which I dont want to do. theres got to be something that will remove epoxy but not paint

Comment

Maybe sand it smooth and put a really cool sticker on that area?

Or sand that section down and have a local paint store mix you some paint and put it in an aerosol can for you.?

Maybe some Emery boards, like girls use for their fingernails?

Just a few ideas...

Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi.I've had a look at your pics.I think I know what kind of stuff you have used.Is it a metal alloy compound? You normally get 2 tubes and squeeze them together and mix?

Comment

It seems like chipping it with a old credit card is pretty effective albeit painfully time consuming.

Im going to try to use a peice of plexiglass because it keeps destroying the old credit cards.

Comment

Is it coming off okay,without damaging the paint? If it's working okay,that's good.

Comment

yeah, id rather have scuffed paint than that beast stuck to it, and i dont think its actually doing much damage at all.

Im using a plexi ski wax scraper.... its working wonders.

just wondering but it UC and swirlx and everything safe for single stage?

Comment

Once you have removed all of that excess,you would typically do a small test spot with the least aggressive compound and see if works.Swirlx is the least aggressive,then scratchx/2.0 and then UC. in your case it will have to be a pretty small test spot.Try and choose the least visible spot.

I'm glad the piece of plastic is working good!

Comment

Used some rubbing compound which removed the glossiness from the pain, and brought it back with some US

Success

Comment

You did a good job there considering the way it was before! Now that you've filled it and smoothed it off,are you intending to piant it?

Comment

the crack isnt all that smooth. but thats all i wanted

it looks 1000 times better as it is. it will make selling it a bit easier too ... no questions about the giant brown smear.

Tomorrow im going to do a thorough wash, cleaner wax and dress all the black plastic parts... should look pretty good for the pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');