• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First make-over & first use of PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First make-over & first use of PC

Hi all,

I visited the owner and one of my best friends on Sat afternoon for a detail session. I was waiting for this opportunity to break in my brand new PC, but since my car was in an accident with half the panels damaged, I couldn't do mine.

Subject: Black/Black Audi A4 1.8T Quattro
    Finish: Clear coated, very hard, recently clayed
    Symptoms: Heavy spider-webbing, deep scratches in some places
    Prognosis: #83 with a W-8006 on setting 4.5 followed by NXT

We washed throughly with NXT car wash and two microfibers and I discovered that the surface was very squeaky and devoid of wax. We are 2 miles from Burbank Airport (flight pattern not overhead), its parked outside near but not under olive trees, and the California sun has become brutal to kick off summer as of last week. No surprise!

We took the car into the garage for a quick dry using a thick 2ft by 3ft waffle microfiber. Then, it was out into the sun for a spot check of each panel to see what we were up against. We took the before pics around 11:45am. The temperature was climbing and it was near 90 degrees.

Out comes the PC! Finally, what I've been waiting for. I've been shown how to use it on the Meguiar's Detail Day and I ordered a bunch of goodies with it. The #83 is the strongest abrasive in my aresenal, so I used it on a small 1ft by 2ft section on a setting of 2.5. Out into the sun and its doing a decent job of removing the scratches. So, into the garage for a #83 all over with a little more aggressive setting of 4.5.

After #83, we applied a coat of NXT by PC and removed by hand. The results are below and I think they speak for themselves. I can't wait to do it again!

Sunny

Trunk before and after

Hood before and after

Beauty shots

Detailing is like playing music.. the more you practice, the better you become at it.

Hey Sunny...Not bad for a beginner!

As you get more experience under your belt, you can try the 5 setting for #83 as it will work in the product better.

Try #82 as a followup...It gives an even better gloss!
    r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
      Hey Sunny...Not bad for a beginner!

As you get more experience under your belt, you can try the 5 setting for #83 as it will work in the product better.

Try #82 as a followup...It gives an even better gloss!
      couldn't agree more. dark colors really love that follow up of #82.
      wish my first time came out that good!
      heck, wish my second or thrid time came out that good!
      2019 GMC Sierra
      1500 AT4

Comment

Thank you for the tips! I will definitely try that. What are your thoughts on #7 afterwards instead? Or is the slight action of the #82 that paves the way for upkeep using #7 and NXT later?

The main reason I bought the PC was so I can glaze my car with less effort and to be able to remove slight imperfections. For those deep scratches in the pictures not catchable by fingernail, what abrasive would you recommend, something around a level 8 followed by #83 (a level 6) then a glaze?

Sunny
        Last edited by JaguarXJ6; May 2, 2004, 02:22 PM.
        Detailing is like playing music.. the more you practice, the better you become at it.

Comment

Hey,
          At first I wasn't very impressed with the pictures, but those last two were awesome! Great photography! Those should be in the gallery or something.

Slats
          -------------
          John 17:3
          -------------

Comment

Nice result!

Comment

Originally posted by JaguarXJ6
              For those deep scratches in the pictures not catchable by fingernail, what abrasive would you recommend, something around a level 8 followed by #83 (a level 6) then a glaze?

Sunny
              I wouldn't use any cleaner rated above "level 6" with your PC...Just continue (Repeat) with what you have until the scratch is gone, or less noticeable.
              r. b.

Comment

great job - especially when you compare the before and after shots of your trunk and the mirror reflection of the bottle of tech wax.

I too recently used a PC for the first time. great tool for a novice - no going back !

Comment

Looks great man. Love the depth.

Comment

Originally posted by JaguarXJ6
                    Thank you for the tips! I will definitely try that. What are your thoughts on #7 afterwards instead? Or is the slight action of the #82 that paves the way for upkeep using #7 and NXT later?

The main reason I bought the PC was so I can glaze my car with less effort and to be able to remove slight imperfections. For those deep scratches in the pictures not catchable by fingernail, what abrasive would you recommend, something around a level 8 followed by #83 (a level 6) then a glaze?

Sunny
                    here's what I do for my paint (black). #83 only if needed, you will find sometimes you won't need it.
                    #82 ( similar to #9 if thats easier to find) for light swirls and gloss
                    #81 ( similar to #7) for even more shine and gloss and depth.
                    than nxt or #26. I know that soulds like alot but with a pc and practice you can breeze right though it.
                    Last edited by 2000; May 5, 2004, 07:21 AM.
                    2019 GMC Sierra
                    1500 AT4

Comment

Comment

Nothing new to report here. On Sat, I just spent 4 hours claying (top surfaces), buffing with #83, applying #82, and then a coat of NXT on a black 2002 Mustang GT owned by my roommate. It was covered in more spider webbing than the Audi but much less deep. It came out better than the Audi, but there were some isolated scratches it will take me a some time to remove. Second time out and I'm definitely getting better. The owners are so aghast at the difference, I can pretty much say, let me do your other car, and they are all for it.

The Mustang was only 25% finished by the time the sun set, and it was in the garage, so I completed it by a 125w florescent light. No before pics, he was changing plugs, air filter, and PCV for the first time, along with checking brakes, so it was too much to take shots (given the lighting as well) before and after. When its back tonight, I plan to wipe down and take some shots under bright gas station florescent lighting. Then some this Sat in daylight. If its not already thrashed.

Next up is his ebony black XJR that has some moderate fading on the roof and trunk with also some deep spider webbing on different spots on the roof and the trunk. A vast majority of my experience is with Jag paint from the 50's until present. After being able to quantify my results with pics and by doing other cars, and now his Mustang, I have the green light to give the XJR my best. (I hope he's not keeping tabs on the thread, LOL!) Will make sure to take pics this time!

Once my Jag is out of the shop in a couple weeks, *hopefully*, I can do my own car with the PC I bought for it specfically!

Sunny

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');