• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oxidation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxidation

I've used ColorX and like it for small areas of work (since it does equire a bit of elbow grease)

but now I've got a car to do with considerable (read major) global oxidation...what are ya'll using to optimize results while not forgetting the time factor (I don't think I could finish the car in a reasonable amount of time with just colorX)

DACP on a rotary?

Typically MPPC is my number one oxidation remover. I rely on 82 & 83 for more severe issues and decide what the next step(s) will be after I wash, clay and use MPPC.

MPPC is hardly abrasive but removes oxidation quite well using chemical cleaners.
    Last edited by jfelbab; Jun 15, 2004, 02:00 PM.
    Jim
    My Gallery

Comment

Hi 6318,

Is this car with the Global Oxidation, a single-stage finish? or a clear coat finish?

Mike

p.s.

I kind of like that term, i.e. Global Oxidation. I guess GO needs to go into the Acronym list?
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

lol
        or we could call it 'GlO'...has a certain ring to it

It has a clear coat finish...a black Lexus!...painful to see...

Comment

Hi 6318,

If possible, could you document the before and after of this particular detail?

There are many people that don't believe clear coat finishes oxidize, it would be nice to have some good before pictures of a oxidized clear coated black Lexus.

If you're going to use a rotary to machine clean this finish, I would suggest either of the below products with either a W-8006 or a W-8000 foam pad.

#83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish

Speed Glaze

or even,

Quick Detailer

After the rotary step, I would recommend going over the finish again with either the #83 or the #83 with a PC and then apply your favorite wax.

Mike
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

There are many people that don't believe clear coat finishes oxidize
            Weird...
            ...now, granted I'm fairly new in this business and don't have the experience of many here, but I don't understand why clear paint can't oxidize (and become hazy) just like colored paint can...
            Where I work are multiple cars that should be clear coated with what APPEARS (I should say) obvious GlO...I'll try taking some pics of them and seeing if you agree...
            Last edited by 6318; Jun 15, 2004, 12:04 PM.

Comment

The reason some people don't beleive clear coat paints oxidize is because clear coat paints oxidize more slowly than traditional single stage paints.

It's also less apparent on a clear coat compared to a single stage.

Mike
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Hummm. I've done a couple of black Lexus GS's recently and neither was clear coated. What year and model do you have and have you tested the finish to confirm it's clear-coated? Take a pad and some abrasive polish or a cleaner/wax to an inconspicuous spot an see if the pad turns black.

My experience with these vehicles leads me to think that Lexus doen't clear-coat it's black paint.
                Last edited by jfelbab; Jun 15, 2004, 02:20 PM.
                Jim
                My Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by jfelbab
                  Hummm. I've done a couple of black Lexus GS's recently and neither was clear coated. What year and model do you have and have you tested the finish to confirm it's clear-coated? Take a pad and some abrasive polish or a cleaner/wax to an inconspicuous spot an see if the pad turns black.
                  jfelbab has a great point, I made the mistake of assuming the Lexus had a clear coat being a high end luxury car and all, but it is possible that it's a single stage finish.

Test it for paint type to see if it's cleared or not, if it's not, I would be curious as to the year of the car.

If it is a single stage finish, you could still use the above product with the rotary, but be careful when buffing around edges and high points. There's no way to know who has buffed the car out before you and how aggressive they may have been.

Mike
                  Mike Phillips
                  760-515-0444
                  showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                    flab has a great point, I made the mistake of assuming the Lexus had a clear coat being a high end luxury car and all, but it is possible that it's a single stage finish.

Test it for paint type to see if it's cleared or not, if it's not, I would be curious as to the year of the car.

If it is a single stage finish, you could still use the above product with the rotary, but be careful when buffing around edges and high points. There's no way to know who has buffed the car out before you and how aggressive they may have been.

Mike
                    Gee, Mike, I don't think I've ever been called flab before. Perhaps I'm not working out enough.

The two black GS's I recently detailed were a 1998 and a 2000.

When I bought my 2004 Lexus RX330 the salesman told me that none of the black paints were cc.
                    Last edited by jfelbab; Jun 15, 2004, 05:42 PM.
                    Jim
                    My Gallery

Comment

this thread got me thinking of the difference on c/c and s/s paints, I know mike did an article on it and I can't find it. anyone know where I can locate it?
                      2019 GMC Sierra
                      1500 AT4

Comment

When I bought my 2004 Lexus RX330 the salesman told me that none of the black paints were cc.
                        I've heard the same thing about black Lexus.....SIngle stage only, no clear coat.

Comment

Whoops! Sorry about that. This would be me clicking on the wrong option of the built in spelling checker for vbulletin. Sorry, I could have swore I clicked Ignore when spell checking.

Here's a link to a spell checker passed onto us by RockPick,

ieSpell

Over the years, I almost always copy and paste everything into MSWord, format and then spell-check my writing, and then copy and paste back into the vbulletin message window. This time I must have clicked the wrong option. Completely unintentional on my part.

I'll go change my mistake.

Mike
                          Mike Phillips
                          760-515-0444
                          showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                            Whoops! Sorry about that. This would be me clicking on the wrong option of the built in spelling checker for vbulletin. Sorry, I could have swore I clicked Ignore when spell checking.

Here's a link to a spell checker passed onto us by RockPick,

ieSpell

Over the years, I almost always copy and paste everything into MSWord, format and then spell-check my writing, and then copy and paste back into the vbulletin message window. This time I must have clicked the wrong option. Completely unintentional on my part.

I'll go change my mistake.

Mike
                            Hey Mike,

Trying to shift the blame to Microsoft?

I was not offended, just pullin your leg a bit.

I've been called a lot worse.
                            Last edited by jfelbab; Jun 15, 2004, 05:43 PM.
                            Jim
                            My Gallery

Comment

Hey Mike,

Trying to shift the blame to Microsoft?

I was not offended, just pullin your leg a bit.

I've been called a lot worse.
                              Yeah me too...

Mike
                              Mike Phillips
                              760-515-0444
                              showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');