• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Hasn't Meguiar's Introduced a Paint Coating Product Yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Hasn't Meguiar's Introduced a Paint Coating Product Yet?

Are there plans to introduce a coating product soon?

If not, what reservations does Meguiar's have introducing this new technology to its current inventory?

It seems that all the other major detailing manufactures are introducing coatings as part of the new lineup as it's supposedly the latest and greatest detailing product to hit the market in years.

I only ask, because whether it be detailing clay, polish, microfiber, or even a spray bottle, I always give the Meguiar's brand a chance due to its reputation in manufacturing high quality products.

Re: Why Hasn't Meguiar's Introduced a Paint Coating Product Yet?

Meguiar's has had paint coatings in other markets for a few years actually. Just not in the US market.

Comment

You will have to be like the rest of us and patiently wait until that day comes when or if that happens. I would rather they get the product right then to introduce something with lackluster performance.

I waited as long as I could but I had to choose a coating when I did my dad's car. I would have gone with Meguiar's if there was one available.

But yes there was a coating overseas.
      99 Grand Prix
      02 Camaro SS

Comment

Meguiars Deep Crystal Coat kit M18802.......ebay 159.00

Comment

What is the difference between a wax (or even Meguiar's Paint Protect) and a coating?

Comment

Originally posted by rqk View Post
            What is the difference between a wax (or even Meguiar's Paint Protect) and a coating?
            This should help you out.

Coatings require more prep work but are supposed to be require less maintenance.

3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings In an effort to help standardize terms used in the detailing industry, now that CQuartz and Opti-Coat

Originally posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
            3-Categories: Waxes, Paint Sealants and Coatings

In an effort to help standardize terms used in the detailing industry, now that CQuartz and Opti-Coat 2.0 are mainstream, there are three general categories in the "Protection" category

Waxes
            Paint Sealants
            Coatings

Waxes
            Generally defined as any product that contains a natural or synthetic waxy ingredients that are intended to protect the paint and/or add beauty to the paint. These types traditional waxes will wear off under normal wear-n-tear, repeated washings and exposure to the environment.

Paint Sealants
            Generally defined as any protection product that contains man-made or synthetic ingredients that are intended to protect the paint and/or add beauty to the paint. These traditional sealants will wear off under normal wear-n-tear, repeated washings and exposure to the environment.

Coatings
            Generally defined as any paint protection product that contains man-made or synthetic protection ingredients that are intended to permanently bond to the paint to both provide a barrier-coating of protection as well as create a clear, high gloss finish. The products available in this category are considered permanent coatings because like your car's paint, they cannot be removed unless you purposefully remove them or you purposefully neglect them.

Definition of permanent in the context of sealing paint
            This is kind of tricky just because the nature of discussion forums is for some personality types to read super literal into each and every single word, in this case the word permanent.

In the context that we refer to coating as permanent it means that once the coating is properly applied and allowed to cure and set-up, it will not come off under normal circumstances or via normal wear-n-tear such as careful washing. So in this context, a coating is permanent in the same manner your car's paint is permanent.

The paint on your car is not going to come off unless you abrade it, chemically dissolve it or in some other mechanical means, purposefully remove it. In this same way, legitimate paint coatings are not going to come off unless you abrade it, chemically dissolve it or on some other mechanical means, purposefully remove it.

Traditional car waxes and paint sealants will wear off under normal use circumstances or via normal wear-n-tear such as careful washing. So in the context of and in comparison with traditional car waxes and paint sealants, paint coatings are permanent.

Examples of Waxes and Paint Sealants can be found here,

How To Choose The Right Wax or Paint Sealant for your Detailing Project

Two new coatings now available at Autogeek.net are,

Optimum Polymer Technologies

Optimum Opti-Coat 2.0 Permanent Paint Coating

CarPro Innovative Nano Coats

CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection 10 milliliters

CQuartz Ceramic Quartz Paint Protection 30 milliliters

99 Grand Prix
            02 Camaro SS

Comment

that would go against everything they do. preserve & protect, or correct a defect. It's like the detailer's out there who wrap their vans & trailers, what are you thinking!
              NXT Institute West Coast 'Class of 2015'

Comment

My two opinionated cents: Coatings are not worth my time, give an inherently false sense of security, and I agree with Clean, they seem to go against the Meguiar's "Car Crazy" philosophy.

I want my paint and its finish to breathe, particularly given weather swings. I want a deep dark wet look, not a shallow glossy plasti-dipped look. All things equal, the car is still going to get dirty and build up defects regardless of any coating, so it still has to be cleaned and corrected, and even coatings eventually wear/wash off, lots of money gone with them.

Coatings are always oversold, too, and often sound like some tin foil hat conspiracy against waxes and wax companies. Yet, every time I see a truly great looking finish at a car show, I ask the owner about it. I've yet to hear anyone say they used a coating. They always say say it was a regular consumer wax/sealant you could buy from a store.
                Non-Garaged Daily Driver, DAMF System + M101, Carnauba Finish Enthusiast
                4-Step | Zen Detailing | Undercarriage | DAMF Upgrade |
                First Correction | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Clean'03 View Post
                  that would go against everything they do. preserve & protect, or correct a defect. It's like the detailer's out there who wrap their vans & trailers, what are you thinking!
                  Originally posted by Top Gear View Post
                  My two opinionated cents: Coatings are not worth my time, give an inherently false sense of security, and I agree with Clean, they seem to go against the Meguiar's "Car Crazy" philosophy.

I want my paint and its finish to breathe, particularly given weather swings. I want a deep dark wet look, not a shallow glossy plasti-dipped look. All things equal, the car is still going to get dirty and build up defects regardless of any coating, so it still has to be cleaned and corrected, and even coatings eventually wear/wash off, lots of money gone with them.

Coatings are always oversold, too, and often sound like some tin foil hat conspiracy against waxes and wax companies. Yet, every time I see a truly great looking finish at a car show, I ask the owner about it. I've yet to hear anyone say they used a coating. They always say say it was a regular consumer wax/sealant you could buy from a store.
                  I'm going to have to slightly disagree a bit. A coating preserves and protects. To me that fits in to the so called Meguiar's philosophy. It's the longest form of protection. Like everything else, coatings are not for everyone. The market for them is still growing. It may not be liked by everyone but coatings are becoming the future of paint protection. Enthusiast on a forum like this are a small number compared to the average consumer. A consumer hears long lasting protection with little maintenance and see's that as a huge benefit. Some coatings will even offer better scratch resistance. That is also seen as a plus.

I heard this analogy from Renny Doyle. He's right on point. Take two popsicle sticks. Place one in a Dixie cup fixed with 30ml of any good coating. Take the other and place it in a Dixie cup of the same 30ml of a sealant or wax. Allow both to dry for three days. Pull the popsicle stick out of the cup of coating. You will have a Plexiglas lollipop. That's what's on your car. Pull the popsicle stick out of the sealant or wax. You'll have a smeared, messy popsicle stick. Which would you want protecting your paint? Its a great selling prop to show prospective clients.

A coating is ideal for a daily driver. Also any swirls that will happen will be in the coating versus being in the paint. I must say after coating my dad's car, it's much easier to clean.

For someone who enters car shows then a coating is not for them. Stick with a wax or sealant.

Meguiar's made a huge leap with Paint Protect. That's as close to a coating as one can get. Hopefully this is the start of something that leads to an eventual coating. The market is ready for it.

The ability to pick and choose the right combination that works for the individual is the beauty of being "car crazy".
                  99 Grand Prix
                  02 Camaro SS

Comment

Originally posted by DasBurninator View Post
                    Meguiar's has had paint coatings in other markets for a few years actually. Just not in the US market.
                    Well then, what's the delay?
                    Are there regulatory or safety reasons why they can't be marketed here in the US?

Comment

Originally posted by The Guz View Post
                      I'm going to have to slightly disagree a bit. A coating preserves and protects. To me that fits in to the so called Meguiar's philosophy. It's the longest form of protection. Like everything else, coatings are not for everyone. The market for them is still growing. It may not be liked by everyone but coatings are becoming the future of paint protection. Enthusiast on a forum like this are a small number compared to the average consumer. A consumer hears long lasting protection with little maintenance and see's that as a huge benefit. Some coatings will even offer better scratch resistance. That is also seen as a plus.

I heard this analogy from Renny Doyle. He's right on point. Take two popsicle sticks. Place one in a Dixie cup fixed with 30ml of any good coating. Take the other and place it in a Dixie cup of the same 30ml of a sealant or wax. Allow both to dry for three days. Pull the popsicle stick out of the cup of coating. You will have a Plexiglas lollipop. That's what's on your car. Pull the popsicle stick out of the sealant or wax. You'll have a smeared, messy popsicle stick. Which would you want protecting your paint? Its a great selling prop to show prospective clients.

A coating is ideal for a daily driver. Also any swirls that will happen will be in the coating versus being in the paint. I must say after coating my dad's car, it's much easier to clean.

For someone who enters car shows then a coating is not for them. Stick with a wax or sealant.

Meguiar's made a huge leap with Paint Protect. That's as close to a coating as one can get. Hopefully this is the start of something that leads to an eventual coating. The market is ready for it.

The ability to pick and choose the right combination that works for the individual is the beauty of being "car crazy".
                      IDK That popsicle stick thing is apples and oranges,A thin coat on paint is not the same as a popsicle stick with an inches thick coating, Use a paste wax on a 40 degree day and you will have a block of wax on your stick, so what? To me that analogy doesn't really make sense but that's just me

Comment

I do like the idea of a coating though especially if you've cut a significant amount of paint with UC or m105 ultra cutting compound

Comment

Pardon me for digging up an old thread, but while searching for an answer to the very question asked by the original poster, I come across this small thread with no response from Meguiar's personnel. Just curious about the position my favorite manufacture has to "coatings". I've been through the lengthy Paint Protect thread btw. Just haven't seen any news that Meg's is diving into the category of coatings.

Comment

I've wondered this also. I've never used a paint coating, and don't have an intention to at this point for a few reasons. At the risk of sounding like a "fangirl", I would be more likely to consider it if Meguiar's offered one.
                            Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                            Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                            2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

Originally posted by Lydia View Post
                              I've wondered this also. I've never used a paint coating, and don't have an intention to at this point for a few reasons. At the risk of sounding like a "fangirl", I would be more likely to consider it if Meguiar's offered one.
                              Meguiar's has just released Ultimate Fast Finish so that would be a coating product. To be honest though, Meguiar's #16 lasts for months (even through the salty crud of Canadian winters, lasts longer than Dodo Juice Super Natural) and Meguiar's Ultimate Wax lasts for a really long time as well on a properly prepared paint surface. If I didn't have 2 or 4 tins of #16 I'd try something else out lol.
                              2015 Fiat 500 Abarth.
                              2011 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec-V using AMSOIL synthetics. Best 1/4 mile: 14.959 (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');