• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Accord Revisited- M80 & D151 vs Soft Honda Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accord Revisited- M80 & D151 vs Soft Honda Paint

This Honda Accord was detailed before for a wedding about 2 years ago. The details of that detail (heheheh) can be seen here:

The last time it was detailed, M80 was used with an ROB and the results were fantastic.After hearing so much about D151 from my fellow Malaysian detailing fanatic, KC, I wanted to try it out myself and compare it with the M80 which worked so well before.

I was expecting this detail to be a simple one but it would turn out to be otherwise with the soft Honda paint.

Some before shots:

Doesn't look too bad from far....

Upon closer inspection...

Washed the wheels and wheel wells with APC 1:10 and agitated with various brushes and rinsed off with water:

Clayed the car after wash. There seemed to be a lot of contaminants on the paint surface which was removed by the clay.

Took a few pictures of the paint defects before starting work.

Plenty of swirls, RIDS and dull oxidized paint. No problem.... or so I thought.

50/50 with M80/W8006 on a Makita rotary. Big improvement with the swirls mostly removed after one pass.

D151/W8006 after one pass.

A shot of M80 (left) and D151 (right). Both looked similar so decided to stick with D151 (inspired by KC).

It looks alright with most of the swirls and oxidization removed. Normally this would be followed by plenty of successful after shots BUT....

Upon closer inspection..... some hazing left behind by the rotary.

What followed was a battle with the soft Honda paint. (Wiping off the polish with a MF towel could cause some slight scratches if too much pressure was applied.)

Various products were tried out with the Makita and my trusty ROB but I could not find a one step solution to get rid of the swirls and also produce a haze free finish. It was quite frustrating trying to find that one elusive product hence the lack of more pictures. I am wondering if M205 would have done the job. (Need to get some when Meg's Malaysia brings it in.)

After a few hours, I finally settled on D151/Yellow Solo Wool pad/Makita for correction followed by D151/W8006/ROB to finish.

By this time is was quite late in the night and I decided to call it a day after finishing a few panels.

Some after shots on the areas which were completed, taken the next day after a good nights sleep:

To be continued another day......
    Detailing blog: prodetailing.blogspot.com
    Everything else: theseech.blogspot.com

Re: Accord Revisited- M80 & D151 vs Soft Honda Paint

nice job on the Accord bringing back the reflections...
    yea most Honda cars have soft paint that may cause marring after a rotary job :]...
    Ganesa,
    Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

The standard of master seech's work is worth a thousand admiration
      by painting this beautiful painting
      it only takes a little patience and plenty of PASSION!!

detailing blog

http://thedetailers.blogspot.com

Comment

Tq. Master KC. It is your inspiration with 151 that caused this madness.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganesa View Post
          nice job on the Accord bringing back the reflections...
          yea most Honda cars have soft paint that may cause marring after a rotary job :]...
          Ganesa, the paint was very difficult to work with. It required a two step process. Need to find time to continue the rest of the car....

Comment

good work good work
            it only takes a little patience and plenty of PASSION!!

detailing blog

http://thedetailers.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by seech View Post
              Ganesa, the paint was very difficult to work with. It required a two step process. Need to find time to continue the rest of the car....
              My friends here, usually follow up the detail with a DA after using a rotary.. :]
              Ganesa,
              Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

Originally posted by Ganesa View Post
                My friends here, usually follow up the detail with a DA after using a rotary.. :]
                I think black is the best color to work on as it is so unforgiving. Good practice.

Comment

yup, I think the black and red colors of Honda's give amazing results...
                  just great to see a 50-50 shot on those two colors :]
                  Ganesa,
                  Toyota Vios '05

Comment

You brought it back to life. The paint looks great. Keep up the good work.
                    quality creates its own demand

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');