• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zaino Z2Pro vs Meguiar's #16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zaino Z2Pro vs Meguiar's #16

I decided to do a bit of a test today on the Nissan. It was in the 60's today, though drizzling on and off. So I washed the Nissan and then pulled it into the garage. I decided to half-and-half the hood.

First I went over the whole hood with Meguiar's Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner. That seemed to be the prep product I own that was the least likely to leave anything behind. I applied it by hand, and the finish was nice and squeaky. It was previously mildly slick from the AutoGlym EGP I applied a few weeks back. I then taped off the hood, and did a 50/50 wipe on the driver's side. This is the side that will get Zaino. Interestingly, it no longer squeaked after the wipedown, so I guess MPPC does leave something behind.

I also MPPC'd the two mirror housings. They are a single-stage black that gets chalky after a few months. The MPPC removed any chalkyness though they were not a high-gloss.

I was intending to apply Z2Pro with ZFX and do three coats. But my ZFX is a solid now. So I applied one coat of Z2Pro to the drivers side hood and mirror housing.

I then applied #16 to the passenger side hood and mirror housing.

Both went on easily. The Z2Pro had noticeably more black on the pad from the mirror housing. I even tried rubbing the #16 with some force/vigor and could not put much black on the applicator (though some did transfer). I've never used any product on them that didn't transfer some amount of black to the pad.

I waited about 5-10 minutes and then buffed them off. Both mirror housings now had a nice glossy black to them. This is also typical of other products I use on them, and the gloss only lasts while the product is there, the housings are sort of dull on their own.

When I pulled the car back outside to park it, the hood is clearly glossier than the rest of the car. The paint seems to have little gloss on its own anymore, it comes from whatever protectant is on the paint. The rest of the car has AutoGlym EGP that is probably 3-4 weeks old. It also looked glossy back when it was freshly applied.

I will probably wash the car about once a month or so, and will use Meguiar's Gold Class Car Wash. I won't use any QD's or anything else on the paint. I'll let you know how they fair as time goes on.
    1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
    2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
    1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

That's an interesting comparison. Any big diff in how the two sides look?
    Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Keep us posted. I'm doind something similar with M21 on one side of a hood and M20 on the other...just to see what happens as time goes on.
      Couple weeks now and their still pretty much neck and neck from what I can see
      HammerDown

Comment

That's interesting.... but it seems to me that these two products aren't really in the same class/category? Z2Pro is a polymer synthetic sealant, whereas #16 is an "old-school style" carnauba paste wax. What exactly are you testing for?

Comment

Originally posted by Accumulator
          That's an interesting comparison. Any big diff in how the two sides look?
          Well, it's a bright green color. It pretty much looks glossy or it doesn't. The paint is kind of hurting, so gloss comes from the LSP. I can't tell that there is any half and half at all, except the hood is glossier than the rest of the car. Both sides look the same to me. On the mirror housings, the #16 one looked a bit blacker, but it could have just been the light.

SLD, I'm testing for durability. The Nissan isn't typically kind to sealants. #16 is the longest-lasting thing I've used on it. I want to see if Z2Pro will change that.

Comment

Aurora40- OK, gotcha. Heh heh, that "bright green color" sounds like something only a few of us would like

Not really surprised that the #16 looked a bit blacker on the mirror housings, but sometimes it too can give that "shiny but sorta gray from some angles" look like sealants will (when used on a poorly-prepped surface) if you know what I mean.
            Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Here's a picture of back when I did a #16 vs Blitz on the hood. This shot is before the waxing:

The car looked the same this time, just a few more chips in the hood. But you can see the fuzzy reflections in it. Not like orange peel that just distorts, but rather soft/fuzzy looking. The paint has had better days (I assume, it's looked like this for a while).

Accumulator, it is a color only a few could like. And I'm not one of them. The car looks like a jelly bean to me. But it was my wife's before we were married...

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora40
                Accumulator, it is a color only a few could like. And I'm not one of them. The car looks like a jelly bean to me. But it was my wife's before we were married...
                Yikes, I like all sorts of greens but that one doesn't do it for me either.

At least you didn't have to replace her pre-marriage car so it didn't rust-stain your driveway like I did Once I started buying her cars I knew the marriage proposal was only a matter of time.
                Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Just a quick trivial update. It snowed Thursday night, and then sleeted. So the snow on the car was quite dense. Yesterday morning, I brushed it off as best I could while leaving the bottom layer behind. However, it just slid off while driving to work. The hood was subsequently left rather clean, and water was running off it and beading on both sides quite well.

I still can't tell a visual difference in the two sides. I might wash it this weekend, and if so I'll try to snap a pict of the hood beading. But so far so good on both sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora40
                    Just a quick trivial update. It snowed Thursday night, and then sleeted. So the snow on the car was quite dense. Yesterday morning, I brushed it off as best I could while leaving the bottom layer behind. However, it just slid off while driving to work...
                    I don't know whats the worst of two evils...fully trying to remove the Snow first or letting a large sheet of snow/ice "slide" off the hood/roof. I've gotten some pretty bad scratches both ways
                    HammerDown

Comment

Keep us updated, Bob. I've used both products too and got excellent results with each. I prefer #16 though, since there is no mixing involved. Apply, wait 60 seconds, remove. Couldn't be any easier!
                      Owner, Scott's Mobile Auto Detailing

Comment

60 secs ??? sounds a little fast that means you could do your whole car in under 30 mins !
                        Patrick Yu
                        2003 Honda Accord
                        2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

It's been 3.5 weeks now. It got into the 50's today so I washed the Nissan. I used Gold Class car wash as I said. There has been salt on the roads as it has snowed at least once, and we had a deluge of rain one evening when it was right around freezing, that turned into hellacious ice by morning. So the car is quite salty.

Upon hosing the car off, the difference in the hood was rather dramatic. You could literally see the line down it. I use the Ultimate Nozzle, so here is after hosing down the whole hood and giving it about 30 seconds to a minute to sit:

This is the same after washing and rinsing the hood:

The mirror housings had the same effect. After washing and rinsing them, the #16 mirror housing would shed water quicky after hosing. This is about 10 seconds after soaking it:

The Z2Pro mirror had the water just cling to it in a big blob, it very slowly would pull away from the top edges:

The feel was different as well. The #16 side of the hood was easier to dry, the towel slid over it more easily (even for the final pass) while the Z2Pro side had much more drag and was harder to dry on the final pass. The mirror housings felt the same way after drying, to the touch the #16 housing felt somewhat slick, the Z2Pro housing not at all. At this point there doesn't seem to be any real reason to continue the experiment. I will see about getting some ZFX and trying that. However, I really doubt it will make a difference.

While I certainly don't contend #16 will last more than Z2Pro, and I doubt that Zaino would fail as quickly on other cars I own, in this case it definitely didn't hold up as long and see no reason to use it on the Nissan. I have had similar results with Klasse on the Nissan, and to a lesser extent with Autoglym (the EGP on the rest of the car wasn't doing well at this washing either, though it has been on about 8 weeks). Yet Klasse has lasted about 4-6 weeks on the Aurora now and is kicking butt in spite of the salt exposure and general lack of frequent washings. So certainly it's as much the car as the product.

Comment

Hi:

Thanks for doing this.

Very interesting, I really was expecting different results.

Why do you think it is the paint causing the difference?

Regards,

KTruck
                            Make it Shine

Comment

Aurora40- Thanks for the update. Yeah, some paints/surfaces just respond better to some products than they do to others. Once you find what works for you you're all set, no matter what others say about their favorite products
                              Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');