• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overview/History of the industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overview/History of the industry?

As most of the regulars probably know, I'm also a college student in addition to being a weekend-detailer. I have a class right now covering the (boring) subject of PowerPoint, and I find myself in need of putting a presentation together including a history/overview of an industry, and then offering up a business plan.

The business plan part I've got down pat, as I just copied what I did for my detailing business last year. As far as a history/overview, however, I'm hard pressed to find anything very comprehensive (aside from Meguiar's corporate history/etc.... which is a bit too specific for my needs).

Does anyone out there have, or know of anything like this? Even a textbook or I-CAR publication perhaps? (Or, Mike, if you see this thread, is there something you've written in a more broad sense for trainings/etc?) Any help is greatly appreciated at this point.

I'm already planning to lug in my G100, rotary, a few pads, and bottles of product (maybe I'll grab the 32oz. "80 series" products I have on hand) as props.... so any other suggestions for this type of project would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Anyone?

Comment

Nobody seems to know much about detailing history, much less care. In the early part of the last century most cars were painted with color varnish. The cars were flo painted,dipped, and brushed. Spray guns were not invented yet.The finnish was very beautiful , but didnt last very long. People used oil on there cars to make them shine. Of course they attracted a lot of dust. THe wax of choice at the time was Simonize Paste Wax, and that helped to keep the paint in good condition ,if you did it often enough. At the time the best way to polish a car was with a product called Rottenstone. It was a gray powder .that you mixed with water.It did do the job.Things progressed from their. I hope this gets you started in the history of car detailing.

Comment

Maybe you could do the history of products (even just Meguiar's) instead of the industry? There would be MUCH more information on that.

Comment

Detailing used to be a "dealer only" service. Its growth came from the burgeoning used car market brought about after WWII.
          See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Originally posted by showtime
            Maybe you could do the history of products (even just Meguiar's) instead of the industry? There would be MUCH more information on that.
            Granted... but I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "professional detailing" as we know it today, and what prompted the growth of our businesses as reconditioning and maintenance for the everyday person, unaffiliated with a dealership.

I know from seeing Superior Shine's thread about the old-school rub out, that there were rather "unorthodox" (at least by modern standards) practices like the kerosene and corn starch polish, etc... but I dunno if talking about those will work. I'll have to see if the instructor would be happy with that focus/direction. And, if he is, I'll have to start begging Mike (and/or Joe) for some pics of their "antiques" collection

Comment

Ask and ye shall recieve--

This is about half on my collection.
              Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Thanks, Joe! I'm sure that will make it onto one of my slides, regardless which direction I go with the information. Now, to keep searching Google (to no avail so far!)

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');