• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with windshield haze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with windshield haze

I'm having a problem with my 2005 Tacoma windshield hazing when I use the windshield wipers. When the wiper makes a pass over the windshield, it creates a haze that last for just a second and then it disappears as if it evaporates. Then when the wiper makes another pass, the cycle starts over. Wiper cleans the windshield, haze appears, haze disappears, wiper cleans windsheild, etc..

The problem is really bad at night when meeting oncoming traffic. The combination of haze and headlight glare makes it impossible to see the road. What can I do to fix this problem? Is it the wiper blades (only 3 months old)? I've had this problem on older vehicles and changing the wiper blades did not help. Maybe there is a special wiper blade I can try. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Try cleaning the wiper blades with alcohol. I use the little presoaked squares from the drug store. They also keep my K-9's ears very clean. Good luck!
    Death Before Dishonor

Comment

In south texas this is a big problem for me too with the night humidity. The problem appears to be mositure being spread evenly ( a good thing) and evaporating slowly (bad thing). Your windshield is not slick enough and is just smearing the water into the windshield. Try rainx windshield wax, or I use my regular wax of choice (Gold Class Paste). Just a very thin coat will seal off your windshield, aiding in the removal of water rather than just spreading it. Try it You will like it!!
      PS Be sure to clean the windshield very well prior to sealing it.

I hope this helps!!
      http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Re: Help with windshield haze

Originally posted by scroyal05
        I'm having a problem with my 2005 Tacoma windshield hazing when I use the windshield wipers. When the wiper makes a pass over the windshield, it creates a haze that last for just a second and then it disappears as if it evaporates. Then when the wiper makes another pass, the cycle starts over. Wiper cleans the windshield, haze appears, haze disappears, wiper cleans windsheild, etc..

The problem is really bad at night when meeting oncoming traffic. The combination of haze and headlight glare makes it impossible to see the road. What can I do to fix this problem? Is it the wiper blades (only 3 months old)? I've had this problem on older vehicles and changing the wiper blades did not help. Maybe there is a special wiper blade I can try. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
        Just out of curiosity. How do you currently maintain these windows? Do you use Rain-X? Or do you wax them. In other words, what products do you use on them. Also what is in your windshield fluid Resevoir?
        Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

I have a MBZ one blade wiper. My blade wipes the windshield clean, but I do get that quick flash of like fog on the windshield then it disappears. Thats normal. However, you can try cleaning the outside and inside of your windshield and wipe the blade down with a wet towel.

Comment

The only products I've used on the windshield are Meguiar's NXT Glass Cleaner and I wash with NXT Car Wash. I've tried RainX on other cars in the past, but it seems to make the haze worse. RainX is awesome until the rain get so hard that you have to use the wipers. When you use the wipers, the haze is really bad with RainX (at least that been my experience with the product).

I have noticed that when I clean the glass with NXT Glass Cleaner and my microfiber towel, the glass does not seem very slick. In fact, I have a hard time getting the towel to slide smoothly over the glass. I have to stop several times and refold the towel and wipe again. Is this normal?

Thanks for the tips. I will try these.

Comment

Originally posted by scroyal05
              The only products I've used on the windshield are Meguiar's NXT Glass Cleaner and I wash with NXT Car Wash. I've tried RainX on other cars in the past, but it seems to make the haze worse. RainX is awesome until the rain get so hard that you have to use the wipers. When you use the wipers, the haze is really bad with RainX (at least that been my experience with the product).

I have noticed that when I clean the glass with NXT Glass Cleaner and my microfiber towel, the glass does not seem very slick. In fact, I have a hard time getting the towel to slide smoothly over the glass. I have to stop several times and refold the towel and wipe again. Is this normal?

Thanks for the tips. I will try these.
              I notice the same with the NXT glass cleaner. I tend to think that comes from having "CLEAN" glass.
              Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

My windshield does the same thing and the conclusion I came to is that I need to give my window a deep cleaning. There is a thread on this forum about cleaning windshields using Heavy Cut Cleaner. I am going to try this when I make my next order for products. I had been using RainX but as some people have said, it's just putting RainX over the road film that has accumulated.

I've tried NXT Glass Cleaner, Stoner's Invisible Glass, Claying and everything else I could think of. Once I try #4 Heavy Cut I will report back the results.

Comment

I've also been having this problem. I have been using the rain-x windshield washer fluid, both "bug remover" and the "de-icer", for about a year now. I love it during the day, but it is tough to at night sometimes.

I look forward to hearing the results of the heavy-duty cleaner.

Comment

Instead of heavy cut which I know is effective try Rain-x windshield service kit @ Strauss Auto, or similar type auto store. The kit includes a special cleaner similar in viscosity to toothpaste, it has very good cleaning capabilities & washes off with water. It has worked for me for years.
                    Death Before Dishonor

Comment

I finally tried out the Heavy Cut Cleaner and can say that it made a tremendous difference. I can see areas where I missed but after 1 or 2 more applications it should be completely clear. It takes a lot of elbow grease but it turned out better than anything else I had tried.

Comment

Hey,

I use the #4 Heavy-Cut Cleaner with the rotary and a W-7006 Cutting pad on the glass. This leaves the glass looking fantastic!!! But if you are using the rotary buffer, you must be careful around the windshiled gaskets as they can be marred easily with the rotary and a cutting pad.

Tim
                        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

This is one thing that I have researched and done on my own car. SAAB 95 Areo. I had streaking, waterspots, hazing.
                          First purchase a good blade with a spoiler (bosch icon seems to work best for me because of the issue of ice build up in the winter and heat of the summer) this should take care of having a good contact with the windshield.
                          The windshield is contantly hit with contanaments, including the wax cycle at a automatic carwash. This all builds up, beyond what you can see.
                          I don't believe in adding a sealant or a type of wax to the outside of a windshield because as the blade slides over it, it starts to break down and pick up the residue of the sealant or wax onto the blade and reduces its effectiveness (hazing, streaking).
                          What I use is white vinegar $1.60. You can dilute 50/50 with water, get the rag wet and wipe as you would with any glass cleaner. I then wipe completley dry with a mirofiber or a cloth chamois.
                          Never use a cleanser on the rubber blades. Just a wet rag should do (normal car wash suds).
                          When things are real bad I use OOOO steel wool $2.50. Yes, steel wool. I checked with my dealers detail shop and thats what they used when I first pick up my car. 0000 is the finest finishing steel wool. When you use the steal wool use with a soapy water mix. Get the steel wool and windshield wet and wipe as you would with any glass cleaner. But be careful at the edges. DO NOT SCRATCH YOUR CAR. Then use a rag and DRY ONLY THE WINDSHIELD then discard. There might be some steel wool fibers in the drying rag, and you don't want to use that on the painted surface of your car.
                          My windshild has never looked better.
                          boxhead

Comment

lol steel wool must stay 20ft away from my car at all times im way to scared to use steel wool

i like using Windex Auto and 2 m/fs always comes out clean. I used to use stoners IG but i found the the arosol was a bit of a pain to control and i could not use it on the interior glass
                            Patrick Yu
                            2003 Honda Accord
                            2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');