• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type paint? (1991 Mazda Miata)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type paint? (1991 Mazda Miata)

My son just bought a white 1991 Mazda Miata convertible. I have not seen the car yet, but want to help him detail it, since I have all the Megs supplies and a DA. This will be his daily driver.

Does anyone know offhand what type paint this car would have (it's original)? I have not done a rubbing test to see if any color comes off onto a cloth. Or how I could find out this info on some other website? Should I call a Mazda dealer?

My initial plan is to wash, dry, clay, spot use of SX, wash, dry, #80, NXT (2). This plan is for if it is clear coat.

How might I differ this if it is single stage?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
    2006 Mercedes C-55 AMG black
    2000 BMW 328ci silver-totalled by son (no injuries)
    1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 deep amythest

On the bright side, it doesnt really matter. The same products will work just fine for single stage paint. You will however want to have new pads, or plan to not re-use after this, as they will get white paint on them if it is single stage.

As a general rule, anthing clear-coat safe is safe for single stage paint. However, single stage products may not be safe for clearcoats.

Just take it easy on any raised edges, as the paint could be a bit thin there.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525

Just take it easy on any raised edges, as the paint could be a bit thin there.

Good advice...
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Treat as normal..

Wash
        Evaluate the condition of the finish - choose products
        Clay
        Clean
        Polish
        Wax x 2

If you discover that it is a single stage finish, and it has a lot of oxidation, then after washing use your paint cleaner or cleaner/polish and remove all of the dead paint before claying or the dead paint will fill up your clay bar.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks for the advice!
          2006 Mercedes C-55 AMG black
          2000 BMW 328ci silver-totalled by son (no injuries)
          1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 deep amythest

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');