• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#83 to #80 with a rotary buffer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #83 to #80 with a rotary buffer?

I have a black car with some holograms...and I was thinking about picking up some #83 and #80 to use with my rotary and meguiars polishing and finishing pads.

is it likely that this will leave less holograms than my SMR?

i need to know before i spent $160 on a detail instead of doing it myself

Hang on a second...

BondoKing had a similar question I posetd a similar answer to...

Originally posted by BondoKing
    Hello to all, great forum btw... This is my first post so let me introduce myself to you all... I am a bodyman/painter... I have been doing this for 13 years with a 6 year layoff in the middle.. Anyways of all these years, I have used Mirror glaze products exclusively... When I am finished with a paint job, I cut with 2000 Nikkens paper ( relabeled Unigrit) and buff with Diamond cut compound... Does not matter if I use the wool pad or marron w7000 pad, then the Dual Action cleaner polish and yellow foam pad w8000 and then the swirl remover and w9000 foam pad...

Heres the worst part... After doing all of this the vehicles look great, but after a few washes and weeks they dont anymore... The problem I have been told is that Mirror Glaze is made for detailers and not really for bodyshops... A system like Norton makes, 3M or Presta is much more suited for what I do, as the mefuiars products are full of glaze and this is why my sand scratches or swirls from compounding show back up after a short time... I have also been told that the other lines dont have near as much glaze in them

Is this true??? I tried 3M this summer and thought it sucked compared to Mirror glaze, but I have got to get away from these swirls and scratches reappearing a month down the road... I know wax will make a large difference, but when you do the work I do, there is no wax going on that for a while

Someone please tell me I dont have to switch brands, and just to clarify I am in no way bad mouthing Mirror Glaze... Heck I have stuck with it for this long.. but the only thing my retailer tells me is to use wax.....and that wont work

I will post some pics of a black overall I did 5 weeks ago... Looked sweet then, not so great now.. I will get those up later tonight

Thanks

BK
    I then replied,

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
    If you want a 100% swirl free finish in any light, then your last step procedure is going to have to be re-polishing each panel with something else besides the rotary buffer.

This is one of the main reasons for the popularity in the dual action polisher. It's able to remove light scratches without leaving any swirls like the rotary.

I would recommend investing in a dual action polisher and then re-polishing each panel using our M80 Speed Glaze with our W-8006 foam polishing pad.

If you pay attention to this thread,

I'm going to document each step with photos, plus after each step I thoroughly wiped down the finish 2, 3, and even 4 times using a 50/50 mixture of Isopropyl alcohol and water to insure I had removed any ingredient from Meguiar's products that may have hid or filled in any scratches or swirls, and then I pulled the car out into direct sunlight, stood on a ladder and took multiple pictures at different angles to show there were no swirls in the finish and thus no fillers or glazes hiding imperfections.

I've discussed to death the topic of fillers on this forum in the past and it really comes down to this, the enemy calls them fillers and we call it a lubricating film that prevents the diminishing abrasives from scouring the finish.

From this thread,

Do a search using the word fillers and select Search Titles Only in the search preference option.

The word, fillers is a word used by the uniformed on other forums. Don't let yourself get trapped into that mindset. Remember there's lot of self-proclaimed guru's out there that simply copy and paste what they read and in essence act like parrots repeating information they never generated. The problem with this is that some of the information is good, while some of it is bad.

Meguiar's 80's series is water-based, correctly used they remove defects, not merely fill them in.

Here are two threads that discuss swirls and the use of the rotary buffer because in the end, in order to produce and maintain a 100% rotary buffer swirl, and cobweb swirl free finish, you're always going to have to apply something to it unless you part the car in a museum. This is true for our products and any companies products because just the act of touching a car whether by washing or wiping you can instill fine scratches that will show up in bright light like the sun.

Need Help! - How to Avoid Holograms?

How to Avoid Swirls and Holograms?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Point being, if you're aiming for 100% swirl-free flawless results in the brightest light like direct sunlight, after multiple washings, then you're going to want to re-polish each panel using a dual action polisher.

You need to get away from the last machine step being a pad rotating on the finish.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

Always so quick with a reply! I don't know how you do it...

Anyway, I guess I'll have to invest in a DA polisher. The next question is:

Will #9 2.0 be good enough to remove light hazing and holograms, or should I use something like #83 and then #80(which I hear is a good combination). Which meguiars pads would you recommend to use with the #83, #80, and #9?

Thanks!

Comment

psuvette, I recommend M82/W-9006/DA.
          zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Originally posted by psuvette
            Mike,

Always so quick with a reply! I don't know how you do it...

Anyway, I guess I'll have to invest in a DA polisher. The next question is:

Will #9 2.0 be good enough to remove light hazing and holograms, or should I use something like #83 and then #80(which I hear is a good combination). Which Meguiar's pads would you recommend to use with the #83, #80, and #9?

Thanks!
            I have a class starting in a couple of hours, (AMYS), but real quick,

It's hard to say exactly what product will work because two factors that will influence your success, or lack thereof, are paint hardness or softness, and also the depth of the swirls and scratches you're trying to remove.

Skill with the dual action polisher also plays a big part as to whether a person is successful or not.

Zey recommended M82/W-9006 and this may work, if it doesn't then you simply will need to try a more aggressive product.

M80 Speed Glaze with a W-8006 foam polishing pad will fix most peoples swirls problems most of the time if they are not too deep, thus the reason for the popularity of this combination.

Have to go...
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I just finished detailing my bonnet. Firstly, I clayed the bonnet to remove lots of tiny white dots and I found out lots of micro scratches. After that, I used M80/W-8006/DA to remove most of the scratches. To make the surface clearer, I proceed with M82/W-9006/DA. It produced a crispy clear surface and finally I applied M21/W-9006/DA. It's very tedious on solid black paint but the end result is very satisfying.
              zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');