• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Norton slowing me down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton slowing me down

Folks,

I have Norton Systemworks and Internet Security '05 running on one of my primary PCs. I have been doing a bunch of work recently helping to update the Code Snippets.

Anyway, I notice that after several hours of editing and having 10-12 windows open that my computer tends to bog down. The other day it even locked up on me in the middle of editing a document so I lost all the changes made.

I suspect Norton is bogging me down and want to see if I can work around this somehow.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I can offer specs on the computer later but I don't have those with me. All I can remember of the top of my head is that it is a Dell XPS GEN 5, Dual Processor with 4 Gigs of Ram and a 800 Gig HD. Also run 2 LCD Flat Screen Digital Monitors. One 24" and one 19" (I think). Other than that I'll have to dig out the paperwork.

I don't seem to have this issue with my laptop running the same software. It's a Dell XPS Gen 2 with 2 Gigs of Ram. I forget the rest of it.

Any help would be most appreciated. I bought these things so I could do alot of serious multitasking with my security settings set up all the way. You would "think" these monsters could cut the mustrad a little better than this.

Editing here. I should have mentioned that I run XP Pro on both machines.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

there is only one thing i wanna tell: "get rid off the Norton files please" system will improve in performance..theere are a lot of other software alternatives for protecting your computer.

Comment

I find Norton to be bloated software. I ditched it years ago.

In its place, I use AVG Antivirus. In my opinion, it is just as effective as Norton Antivirus, except that the program is nearly transparent. This means that it is rare you will notice any difference that it is running unless it is running a full system scan.

For a firewall, I recommend Zone Alarm. It is a great firewall, I can tell, because the number of intrusions from infected PC's on my school's network ranges in the 1000's on my computer. Great product. It will be a little frustrating at first, because it will ask permission to use products, but after you get that out of the way, its awesome.

I recommend that you press Start > Run. Type in: msconfig
      Click on the Startup tab, and disable all programs there that you think are unnecessary during startup. Programs such as: java, real, aim, msnmessenger, and others. If you see one you are not sure of, (example: samsungs.exe) look it up on google. Sometimes you may have a trojan/virus starting up with your computer.
      Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
      Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Thanks for the tips Guys. I have have been using Norton for years. I tried MCaffee a few years ago but it seemed worse. Had so much stuff running int he background it didn't make sense. I might have to start looking at other products. My nrton Subscription is about to run out.

I will say this though. I have bever had a Virus. Had plenty of Itrusions detected. Norton has been pretty good to me but I think over the years they have added more and more to it and created quite the resource hog.
        Jeff Smith

Comment

with the fellas about norton

just to add my .02

you might also consider these two programs to your arsenal..

ad-aware

spybot

both of these are spy ware remover....if you go on line you will get spyware regardless, just a note spyware slow your computer down plus it sends out info about you......

also just commenting again on norton i had the same program as you one time and it delete files or cause errors....if you really prefer norton only get there antivirus and nothing else from norton....
          Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

well here what i use on my pc's and its been running fine

and on another note to your problem you might want to try this freeware out
            what it does is free up the ram from having anything caught
            in the ram as it does happen time to time

here is the antivirus i use
            Fight malware and protect your privacy with security software for Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS. An antivirus app is a great place to start, but you should also look at VPNs for more private Web browsing, file encryption, secure messaging, password managers, and more.

and here is the program I use as a fire wall(zone alarm firewall)

sprbst

Comment

I had my PC (Personal Computer) installed with Norton SystemWorks, and the performance dropped significantly. Boot-up time increased a few folds. Just like a bogged down PC (PC74247)...
              zey's detailing photography blog

Comment

I've used Norton for about 5 years, but the last two years it's been rough, with system slowdowns. On my other 2 computers I tried PC-Cillin and AVG, and both are faster and just as effective, as best I can tell. AVG has the advantage of being free.

Tom
                As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

I use AVG. Good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by roushstage2
                    I use AVG. Good stuff.
                    Same here too.

Just to add to the list here, I use SpyBot, Adaware, SpyWareBlaster, and MS Anti-Spyware.

This might be old stuff by now, but I like to defrag (Compress) my registry often, and defrag the hard drive weekly too.

I also have programs that delete junk files & such that can hog space and sometimes affect computer performance.

System Suite 5 (Version 6 out now) has a lot of these tools and more to help keep a pc running smoothly. I have SS5 myself, and it has bailed me out many times in the past.
                    r. b.

Comment

i have
                      Zone Alarm v6.6
                      latest version of spysweeper
                      NOD32 - some people find difficult to use
                      Perfict Disc -to defrag
                      SpinRite 6 monthly to keep may hard drive error free
                      Patrick Yu
                      2003 Honda Accord
                      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Really I think its rediculous now that we need to have all these security measures.

My laptop runs FreeBSD, built off the same kernal (*nix) that MacOSX is built on. Its wonderful, pure computing.
                        With this, programs such as:
                        OpenOffice
                        Mozilla Firefox
                        Mozilla Thunderbird
                        TheGimp (photoshop alternative)
                        & thousands more free, open source programs

I can have a fully-featured desktop environment that I didnt even have to spend a dime on!

Next OS that I install on my laptop will be SkyOS. I hav kept my eyes on it for around 2 years now, and its very sexy! Check it out: http://www.skyos.org/
                        Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

AVG

Comment

I guess I am going to have to look into this Stuff. I have always used Norton. Tried MCaffee but did not like it.

In the past, I kinda liked the idea of the simplicity of having one primary set of applications, all by the same vendor to keep up on my security and maintenance issues. I have always Used Norton SystemWorks and Norton Internet Security, the Pro Versions when possible. I guess Symantec needs to get with the times and realize not everybody has high performance computers and start making their stuff a little fleixble to the home user with a low-mid end PC.

My PCs are flat out loaded and have a hard time running this stuff. With Dual processors and 4 Gigs of Ram, one would think I could run forever without having any performance issues.
                            Jeff Smith

Comment

Can you send us a screenshot of your process list?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');