• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New numbering system for products!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New numbering system for products!!

I am a new convert to Meguiar's line of products, but I am not new to automotive world. The first thing I noticed within 30 minutes of browsing the Estore at megs (after getting plenty of suggestions from here of course) was that the Basic call handle of the products were very confusing.

Example: #80 is fine to mild, #81 is a pure hand polish, #83 is a fairly aggressive product?? And I am still lost on all the #20's, #40's. etc etc. Since everyone knows the product numbers by heart already (seasoned detailers) then something like this would be much easier to consider and order when doing certain tasks that may require very different approaches:

"1" lists the category (Car Washing Products) Since that is the first step in the 5 step cycle, follwed by the traditional number (00, 62, GC, NXT, etc etc) <--- notice all the nick names that can confuse a noob like me!!! so for instance Hyper wash could be referred to as 1-00 for hyperwash, 1-62 for Pro Car Wash, 1-GC for Gold CLass wash, 1-NXT so forth and so on. Then a person could just buy the 5 steps he needs and KNOWS they have the complete 5 steps covered.

"2" expresses the next step in the paint care cycle "cleaning and prepping", and would be followed by the traditional call name (#84, #85, #4, #7, #1) in numerical order of course to make deciding which grade you would need. Example I would know I am getting a cleaning and prepping product because: 2-1, 2-7, 2-4, 2-80, 2-81, 83, 2-84, 2-85 etc etc etc. are all in the "cleaning and prepping" category.

you see what I mean?

"5" would respectively categorize the Maintenance step. Example 5-QD, 5-27, 5-21 (I dont even know the numbers for the maintenance step products )

This is just something I thought of today as I glanced over my array of Meguiar's products on the shelf trying to place them in order of application. If this is ridiculous, please try to understand where I am coming from.

If you agree that the product selection is somewhat confusing with the numbering system, Please post that here!!!! Lets help all the new guys and gals that are just learning to drive and will soon be Meg-Heads!!!

here are some examples of the issue: I just cut a few snippets here and there. Mostly noob's like me, (I think)

Can you rank these from most agressive to least agressive: fine cut, med cut, heavy cut, #84, #85? I understand that all of these need to be applied by a rotary and either a red pad or wool pad but can someone explain to me how #84 and #85 differ from the rest? Thanks for the help.
    Hi all, I have a range of Meguiars products that were acquired over time and I am seeking clarification on the differences between some products and different combinations in which they can be used.
    they had some #2 there and I debating about picking it up but decided to wait until I found out more info from you all this morning. I currently have #9 and it seems to be very light on getting any defects out such as the simple water spots, slight swirls, etc. So would #2 be the next step or would it be #82 or #83??
    Another good thing about a better number system would be the order of application confusion :#21 over 7, #9 over #81, # 16 over GC, #2 over #00. That would clean things up a bit dont you think? It would also let the seasoned detailers use their usual tried and tested combos and call it by name (#80, or whatever)

I am done now. I hope this makes sense
    http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

I think once you get past the idea of "illogical numbering" and the desire to identify each and every product at one, you'll realize what the products are, and it's crystal clear!

M21-Synthetic Sealant is a very different product over #7 Show Car Glaze because it acts as a wax and polish, where as #7 is just a pure polish that still needs protection to finish it off.

When you get down to the working products, there are a few that you use all the time. M80 & M83 are paint cleaners(M80 is about half as abrasive as M83 and since it includes properties of #7, you don't need to use both M80 and #7 together.)

I say, don't change the numbering Meguiar's!! You'll confuse all the old timers that already know the crazy numbering system!!

Richard Lin
    ShowCarDetailing
    5548 E. La Palma Ave
    Anaheim, CA 92807
    toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Originally posted by OctaneGuy
      I think once you get past the idea of "illogical numbering" and the desire to identify each and every product at one, you'll realize what the products are, and it's crystal clear!

M21-Synthetic Sealant is a very different product over #7 Show Car Glaze because it acts as a wax and polish, where as #7 is just a pure polish that still needs protection to finish it off.

When you get down to the working products, there are a few that you use all the time. M80 & M83 are paint cleaners(M80 is about half as abrasive as M83 and since it includes properties of #7, you don't need to use both M80 and #7 together.)

I say, don't change the numbering Meguiar's!! You'll confuse all the old timers that already know the crazy numbering system!!

Agreed. And I don't want to be confused; it would only make me want to switch product lines.

Comment

I like the idea of a step number in general, as if having products 1-A through 5-A would be a complete system.

But setting up products to be used in a specific order isnt always going to be correct.

#80 is a cleaner/polish with the PC. #4 is a cleaner for rotary use. Would these belong in the same category (#4 = 1-4 and #80 = 1-80) ? You would still be asking which comes when.

And do Marine washes count the same as Car washes, etc?

And yes the 40's and 60's are weird. Plus some 50's and 30's I think. Have Marine products in there somewhere, Car Care products, plus the Detailer line.

I just dont know if there is a satisfactory way to do it.

At least the only consumer line number to know is A-12....
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
          I like the idea of a step number in general, And yes the 40's and 60's are weird. Plus some 50's and 30's I think. Have Marine products in there somewhere, Car Care products, plus the Detailer line.
          I am glad you see what I meant. I am not suggesting renumbering all the time tested and true popular glazes, etc., merely an additional hierarchical logic to them. Even a $0.50 calculator is more logically stuctured and organized.
          I mean in no way to discredit whoever spent the time to number these products (*cough *cough*) but I think for someone who is just trying to purchase some stuff from meguiars e-store, it would be very simple. Before you checked out, it could say "There are no Polishing Products (Step 3) in your cart, are you sure you want to proceed?". There are many reasons "in favor" of doing this, but the only argument against it is "all the regular meguiar's customers would be confused". I think it would be very valuable trade off IMHO.

The Algorithm does not have to be based on the 5 step paint car cycle, but it was just a thought. One could graph the abrasives on a scale and recommend a product that would be a good finish for it. (ie after using #83, the #80 is the next less abrasive reccomended.) You wouldnt want someone to try and go from #83, #84 down to a #81. And the new system would catch that and recommend a product for you. The new numbering system is sort of an interactive shopping cart solution as well

I am a computer science major, an electrician, and an average guy with kids if you can believe that. And I just like to express my ideas and see what happens.

Maybe all the computer logic and math has made me unable to grasp the current number system. Or maybe there really isnt a system actually being used
          http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Just out of curiosity, since we ARE talking about the Professional Line, and not the Consumer Line which doesn't have this problem, don't you think that it's really up to the professional detailer to know the products before ordering them? I'm not saying it can't make sense, but I am saying that a professional will choose his tools wisely based on experience and know how, and it seems to me, that once you are familiar with how the products work it won't be confusing any more. This is as simple as reading up on the forums and learning the products people use and love.

Originally posted by Hannibal
            I am glad you see what I meant. I am not suggesting renumbering all the time tested and true popular glazes, etc., merely an additional hierarchical logic to them. Even a $0.50 calculator is more logically stuctured and organized.
            Richard Lin
            ShowCarDetailing
            5548 E. La Palma Ave
            Anaheim, CA 92807
            toll free: 866 707 9292

Comment

Hannibal, I definitely appreciate the idea of logical numbering systems. When looking at the vast array of products, it can be confusing. The fastest way to divide the products is to go by "lines": Professional, Gold Class, Detailer, etc. Jumping in and out of the various lines makes it confusing for newbs. Realize that some of these products have existed longer than many of us have! The order in which they were introduced factors into how they were numbered. Enough on history

One thought came to mind in relation to your proposed system. Fitting these numbers to, say, the Professional Product Line, is a bit inconsistent in that many of those products have multiple uses. #80 Speed Glaze is a great example. Many use it as the only product for paint cleaning and polishing before applying LSP. Others use it after another of the well known paint cleaner/polish products, #83 Dual Action Cleaner Polish. Some production shops use #80 as their ONLY step. Where exactly would #80 fit, given these nuances. Further, by the time it WAS classified, wouldn't that, itself, weaken the classification system? You would have a product that blurs the lines of the system. Back to the confusion: many paints react differently to the exact same product and method of application.

If these Meguiar's products had only one use, then your numeric system would be the logical fit . Another issue would be new developments. Where would those additions be placed?
              See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Hannibal, one other comment on this topic: as you familiarize yourself with the products and their uses, the system will become much easier to use. Look around the forum for Meguiar's 5 Step paint plan and then think about the products. They'll line up with that system beautifully. Also, customer service and this forum are excellent at helping a person choose the products they will benefit most from.

None of us has a 100% solution for every paint defect. The professionals here will agree with me that, while we have "go to" products, they don't work best in every situation, just most. We have to vary our approach to get the desired results. This requires more than a static numerical system to choose from.

When I was in business, I had a competing car product line rep visit my shop and tell me "All you need is one good compound, one good polish, and one good wax." Too bad it doesn't work that way
                See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

It’s all a lot less confusing when you let go and just accept that there is no numbering system.

They’re all simply part numbers.

At least in the pro line Meguiar’s puts the little scale on the label. Other companies don’t even bother to do that.

In computer science terminology they’d be labels. Sequential line numbering went out the door with BASIC and the Reagan administration.

PC.

Comment

A few months back someone posted a document that had all of the meguiars numbers and acronyms on one sheet. If someone has it can you please repost. With so many numbers and acronyms, sometimes I forget which product lines we are talking about. Thanks.

Your Sincerly
                    Confused:
                    Wash, Polish, Wax...Just Do IT!

Comment

Well, for a little help, numbers are almost always Professional (Mirror Glaze) Line.

This might be the link you mean:

Acronyms
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I also put up this thread a while back. I'll post the excel file as soon as I find it and upload it to my website.
                        My car's so shiny I can see your car's swirls in its reflection.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');