• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is big and yellow, has more than 144 wheels and SHINES ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jake11375
    That is just plain wild! You are a brave man to tackle such a huge task. Good you had some good help though.
    I sure did!

We will do them yearly!!!
    Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Greetings!

This is my first post! I face a similar task as the one undertaken by SuperiorShine and could use some advice.

I work for a large bus operator and I'm trying to establish some new routines in regards to the appearance of our buses (~50 at this particular depot). The color of the buses happens to be pretty similar to the school bus yellow and they all have large vinyl decals covering parts of the surfaces.

Buses are washed daily in your basic automated truck wash facility: pressurized water mixed with car schampoo and two large nylon brushes working the surfaces. This works pretty well. The paint is hard and the vehicles look pretty clean. What I'm looking to do is complement this with a yearly effort to restore the shine that inevitably gets lost to oxidation and micro scratches from the brushes. Cost is an issue, and the biggest cost of course is the time needed to perform this; a one-step process will have to do.

I have limited experience with detailing, but none when it comes to heavy duty vehicles. My questions are:

1) For a polishing machine, I'm leaning towards the Cyclo. Dual pads should speed things up. Also useful for interior work (floors etc). Good idea?

2) Most of the front and rear of the buses is made of fiberglass. Will this require a different approach?

3) What kind of products to use (not only brand-specific, please)? Fairly aggressive cleaning is needed, but should we even bother about protection? I'm mainly thinking about the 350+ passes of the brushes per year...

I'll try to take some pictures if it'll help...

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Re: What is big and yellow, has more than 144 wheels and SHINES ??

I just got a call, we are doing the buses again this year!!
        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Where did you find your crew?
          Danny Jensen, Detail Lab

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine View Post
            I just got a call, we are doing the buses again this year!!
            Be sure to take some pics again! Will you do anything differently?
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Detaillab View Post
              Where did you find your crew?

I used a local company that is very similar to labor ready.

Comment

All I have to say is WoW! You do amazing work. I have a ton of stuff on my Christmas list from the little woman and have learned a lot from you guys. I only hope with practice to be close to what you have made an art.

I take great pride in how my cars look and mine is actually not too bad (a few very minor swirls on my cars) but would like to improve on it. I have people asking me to do their cars but have put them on hold until I get the appropriate materials.

My wife said that Irvine is not too far away to learn from the masters. Hmmm, road trip in the future???? LOL.

Good job Joe, you truly are an artist.

Aaron
                Philippians 2:14 - Do all things without grumbling or questioning,

Comment

good good good JOB!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments!

Comment

so you wanna get rid of a buffer? lol (jk i know how old this thread is)

Comment

Not sure if it's been covered yet, but I must ask... WHY? Why did someone want a fleet of old school buses restored like that? I'm sure the reason will make perfect sense and make me feel stupid but oh well.

Great work! Can't imagine doing something like that myself haha,
                        --2004 Ford Mustang V6 -- Full mod list and some pictures at my SouthFloridaStangs Vehicle Garage --

Comment

to meet california emmisions standards lol. you cant bring a dirty *** in that state. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
                            Not sure if it's been covered yet, but I must ask... WHY? Why did someone want a fleet of old school buses restored like that? I'm sure the reason will make perfect sense and make me feel stupid but oh well.
                            I've been wondering about that myself too.

As slick as they were after Joe got done with them, I'm sure it had to increase the fuel efficiency somewhat.
                            r. b.

Comment

My god!!!!!!!!!!! great job man. How much it cost them? lol

I love the old school buses 1970s?
                              Get In Sit Down ShutUp

Comment

my guess is 350 per bus times 36 buses = 12600

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');