• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chamois Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chamois Technique

I've created a video for you.

7.8mb, 56k beware.

I find that folding the lip up really helps the towel to catch more water. Yesterday, it wasnt even neccesary for me to follow up with the water magnet to catch any streaks!

Let me know if you can see the video or not. I am unable to view it on that site.
    Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
    Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Neat little video! The video worked just fine for me... I will have to give your folding lip technique a try with my SS Towel. As for drying I prefer the water magent and the SS Drying towel is a close second... almost seems the more you use the SS Towel the better it works. I use both when drying my vehicle, SS Towel works great on my bed cover, glass and plastic trim.
    Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
    Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

indeed a pretty neat little video you created it was very informative

Comment

I use the Super Suede chamois only on the horizontal surfaces. Door panels and such area more easily tackled with a water magnet for sure.

I wish I had someone for a camraman, as I would have demonstrated on my own car. But instead I had to use a webcam clenched in my teeth, dragging it across a dry notebook :-P.

If I come up with any more techniques, expect more videos.

*edit*

I agree that the Super Suede microfiber drying towel gets better as I use it.

I figured that folding the lip up may help prevent scratches as well. Try it for yourself and tell me what you think.

Also, I'd like to clarify what I use the water magnet for, as I was kinda unscripted in my description.
        -I pick up the remaining water that is left by the chamois with a water magnet. Usually the little bitty streaks that are left dissapear within seconds of using the SS drying cloth, but sometimes theres enough left that needs to be blotted out with a WM.
        Last edited by LiquidBlack; Nov 13, 2005, 05:19 PM.
        Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

The video worked just fine for me too

Thanks for the time and effort needed to produce the video, I feel you clearly illustrated your technique and I look forward to trying it myself.

Comment

John

awesome video, it works perfectly...

thank you for sharing this we us...

very helpful and informative....

keep those videos coming..hehe....

just a thought get some female models to help you demonstrate just joking...
            Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

I dont think I'd be able to pull off the female model thing without them making me feel like a complete dork

Comment

i thought that you werent supposed to so that with any drying towel because there bay be dirt that you can not see that will scrach the finnish

personally i like using a leaf blower then goinf over with the absorber
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord
                2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

What do you mean by that? The only difference in the way that I use a chamois is that I fold back the lip. Chamois are supposed to be dragged across the finish.

Yes, when using a chamois, there is always that chance that you "could" scratch the finish if you drag it over leftover dust/bugs/sand/etc. Always make sure you are running a chamois over water and paint, nothing else!

When used properly, though, the performance of a chamois is excellent! All in the technique.

Comment

Originally posted by matt colvin
                    The video worked just fine for me too

Thanks for the time and effort needed to produce the video, I feel you clearly illustrated your technique and I look forward to trying it myself.

That's very similar to the technique I used when using The Absorber. I would take one corner in my fingers and hold it out over the roof (for example) and hold the opposite corner in my other hand (imagine a Bull Fighter holding the cape) and 'wave' it across the hood, keeping the edge curled like you demonstrated.

I agree that a chamois is still a valid method when combined with proper technique. For the moment, I have changed and am using a MF combined with the 'flooding' method to dry the car, but I still use the same technique with the MF as I did with the chamois.

PS: I still use the Absorber for the insides of exterior mirrors...stick a corner of it into the mirror housing and just watch the water being pulled out.
                    Don
                    12/27/2015
                    "Darth Camaro"
                    2013 Camaro ... triple black
                    323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Good job LiquidBlack

Comment

Thanks for the lil video demonestration, great job

Comment

Folding the edgeof the drying towel up is good advice. The other thing I do is lift the edge of the drying towel up slightly, so the water is pulled into the center of the towel.

Eric
                          Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Originally posted by Don

I agree that a chamois is still a valid method when combined with proper technique. For the moment, I have changed and am using a MF combined with the 'flooding' method to dry the car, but I still use the same technique with the MF as I did with the chamois...
                            Umm... what's the 'flooding' method? Is it the same as the hose removal technique mentioned in the Tricks Of The Trade sub-forum? Heheh... pardon the noobie...

Comment

Originally posted by furball
                              Umm... what's the 'flooding' method? Is it the same as the hose removal technique mentioned in the Tricks Of The Trade sub-forum? Heheh... pardon the noobie...
                              That's the one...remove the nozzle and let the steam of water 'flood' the surface which makes most of the water slide right off the finish
                              Don
                              12/27/2015
                              "Darth Camaro"
                              2013 Camaro ... triple black
                              323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');