• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ColorX on black... ;)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ColorX on black... ;)

Some background... GM/ACDelco used to make a special black oil filter for the Corvette ZR-1. Then for some reason they stopped and went back to the normal blue color for replacements. You can still find NOS black ones, though they cost a pretty penny, and also they are really old oil filters.

The oil filter is very visible on these cars when the hood is up, which it often is. And black just looks right, while blue does not.

So I found a local place that sells Bosch oil filters and picked one up. It's black, but had a big sticker on it and yellow production lettering on the top (identifying the lot, made in USA, etc). I got the sticker off with a little goo-gone, and then used mineral spirits to remove the yellow lettering. Unfortunately this dulled the finish a bit, though no black came off on the towel I used.

ColorX to the rescue. I took an old sock and applied some ColorX and buffed it off (and tossed the sock, they are great for this kind of one-time stuff). It looks nice and glossy again. I'm glad to have a black filter in there! I know it may sound trivial, but to me the car is just cool, and the black filter is part of that cool.

1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
    2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
    1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Hi:

Very nice.

FYI, WIX has now changed the color of their filters to black. Another option.

Regards,

KTruck
    Make it Shine

Comment

Yes, I remember those black filters. Just one of the many special items on the ZR-1. Blue just doesn't fit as well in the color scheme, you're right.
      See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

How about a red filter to match your plug wires?

Comment

I know it may sound trivial, but to me the car is just cool, and the black filter is part of that cool.
          Well I guess it DOES make a difference, I had to stare at it to find where it was, if it were other color, I'm sure it would stand out!

Alex
          Mandarina Racing

Comment

Originally posted by KTruck
            FYI, WIX has now changed the color of their filters to black. Another option.

Regards,

KTruck
            A little off topic, but Wix has several plants here in town. Ironically, I just started to use their filters recently myself.....Are they known as a good filter in automotive circles?
            r. b.

Comment

Looks very nice!

Comment

That's a nice spot.
                Mine's at the bottom of the engine near the sump plug so it doesn't matter what color my filter is.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');