• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitted clear coat / hazy finish / how do I repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitted clear coat / hazy finish / how do I repair?

I recently purchased a used 2002 BMW 530 (BLACK SAPHIRE) with about 40k miles. The car has not been cared for very well and I'm working to improve some of the asthetic issues.

The first big exterior problem I'd like to address is the clear coat on horizontal surfaces, namely the roof and trunk lid. (The hood is an exception because it was repainted to repair bug stains) The problem is that when viewed from an angle, there is an obvious haze present in the clear cote. Upon closer inspection, it turns out that the clear coat has very small pitting across large areas. This doesn't seem to be a problem with the vertical surfaces. The pitting is shallow enough that you can barely feel it with your hands but it is very evident when you look closely.

Has anyone been able to rectify this without repainting the surface? I'd be willing to invest time and a few bucks to use some great Mequire's product and resolve this issue and bring it back to life.

If you can't live with it the way it is, it certainly is worth a try to do some heavy polishing, because if you wreck it, you were going to repaint it anyway. Usually anything that you can feel with your fingernail isn't going to come out.

Comment

I'm sure these problems can be improved. Lets be optimistic!

First, it seems you are going to need to clean the finish. Use Deep Crystal Paint Clearner (DC#1), and follow up with clay.

DC#1 can be applied via hand or by machine.

Next, you can try Meguiar's Scratch-X, M80, or M83.

Scratch-X recommends you apply it by hand. Apply the product to a clean applicator, and work it in on a small (6"x6" ) area. When you can barely see the product, wipe the area with a microfiber towel. Repeat process until swirls are gone.
      Scratch-X is alot of work, but the results are real.

Or you can try machine polishing, using M80 or M83. You will always want to first try the least aggressive product first (M80) before stepping up to a more aggressive product (M83).

Read the forums, especially the Extreme Makeover threads. They may help you achieve what you want!
      Proud owner of the finest looking car in the parking lot.
      Switch to Linux. Use energy efficient lightbulbs and appliances. Keep your car well maintained and drive easy to save gas. Eat less fast food. Call your mother and tell her you love her. Try flying a kite. Read a wikipedia article daily. Use Meguiar's.

Comment

Well, working by hand, here is a process you will want to follow first, and see what happens. The pitting could be hard to fix.

1. Wash - Give the car a good wash, using Gold Class Wash. Use good quality matierals, and two-bucket system with Grit Guard if possible.

2. Clay - Clay the whole car with Quick CLay. Clay magic is an ok substitute in a pinch.

3. Clean - Use ScratchX. Work the ScratchX into the surfaces very very well. Be sure to read the How-To articles on the forum for removing scratches, and using ScratchX. In the future, Deep Crystal #1 can be used, as it is a mild cleaner, but remember it will not remove swirls, scratches.

4. Polish - Use Deep Crystal #2. It is good, and easy to use.

5. Wax - Wax with Gold Class or Nxt wax.

Try it out, and see what happens. It will certainly be a good start, and you will be able to use those products in the future, so it is not going to be a waste.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Do you have any photos of the pitting? Are they, by chance, water droplet size and shape?
          See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Thanks for all of the help guys. I'm going to pick up some of these products and give them a try. I've already used one paint cleaner (I believe it was DC#1) and it had no effect at all on the issue. But I haven't tried scratch out and from the name, it suggests that its more agressive in polishing out surfact imperfections so I'll give that a try.

As for pitcures, when I get back in from business travel this week, I'll try to take some photos to share.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');