• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ScratchX and a Random Orbital Buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ScratchX and a Random Orbital Buffer

I'm currently working on some swirls and scratches on my truck. Now I've read here that ROB's aren't really good due to the low speeds they operate. Now my truck has ton's of swirls, top to bottom and applying ScratchX by hand is killing me. I don't have a G100 yet, but I'll get on soon.

Could I use the ROB (3800 Orbits p/m) to apply the ScratchX. Craftsman sells a 7" for $40?
    Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Working by hand is killing you because you're working very hard.

That's exactly why cheap buffers don't work. They don't have the power to work hard enough to do the job. The Buffer you mentioned may run at 3800 OPM with no load but it only has a 1 Amp motor. That's only 120 Watts, a little more than a quarter of the G100's power. Try to work it hard enough to get the job done and it will just bog down and get nowhere.

In theory, you may be able to substitute more applications with the low powered buffer for the aggressiveness of a G100 but I don't think too many people have the patience to spend dozens of hours polishing.

PC.

Comment

Anyone else care to chime in?
      Never argue with an Idiot.. They'll only drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience..

Comment

Originally posted by Magic
        Anyone else care to chime in?

"You never know what you can do until you try..."

Give it a try and report back here what kind of results you get...
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hey I have this machine. Being 7" you are limited to where you can buy the bonnets. Most auto parts stores sell either 10 or 6 inch bonnets. Do not use the applicater pad they are worthless, I've tried!!! I get better results by hand.

Thats my 2 peso's.

Kelly
          MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

"You never know what you can do until you try..."
            I'm going to give it a shot, maybe on the roof of the truck. This way if something goes bad, it's not easy to see!

Hey I have this machine. Being 7" you are limited to where you can buy the bonnets. Most auto parts stores sell either 10 or 6 inch bonnets.
            Thanks! I already found that out. Sears does carry the accesories for it, which I stocked up.

Do not use the applicater pad they are worthless, I've tried!!! I get better results by hand
            I was planning on using the Terry bonnet for the ScratchX application.

Thanks, for all your help!

Comment

Almost forgot. Harbour Freight has 7" terry bonnets. Cheaper than Sears. Have fun!!

Kelly
              MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');