• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I’m longwinded so skip to the picks if you want now.

A little background first. I'm about a month away from turning 17, and I absolutely am addicted to cars. I got my Jeep when I turned 16, and while I was extremely grateful, it was in horrible condition. It had been my father's, who is a construction manager, and this Jeep has seen more dirt than an off-roader. It would be lucky to be washed once a month, very lucky. Its engine, while built strong was bogged down.

After I finally got it, I made some big changes, which took a lot of my time and money, spark plugs, oil, filters, fuel injectors, shocks, tires, etc. Just to give you an idea on how bad it was, the tires where not changed for 70k miles, and would hydroplane trying to take a turn at anything over 10 mph, it was awful. Ok enough about the engine.

I've been working all summer and part of this school year to restore, well refurbish my Jeep. I've been lurking here for months, but only register a few weeks ago.

I spent about 6 hours on Saturday on the outside and engine alone. Please excuse all the door dings and paint chips, I did the best I could with what I have. I learned there are some things even scratch-X cannot tackle.

On Halloween my Jeep had what seemed to be a mixture of Baby powder and I assume ketchup thrown at it, I was in school all day and when I came out I was furious. Not to mention a kind bird left me a present.

Any who, here goes.

I started using NXT Car Wash, I washed the engine first I didn’t accomplish much, but it got clean (no picks sorry it’s an ugly Inline 6 anyways)

Using a two bucket method, and using the hose to keep rinsing off my sponge (non-meguiars ). After I was satisfied with my wash job, and got all the ketchup and baby powder off, I went on to clay the entire car, I went through two bars of Meg's Quick Clay, I dropped one half way through, and was lucky enough to have bought another, but I have extra lube he he...

I washed it again, not as detailed as the first time, but I got it clean and dried it once again. I cleaned my tires with diluted simple green (awaits new wheel cleaners to come to stores). Then used NXT Insane Shine.

I then used Scratch-X to tackle some really-really old bird-dropping that at etched themselves into my finish. I have very few swirls, remember it was hardly washed... I tacked all but one spot which I'll mention later

Then I used steps one and two of the Deep crystal polish system. This was by far the most difficult part, this would be easier if I had a friend who cared about their car as much as I do to help me, but nevertheless I got it done.

Instead of using Carnauba wax, I went to NXT Tech Liquid Wax. I LOVE this stuff. I did one thin but evenly spread coat, waited 20 minutes, took it off and went to bed. I woke up and finished the second coat this morning. I'm really satisfied with my results.

This was all done by hand, I have a pneumatic DA, but didn’t think it could be used for polishing, only sanding, I might experiment on some spare panels next time.

Alright here are some picks!

Here's my favorite picture

Here's my reflection picture, this was only 10 minutes after took off the first layer of NXT Tech Wax, it looks better 24 hours later.

Notice the door ding

I love NXT Insane Shine

Now onto the ugly. When my father had the jeep a nice bird left a present on the hood that wasn't removed... and therefore had a feast on my hood, I tried Scratch X for a good hour, and I wasn't getting anywhere, and trust me, I was putting passion into it.

here's the spot in the lower left hand corner.

And the close up, my camera isnt all too great...

I'm thinking I need to move onto a little more agressive product, maybe introduce myself to my DA, and get some #84, or I dont know if this would even affect it. It looks as if its eaten through the paint, as the paint seem scaly there. I'd appricate any help I could get

Anyways to summarize.

Products:
    NXT Wash
    Quick Clay x2 (hehe )
    Deep Crystal System Step 1 and 2
    NXT Insane Shine
    NXT Glass Cleaner
    Scratch-X
    Simple Green
    2x Foam Applicator Pads
    Generic Sponge
    Microfiber towels

Thanks so much Meguiar's for making quality products, you have a believer in me

siriusrimz

After reading your post, I was prepared to see some beat up work truck. Not so-you made it look good! I bet "before" pictures would've made even more contrast. That's a tough color to show reflection and swirls through photographs, though I did see that bird gift etching very clearly.

You're doing well
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

As far as the scaly bird gift, not much you can do with that spot. Once the clear starts to flake, it's gone.

Overall, though, very nice looking vehicle. Cars that are driven daily don't always stay showroom. Be proud of what you're accomplishing with it!
      See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

Nice pictures... got any of the "whole" truck?

I'd say that yeah, you're going to probably have to get a G100/PC to do too much better with it. Back when I was in high school, it seemed like at least once a week my truck (at the time, a dark green '98 Chevy Blazer) would get covered in silly string, shaving cream, and toilet paper. Mainly because people always made fun of me (bunch of jealous haters in s#!tbox rusty cavaliers) for keeping the truck in as good of shape as I did.

So, on a weekly basis I'd have to pull out the G100 and go to town on it to get rid of some of the calcified/etched deposits. Good luck!

Comment

thanks guys

here's a full car shot. this was taken the day before hallowen pranksters wreaked havoc on it.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');