• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rock Chip Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock Chip Repair

Hi:

Well, looks like I am going to try to repair a rock chip. At least I am considering doing it but have never done this before. In the past I would just fill a chipped spot with paint and stop; this time I would like to level the repair and blend it with the paint so it will not be noticeable.

I plan on following the procedure I found on the Better Car Care web site.

The chip is in black paint and about 1/16" diameter. As you would expect the chip exposes the bare metal. All the paint around the chip is tight.

Any suggestions or tips on how to do this would be appreciated.

Leveling the paint after applying it is the part that I need help with.

Since it a small area should I use a sanding block or sanding paper?

What grit should I use?

How big an area around the chip do I need to work?

Regards,

KTruck
    Last edited by KTruck; Oct 31, 2005, 03:28 PM.
    Make it Shine

I have not tried it personally, but a friend of mine told me about a product called Langka which advertises itself as the "blob eliminator." What it does is soften the touch-up paint and, using an included pad, you sand the product down. It costs $39.95 but has gotten great reviews.

I searched and found some information and a review here: http://autorepair.about.com/od/produ...afpr081105.htm.

It is expensive and I'm sure the same result can be achieved with much less money invested, but it's an option.
    - Brian
    2006 Acura TSX with Navi
    Past: 1997 Honda Accord LX

Comment

rock chip repair:

wash and dry the panel

clean the repair area with vinegar or 50/50 alcohol water solution this removes wax

tape off around the chip

get a sanding stick from a hobby shop and feather the edge of the chip

clean the repair area again

dab a little of your favorite factory touchup paint

let it dry and apply another dab

what you want to do is build up the paint to fill in the chip until it is higher than the finish

once you have it built up and slighty above the Oem finish let it cure for 24 to 48 hrs.

then you can wetsand and buff out the repair

Comment

Let me ask before I give out advice.. Are you looking to fill the little chip with something like "Icing". spray a little epoxy, then bc/cc and blend the surrounding edges?? Or are you just looking to fill it in with touch up paint, and do this until u have built it up???

I think in these types of questions, I maybe should just be a spectator... .. My way of doing said repair is totally different... I use all my body shop supplys and it will be undectable at any angle or under any light.... If you are looking for this and have a compressor and gun.... I can help you, otherwise I would say you have been given good enough advice.

Matthew
        King of Bondo

Comment

rock chip
          Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

Originally posted by BondoKing
            My way of doing said repair is totally different... I use all my body shop supplys and it will be undectable at any angle or under any light.... If you are looking for this and have a compressor and gun.... I can help you, otherwise I would say you have been given good enough advice.

Matthew
            always interested in new techniques if you don't mind sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Five Star
              always interested in new techniques if you don't mind sharing
              Certainly... go to the link and look at a step by step process I have written and documented for my fellow hot rodders

BK's step by step guide to chip repair... Totally Undectable when finished

Matthew
              King of Bondo

Comment

hate to say it but
                mothers makes a really good product to fix rock chips.. from my experience its pretty good theres just the problem that my touch up paint is slightly darker than the colour of my car

edit: the product is called mothers paint chip repair

too bad meguiars doesnt make a product like that its really pretty useful if you have a honda/acura
                Patrick Yu
                2003 Honda Accord
                2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
                  hate to say it but
                  mothers makes a really good product to fix rock chips.. from my experience its pretty good theres just the problem that my touch up paint is slightly darker than the colour of my car

edit: the product is called mothers paint chip repair

too bad meguiars doesnt make a product like that its really pretty useful if you have a honda/acura
                  The Mother's chip repair kit is a great tool once you get the hang of it. However, Mother's discontinued the product. It was made by Langka for Mother's. The same kit can be purchased from Langka. It is a very good alternative to wet sanding.
                  Bama

Comment

ahh that i did not know
                    Patrick Yu
                    2003 Honda Accord
                    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
                      just the problem that my touch up paint is slightly darker than the colour of my car

you can have a body shop mix up a small bottle of touchup paint

I've found that you need to omit about 25% of the black (or the darkest color if the mix doesn't use black) for a good match

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');