• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pressure Washer Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure Washer Advice

Don’t worry, I am not planning to use it on my car. I just thought many of you guys might be obsessed about cleaning things other than your cars and that you could give me advice about buying a pressure washer.

I think my wife will kill me if I try to buy something for over $500.00, but I have her convinced that we need to spend enough money to get a REAL pressure washer and not just something slightly better than my garden hose. My wife took a look at the Home Depot and found the "Excell" brand. I have not seen it myself. Based on my brief education about pressure washers, it looks like it is all about the pump. The motors are very often Honda or Briggs and Stratton, just like lawn mowers. I think I am partial to the Honda motors, but I think it is really all about the pump.

How much do I have to spend to get a REAL pressure washer? I have a huge deck and my house has algae growing on the siding. My house has an exposed basement and a steep roof that makes it 4-stories tall at the peak. I will need some pressure to apply algaecide to the top panels of siding. I know not to use high pressure to just blast off the algae. I saw a house turn completely green after they made that mistake. I also know not to blast water up under the siding so that I am sure I won’t get water and algae up under the siding.

I assembled a partial list of pressure washers below. As I said, I am very sure my wife will resist spending more than $500.00, but I included a couple of machines with better pumps that do cost more. I am just starting the education and shopping process, so I would love some advice. How much do I have to spend to get something that will really do the job? Note that I like good equipment, for example I have a 48" deck professional walk behind mower that I use to cut my 1 acre yard. I like overkill.

Model 165328
    2600 PSI Pressure Washer
    5 HP Honda GC (OHC) engine.
    Pump Make DAPC (DeVilbiss Air Power Company – Brand Excell)
    Maintenance free pump.
    2 Year Engine and 1 Year Pump Warranty.
    Area cleaned in 5 minutes: 40-45 sq. ft.
    Price: $417.00

Model # ZR2800
    2800 PSI Premium Pressure Washer
    6.5 Hp Honda GX (OHV) engine
    Premium CAT crankshaft pump
    2 Year Engine & Pump Warranty
    Area cleanned in 5 minutes: 60 to 65 sq. ft.
    Price: $699.00

Briggs & Stratton Power Products
    Model 1808
    3400 PSI Pressure Washer
    4 GPM
    10 HP Briggs & Stratton OHV engine
    Annovi Reverberi Triplex Plunger Pump
    Adjustable pressure regulation
    Price: $799.99

Last edited by ksing44; Apr 29, 2004, 03:00 AM.
    1995 E320 SE (75K Miles) Azure Blue Exterior/Parchment Interior
    Eibach ProKit Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks, K-MAC Eccentric Bushings
    AMG 16" x 7.5" ET37 Monoblock I Wheels with 205/55/16 MXV4 Tires
    Planning for "Sportline Plus" swaybars, Limo front and E500 rear.

given those choices I would get this one

Model # ZR2800

The pump is better than the $499 one and the gx engine is much better than the gc engine. I have 2 gx engines and they are bullet proof ( for the most part ) And the cat pump speaks for its self.

The above machine is good for what you want and will last a long time, I have a very similar unit and I have been using it every day for over 4 years.

Why wouldnt you use it on your car ? I do it every day and have not had any problems.
    If you dont play you CANT win!

Comment

For what you want I would go with this one

Model 1808
      3400 PSI Pressure Washer
      4 GPM

...trust me, I'm in the business. This is my rig...

PM, if you would like some explaination as to why I chose that one.
      Last edited by gman39120; Apr 30, 2004, 10:40 PM.
      "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by gman39120
        For what you want I would go with this one

Model 1808
        3400 PSI Pressure Washer
        4 GPM

...trust me, I'm in the business. This is my rig...

PM, if you would like some explaination as to why I chose that one.
        How long have you had it? I just got a Honda 3000PSI. I have been told by many people to say with Honda with the Pressure Washer and generator.
        Elite Mobile Detailing

Comment

I like the K'a'rcher in my shop mostly because it has HEAT/STEAM and it's 220 volts diesel fired furnaces. We had it for 15-20 years and still kick'n with the original unit the only thing that i can remember being replaced is the hose and wand an few times. replacement parts are unbelievably expensive.

I work on both Honda and Briggs & Stratton also Kawasaki all of my engines are at least 10yrs or older and have not lost a one (yet) service often. when comes down to horse/torque I'm sorry the Japanese have us over a barrel, but if you want an engine that can be made/rebuilt with American parts and labor I'd stick with Briggs.
          The 10 hp Briggs is relativity loud easy to maintain
          The Honda's are much quieter and the one's I have seem to be a bear to service.

but gman39120 does this of a living and he will have a good insite on mobile use.

good luck
          Rich
          Rich
          If you don't have Meguiar's in your hand
          DON'T TOUCH MY TRUCK

Comment

Originally posted by SqkyKln
            Why wouldnt you use it on your car ? I do it every day and have not had any problems.
            I was wondering the same thing? I have used one on my car in the past and probably will again in the future?

Comment

Originally posted by Elite M.D.
              How long have you had it? I just got a Honda 3000PSI. I have been told by many people to say with Honda with the Pressure Washer and generator.
              There is nothing wrong with a Honda powered washer. I own one and used it for years before purchasing my new machine. Honda makes a good engine, but I hear from manufactures of commercial pressure washing units that Honda may haggle with warranty claims. Briggs parts are available everywhere. So for the novice, I would recomend a briggs unit mainly for parts availability and AR makes good pumps also. Cat pumps are nice too, but there are less expensive pumps out there that are tried and true and are cheaper to service. I have had this unit since Jan of 2004. I did a lot of research before I bought it. It is equipped with a Briggs Vanguard 14HP v-twin and a General TS-2021 Pump. (3500PSI / 5GPM at 200 degrees)
              "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." - Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Craftsman?

Hey ksing44!

Have you considered a Craftsman pressure washer? I own one myself (7hp Intek B&S 2800psi w/4 chemical tanks). The thing is truely awesome! I had it around over 4 years now, no problems (with proper care). Yes, I do use it on my vehicles on the low setting and I can remove paint/mold/oil stains..etc (using different tips/pressure dial)...that's a great feature to look for when buying a pw. I also recommend not buying more then what you need...remember buy for the applications, because some times it will hurt you in the long run. It will damage the wrong items and you paid the extra money for it.

Here's some choices... 2005 models

Craftsman 2900 psi gas pressure washer w/ 7.0hp intek B&S
                on sale for $399.88/normal- $449.99 Mfr. model #20235

or Craftsman 2900 psi gas pressure washer w/7.0 intek B&S and w/ 4 chemical tanks - on sale for $479.99/normal- $559.99 Mfr. model #20236

Both of these models are made by B&S for Craftsman.

Once you buy a pw, you will always have a pw in your life...guaranteed!

Good luck and happing hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by DETLMAN
                  given those choices I would get this one

Model # ZR2800

The pump is better than the $499 one and the gx engine is much better than the gc engine. I have 2 gx engines and they are bullet proof ( for the most part ) And the cat pump speaks for its self.

The above machine is good for what you want and will last a long time, I have a very similar unit and I have been using it every day for over 4 years.

That gets my vote as well. I have a GX series 5.5 honda with a CAT pump that we use ALL the time. I have two and they both are about 2+ years old and I have never had a problem with them!

I paid $740 each.
                  Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

I'm not sure what brand mine is, however its 6.75 HP, and capable of 2860 PSI. I'll check the brand tomorrow. I use it at least once a week, make a wise investment, you'll love em.

The thing works great, I use it to clean the vinyl and wheel wells of my jeep, wont touch the paint with it.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');