• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shine It!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shine It!!

We recently did an early 60s MG Midget.

The vehicle was painted over 15 years ago but sat outside most of that time while the owner was putting together other items for the car to complete a full restoration.

We found a car that didn't look too bad at first but a closer inspection found mild oxidation and staining of the vehicles finish. See the smudge mark I made by rubbing my finger on the hood?

After a through claying with C2001 to remove years of contaminates, we tried some DACP/8006 on a PC. We pulled allot color from the finish (indicates single stage paint) but found we could "deep clean" the finish faster if we went with a rotory buffer. Armed with a wool pad and some #85 Diamond Cut, I buff off most of the heavy oxidation. That was followed with DACP/8006 on a PC then #82 with a fresh W8006 pad/PC.

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

It was topped with good'ol #21. The chrome wears NXT metal polysh. The tires wear #40.

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Looks great as always Joe,

I like the look of the #40. Might have to give that a try next go-around.

I was lucky in High School. My Step father had a midget made about the same time this one was. Once they were married, he got into trucks and handed the midget keys over to me. Talk about a sweet ride to have during the high school years.
      Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Smith
        Looks great as always Joe,

I like the look of the #40. Might have to give that a try next go-around.

I was lucky in High School. My Step father had a midget made about the same time this one was. Once they were married, he got into trucks and handed the midget keys over to me. Talk about a sweet ride to have during the high school years.
        editing with an afterthought here. I remember after driving the Midget I wanted a Triumph Spitfire. I don;t know what happened but I could not talk him into buying me one of those to drive around. I guess I should have taken out the trash more often.
        Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

Is that pad 100% twisted wool, or a blended wool/acrylic pad?

Do you find that the wool is harder to control than foam? Do you buff larger areas when using the wool, or about the same? Do you find that becasue the wool buffs cooler, it takes longer to break the products down?

I just started using the wool pads and love their ability to cut........ would love to hear your thoughts on them. I have been using the knitted wool polishing/compounding pads as well as the twisted wool compounding pads.

Comment

Looks great Joe!
            Rangerpowersports.com
            Ranger72

Comment

Outstanding work Joe.

Red can be tough to deal with sometimes.....Tends to fade quicker than most other colors.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boy does that car bring back memories.

A friend of mine had one of those models in high school. The car was so small that 6 of us were able to pick it up and turn it sideways in his parking slot. He couldn't move it until the car(s) beside of him had driven off.
              r. b.

Comment

Awesome................

Pit-lane.dk

Comment

Thanks for the compliments.

Here are a few answers-

Is that pad 100% twisted wool, or a blended wool/acrylic pad?
                  A- don't know

Do you find that the wool is harder to control than foam?
                  A- No

Do you buff larger areas when using the wool, or about the same?
                  A-same

Do you find that becasue the wool buffs cooler, it takes longer to break the products down?
                  A-I don't think heat has anything to do with a product breaking down.

Comment

awsome restoration!
                    Patrick Yu
                    2003 Honda Accord
                    2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Just like the Mazda, a great Extreme Makeover!!! Well done, it's truly a great job to bring red color back.

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
                        Thanks for the compliments.

Do you find that becasue the wool buffs cooler, it takes longer to break the products down?
                        A-I don't think heat has anything to do with a product breaking down.
                        Hmm, interesting, I always thought that heat played a major role in breaking down *some* products. Isn't this why #84, or #85 should not be used with the DA? I thought that it was because the DA did not produce enough heat/friction to fully break down the diminishing abrasives? Thoughts?

Thanks for your answers.

Comment

I would think heat has to have some affect. How the difference in heat and friction between DA/Rotary/Wool/Foam affects things, I dont know.
                          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I buff most of the time at about 1000 - 1400 RPM. I produce very little if any heat. It works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
                              I buff most of the time at about 1000 - 1400 RPM. I produce very little if any heat. It works for me.

With Meguiars compounds........I assumeā€¦.

Since heat does not matter, do you then find the PC or the Cyclo as effective as the rotary..............

Pit-lane.dk

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');