• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing hose nozzle for drying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing hose nozzle for drying

One trick I have picked up from other MOL users is removing the hose nozzle for a final rinse. On a well waxed vehicle I'd say a good 80-90% of the water sheets right off. It takes a little practice but I am sure that some of the more experienced folks get more water off than that.

Something I found that helps me on the sides is to actually hold the open end of the hose reasonably close to the finish at a good upward angle, say 80 degrees, let it push the water upwards. This seems to slow the water down a bit to let it sheet better. Holding the hose close to the finish also helps to avoid splashing water onto surfaces where the water has already sheeted off.

Editing here. I think I remember a thread with pics of someone demonstrating this. If someone stumbles across it, could you please post a link here? I am looking but can't find.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

I agree!! I use this whenever I do a vehicle at a clients home aka in the sun. So i do the sheet off. Its very handy!

Thanks for posting the tip!

Greg
    Pinnacle Detailing

Comment

Jeff,

I too use this method and as crazy as it sounds (to a person that has never tried it), it works. Sure beats needing to use tons of MF Towels (or more then one Water Magnet).
      Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

Another variation of this tip is to find an older hose and cut off a section of it near the female threads (Maybe 10" or so) and screw it on the end of your garden hose after removing the spray nozzle.

This helps to protect your finish by having something soft on the end of your hose, instead of the usual metal threads. Not to mention that the extra piece of hose can channel the water a little better into a more rounded, unified stream for flooding the paint with.

You can also use one of those cheap screw-on cut off valves to stop the flow of water. I always have one attached between the hose end and the spray nozzle, or cut off section of hose.
        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty Bumper
          Another variation of this tip is to find an older hose and cut off a section of it near the female threads (Maybe 10" or so) and screw it on the end of your garden hose after removing the spray nozzle.

This helps to protect your finish by having something soft on the end of your hose, instead of the usual metal threads. Not to mention that the extra piece of hose can channel the water a little better into a more rounded, unified stream for flooding the paint with.

You can also use one of those cheap screw-on cut off valves to stop the flow of water. I always have one attached between the hose end and the spray nozzle, or cut off section of hose.
          Good one Rusty. Now that will be my newest modification/addition to my routine.
          Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

Great idea there. I used to keep alot of the garden hose quick connects around. I might have to find my zipock baggie full of those and start using them again. Would make for fast easy swap of hose ends. Either make up a cut of hose as you have or possily just use one of the QC male ends
            Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

Comment

I did that and it works great! I was wondering who to credit for that idea. Now I know. I read it somewhere on Autopia or some other forum. Here's what it looks like:

It significantly improves the flow of water and really helps to minimize drying time. Thanks for the idea RB!

RamAirV1
              2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
              2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

To tell you the truth, it wasn't my idea.....but I remembered someone at ShowCarGarage (I think) posting it a while back.

It was such a good idea that it stuck with me all of this time.

Edit: I wonder if all the old data was lost at SCG?.......It was a great forum!
                r. b.

Comment

that is a very good idea! I hit my truck once with the brass end of the hose....

Just so happens I have a little chunk of hose in the garage, I just need one of those fit it your self female ends.
                  Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                  Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Here is the shut off valve that I was referring to....

It comes in a plastic version too.
                    r. b.

Comment

I've been using this method for a few years now, also. I find that using this, and following up with either a CWB (if I KNOW it's really, really clean) or my electric leaf blower (usually both CWB and blower). This forces water out of crevices, the mirror housings, etc. -- it works great!

On the road, you should keep a can of compressed air with you for such tasks also.

Comment

The one probelm I actually found with the shut off valve is that the flow of water isn't nearly as smooth as it should be and it tends to distort the "tube" of water coming from the hose, causing splashing. Cutting an old hose several inches from the female end and using that works much better.

Of course, installing the shut off valve on your hose is a great way of making the change from the sprayer nozzle to the cut off, open ended "drying nozzle" 100 times easier.
                        Don
                        12/27/2015
                        "Darth Camaro"
                        2013 Camaro ... triple black
                        323 hp V6, 6 speed manual

Comment

Originally posted by Don
                          The one probelm I actually found with the shut off valve is that the flow of water isn't nearly as smooth as it should be and it tends to distort the "tube" of water coming from the hose, causing splashing. Cutting an old hose several inches from the female end and using that works much better.
                          That is why I never use a valve... but I could see that the little hose cures the problem.
                          Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
                          Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

I use one of the "Ultimate Hose Nozzle" (firehose style) and I'm sure I'm not the only one. I just wish that they had a setting for unimpaired water flow. Not sure if its possible, but it would be great if I didn't have to take off the nozzle in order to do my final rinse.

Comment

Originally posted by Don
                              The one that I use is designed so that it channels the water better than some models do. Look for one that has a round ball for the valve with a smooth looking hole in it.

I have another model that only has a half ball valve and it distorts the water stream.
                              r. b.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');