• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using G100A as a sander

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using G100A as a sander

Has anyone used their G100 as a DA sander? A friend wants to do some light body work on his truck, but doesn't have enough electricity to run a big compressor for my DA's. We were talking about one of these as an alternative that could be used later as a polisher, as it seems the machine is intended.

Specs on the DA's show no load of 10,000 and I think the G100 is 6,000...probably just end up sanding slower

Curious about anyone's opinions
    See the big picture, enjoy the details

Hi Pete,

The G-100 is the Porter Cable model #7335, you can see this on the Spec Label on the side, check the link: -

As you can see it's listed as a SANDER, as opposed to the Porter Cable 7424 which is listed as a polisher, again check the link: -

I did query this with Meguiar's and here is a "copy & paste" of their reply: -

"Dear Bryan

First I would like to thank you for your interest in Meguiar's products and I hope that your car care experience is an enjoyable one.

The Meguiar's Dual Action Polisher is a much stronger and faster machine than an orbital machine. It is capable of up to 6000 OPMs. The name Dual Action comes from the fact that it will oscillate and rotate at the same time. Due to this "dual action" the machine does not create any heat, nor can it damage a painted surface and is completely user friendly. It is an excellent machine for both the seasoned veteran and a new enthusiast. This machine helps to increase your cleaning capabilities and add more depth and gloss to the paint. I personally own one and I love it. I highly recommend you give it a try. We offer a 30 day money back guarantee as well as a lifetime warranty on the machine. We offer the machine by itself and a polishing pad for 225.95. The machine is made by Porter Cable and is based off their model #7335. This means that the machine is more like the sander with a 6 in backing plate on it.

I hope this information has helped you in your car care process. We here at Meguiar's wish you the best and hope to answer any questions you may have in the future.

We appreciate your support
    Tim Larson
    Meguiar’s
    Customer Care Rep
    1-800-854-8073 ext. 169"

Hope this helps

Bryan

Comment

Bryan, I've looked at both models on PC's site already and those were the same links you provided, so we're on the same page.

From what I see, the specs and the unit are identical, except for the polishing pad setup with the 7424 and the sanding pad setup for 7335. The end of the Meguiar's response to you said something similar, that the G100 is based on the 7335. Thanks for posting the email response: that confirms what I thought I knew about the different model.

Comment

Just one other thing Pete, the 7335 comes with a No5 counterweight and the 7424 comes with a No6 counterweight, I have it on very good authority that changing them does NOT make the slightest differance to the performance i.e. vibration, ability to perform etc.

Just incase you're tempted to shoot out and by another counterweight

Bryan

Comment

Mike P. used his G100 to sand a desk with....

r. b.

Comment

Yes, I've seen things on those counterweights. So, they don't make a difference? Well, that saves a few bucks and some time.

Comment

Thet's correct Pete, the different counterweights do NOT make any difference

And Rusty has answerd your question about sanding...........I must have missed that thread

Bryan

Comment

I've used mine as a sander before -- I used it to sand the varnish off my kitchen cabinets and re-finish them.

It works well, you just have to be careful (as with any sander).

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');