• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masking tape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masking tape

Hi Mike,

What brand and type is the masking tape that you use (blue one) and why do you prefer this.

Best regards

Pit-lane.dk

PS Cannot wait until you publish your book……

It will for sure be my bible to detailing…

I believe it is 3M brand painter's tape (blue).

There is also car tape (forget what color).
    2006 Mercedes C-55 AMG black
    2000 BMW 328ci silver-totalled by son (no injuries)
    1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 deep amythest

Comment

It is 3M Blue Painters Tape. This is the medium tape. The heavy duty tape is stronger, and not needed, and the milder tape comes off sometimes. The blue is just right.

And the 3M tape is high quality, leaves no residue behind. Other companies ones tend to leave **** behind.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hey,

I use 3m Safe Release Blue Masking Tape. It can be found at Home Depot etc... . Try and use the 3M as I have tried other brands over the years and they just do not work as well, IMHO!

Tim
        Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Hi Pitlane

Welcome to MOL

I saw this blue tape when i was in the US, think it was in Wallmart or K-Mart not sure which was surprised how cheap it was and its very blue

Cant get it here in the UK ours tends to be cream in colour and just called masking tape. Hope you have better luck getting it in Denmark.

Takk!!

Rob

Comment

Masking tape and painters tape are different.. The UK isnt too far behind the times usualy, I would think there is some sort of painters tape at least in some paint store.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Here is the whole family!

I think "Multi-Surface" is the one I use
              Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
              Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

Personally, I use the green stuff (third up from the bottom in that picture) which I picked up in a wider width at finishmaster (autobody supply shop).

I find that it will stick even to polished/waxed paint and still come off with little or no residue.

Comment

One time I found a "deal" on some masking tape. It was 99 cents per roll. First roll showed me why, as it wasn't too adhesive. Next roll left sticky residue on the black plastic trim. It was so nasty, I'd almost have preferred to just remove extra compound and polish instead of that stuff.

Never have I strayed from the 3M again!
                  See the big picture, enjoy the details

Comment

I tried the blue 3M tape on the weekend and it worked a treat. Bit expensive here ($AUD12.95 for a small roll) but it does a good job.

Comment

Thanks,

I think that I will make a change from the cream colour "no brand" to green/blue 3M.

Pit-lane.dk

Comment

I like the tan 3M painter's tape.......Seems to work well for me.
                        r. b.

Comment

Originally posted by gb387
                          Here is the whole family!

I think "Multi-Surface" is the one I use
                          You forgot the auto body painter's tape.. It's green but it doesn't sday hard to stick surfaces. It says it's ideal for trim, automotive paint, glass, and plastic. I use the 3m green auto masking tape and the 3m blue safe release. I think they're the same. just different colors. I examined them both and it feels like the same adhesion,texture, and material.

Comment

I asked the same question a few months back. Here's the link. Hope that helps!

Comment

Re: Masking tape

Originally posted by Pit-lane.dk View Post
                              Thanks,

I think that I will make a change from the cream colour "no brand" to green/blue 3M.

Pit-lane.dk
                              I think one of the things about the standard "cream type tape" is that it can be like adhesive and it can strip paint off things that dont bond with paint well and if yopu leave it for too long itll even rip of the duco.

The green and blue is its multi stickable for repositioning of tape and it doesnt grip like you know what. 3M developed this adhesive so stick with it.

Story goes that a chap working for 3M wondered what they could do with this sticky product that kept on sticking and didnt go hard and so came up with tapes for a variety of uses and made them a packet. Im sure its the same adhesive used for sticky message pads.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');