• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pitted wheels from brake dust......and a few other ?'s...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitted wheels from brake dust......and a few other ?'s...

I've been trying to clean up my wheels, but it looks like the brake dust has pitted them. Is there anything special that I can use to remove or clean the small dark spots? I guess it's from neglect, but I usually try to keep the rims clean. Any ideas? My wheels are the stock alloy wheels on a 95 Maxmia SE. They look like this: http://www.wheelcollision.com/wccpix/62319.jpg , except, they're somewhat pitted around the inside corner. If I could get those trouble spots, the wheels would look excellent. I found this from another site, maybe y'all can make something out of it: Machined=glossy; Full face=painted. Machined with silver vents. I don't know if that means clear-coated or not.......hope this helps!

Also, I recently purchased (don't laugh) some detailing microfiber towels from Costco, and want to know if I can use them without scratching the car (or creating swirl marks). It says that it won't scratch, and that they're for polishing/wax removal.....but These have a combination of 80% microfiber, to 20% polyester. They felt better than the 70/30 combo MF towel that I bought from target (that I only use for the interior). I've put-off buying real MF towels because I didn't want to wait on an internet purchase to arrive.....might as well have done it, by now.... Thanks for your help!

What have you tried on the rims so far? I usually Meguiars APC + on mine for stubborn stains but, that might be hard to find. You could try Meguiars Hot Rims wheel cleaner, you should be able to find that at just about any auto parts store. Use it with a soft brush and you should be good to go.

As to the microfiber try rubbing it on an old CD. Use about the same pressure you would use to remove wax from your paint. Do not rub hard as even the best microfiber will scratch paint if you rub hard enough. If it scratches the CD than you might not want to use it on your paint. Today's clearcote is actually harder to scratch than a CD but, this a good test that will leave you a bit of a safety margin.
    Bob
    2001 Laser Red Mustang GT Coupe
    Click Here for pics of my Mustang

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, RJ........I've probably gone about this all wrong. I started with the bug-scrubber side of my small wash pad with my regular car wash solution. I washed them again, and then waxed them with some Mother's wheel cleaner that I had laying around. I buffed it out, and it looks great, except for the pitting in the slots of the wheel. I'll be going to pick up the Hot Wheels tonight after work. Any other ideas that anyone would suggest? The small dark spots probably go unnoticed by everyone else, but it would really help brighten the wheel to get rid of them.

Comment

If you did wax the wheels it might take a bit to get the brake dust out of those pits since they are sealed in with wax now. You might need something a bit stronger to remove the wax so you can get to the brake dust. Hot Rims is a pretty mild cleaner.
        Bob

Comment

Hi:

I've been trying to clean up my wheels, but it looks like the brake dust has pitted them. Is there anything special that I can use to remove or clean the small dark spots? I guess it's from neglect, but I usually try to keep the rims clean. Any ideas?

The first thing you need to do is determine if they are clear coated or not. This really controls what you can use on them. If they are clear coated it is paint and you can easily dull or damage the wheel with a strong cleaner. Regardless of the product I am using on a wheel I never let it try on the wheel. Also, the wheel should be cold and out of the Sun.

I had a similar situation on some clear coated wheels, thought they were pitted. It turned out to be a combination of baked on brake dust as well as some road tar. In my case the baked on brake dust had formed small black spots that at first look appeared to be pits.

I had the best luck with Meguiar’s Gold Class Instant Wheel Cleaner; it was in a red bottle. It took a number of product applications and a little time but it got off all the spots.

After a good cleaning I waxed them with NXT, hope it will make keeping them clean a lot easiler.

Your mileage may vary.

Good Luck.

KTruck
          Make it Shine

Comment

Just keep in mind that Meguiars Gold Class instant wheel cleaner is NOT recommended for uncoated aluminum rims. That is why I recommended Hot Rims, it is safe for all rims and is the milder of the two wheel cleaners.
            Bob

Comment

Hi again:

Bob is 100 % correct.

If you go with the instant cleaner read the bottle.

I feel it is better with the brake dust but can not be used on all wheel types. Know your wheels before attempting to clean them.

Your mileage may vary.

KTruck
              Make it Shine

Comment

I believe that the wheels are clearcoated. The wheel description on a few sites that I've visited said that the face was painted, but how will that affect how I treat the wheel? Could I use the "Gold Class All Metal Restorer", or will that strip the clearcoat? I noticed that it removes oxidation & contains microabrasives..............Has anyone ever tried claying their wheels? It could possibly be tar - I really don't know. When I clayed my car, I thought it was in pretty bad condition, but after I was finished........the paint was in excellent shape. Might be the same way for the wheels? Thanks for everyone's help thus far - my car thanks you as well.

Comment

I would follow the general rule that you want to start with the very least agressive product first and if that does not work, only then move on to something more agressive. Hot Rims is perfectly safe for your wheels. Give it a try with a soft brush. My only concern is that if you applied a wax that may need to be removed before you can get to the brake dust.
                  Bob

Comment

I know that many here don't approve the use of Dawn on paint finishes, but what about wheel application to strip the wax? Is there anything else that y'all would suggest?

Comment

Hi:

If they are clear coated you have to treat them like paint on the body of your car.

Could I use the "Gold Class All Metal Restorer", or will that strip the clearcoat?

I do not believe that this product is intented for use on a wheel with a clear coat. IMO it is a base metal polish. You would only use use it on non clear coated wheels and/or chrome.

The metal restorer has cleaners and abrasives that would be harmful to your wheels if they are clear coated.

Once you determine the type of wheel you have you will know what product to use.

If clear coated one of the wheel cleaner mentioned before is your best option.

Your mileage may vary.

KTruck
                      Make it Shine

Comment

Originally posted by Namirrem
                        I know that many here don't approve the use of Dawn on paint finishes, but what about wheel application to strip the wax? Is there anything else that y'all would suggest?
                        Should work fine. If you can find it though in the future you might want to get Meguiars APC+. It is great for removing wax. It can also be used for lots of other things from engine cleaning to cleaning carpets. You dillute it to varying strengths for different jobs. You might want to call around to body shop supply places. It is part of the Meguiars Detailer line.
                        Bob

Comment

Okay, I've been searching on the Meguiar's site, and can't find APC+ listed anywhere....... I have an excellent body shop supply store nearby, and will stop there after work, but need to know what I'm looking for. Also, no replies on using the clay on wheels.......would it work at all? Anyone tried it? TIA!!!

Comment

Hi:

Okay, I've been searching on the Meguiar's site, and can't find APC+ listed anywhere....... I have an excellent body shop supply store nearby, and will stop there after work, but need to know what I'm looking for. Also, no replies on using the clay on wheels.......would it work at all? Anyone tried it? TIA!!!

The cleaner he is talking about is under Professional Store>Automotive Detailing>Cleaners& Degreaser.

Link to page:

Never used clay on a wheel so will not be much help. Guess it depends what is actually on the wheel and the type of wheel it is.

If they are not clear coated I would think that clay would not be much of a help. My opinion.

Determine the type of wheel and use one of the cleaners would seem to be the best plan.

Your mileage will vary.

KTruck
                            Make it Shine

Comment

rust spots

I recently found small rust spots on my Expedition that came from brake dust. There is a picture in this thread http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=804 . They looked a lot like you describe except there was no damage to the paint under them. I tried a number of different cleaners, polishes, etc to get them off and ended up using clay & Final Inspection that was recommended here. It was the easiest and produced great results.
                              They were adheared to the paint and some could be popped of with your fingernail, but a rust stain was still there. If yours are similar may the clay would help.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');