• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wax on exterior plastic trim....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax on exterior plastic trim....

I waxed my car recently, this is the first time i've ever waxed a car. It went okay and I though I was pretty careful but I wound up getting wax on my plastic handles and the plastic trim around my mirrors. Is there any way to get this out? I tried to use Road Oil and Tar remover and it worked somewhat but not really. Also, are there any tips to prevent this in the future other than being careful? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Welcome to Meguiar's

Read this thread and see if it fits your situation.

Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
    2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

I don't have a lot of plastic trim, and I've never had too much problem with wax on them (though I have had them fade and such and look generally not-so-great).

However, as to how to prevent it, one way is to use masking tape to tape off the trim, or at least the edges of the trim, before you wax. Things like door handles are pretty quick and easy to do this to.

Another way is to apply a product to treat the plastic before you wax. This will make wax and such much less likely to stick or stain the trim. Products like Gold Class Trim Detailer work well for this, as do most other plastic and vinyl dressings.
      1990 Corvette ZR-1 Bright Red with Red interior Hear it!
      2002 Aurora 4.0 Cherry Metallic with Neutral interior Hear it!
      1997.5 Regal GS Jasper Green Pearl with Medium Gray interior

Comment

Thanks for the help so far!

I plan on buying some of that Gold Class trim detailer and applying it soon. If I applied it while the wax was still on there you don't think that would make it worse would you? My frien said that the wax would come out of the trim after time(I just don't want to wait that long) but I don't want to seal it in by using the detailer. Thanks a lot!!

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');