• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FUNNY stuff....but the end result was great !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FUNNY stuff....but the end result was great !!

Just got back from Auto Zone where I needed to pick up some Hot Rims and some applicators....left my 14 year old in the car as I ran in...should have taken 1 minute or less....when I got back to the car my son asked "15 minutes to get 2 things !?!?!"....I proceeded to tell him that I had to straighten the guy behind the counter out....

This employee is a young man (19 years old maybe) who asked me a simple question as I was placing my purchases on the counter....he asked me "so how is this Mequiars stuff ? ?".....I looked at him as if he was kidding....but he was dead serious....I said "it's the only stuff I use because it's the best, period"..."really??" he said...."Yep, they have great products for every part of your car, paint, leather....."....at which point he interrupted me and said "Well I use Armor All on my leather and it looks great when I put it on but it doesn't last long".............

At this point, natural instincts took over and I said, "come with me for a minute"....so I took him to the aisle where all the "real" products were and pointed to the Mequiars Rich Leather Foam Cleaner and Conditioner....I picked up a can and gave it to him and said "this stuff is great"...then I proceeded to buy it and gave it to him saying "take this and use it on your leather and when I come back, tell me what you think".....he couldn't believe what just happened and asked me if I worked for Mequiars !! (If I had a Megs T-Shirt or Hat on he would have really thought that *hint * hint (would love some wearables!!!)

Obviously I don't make a habit of buying perfect strangers products for their cars....but this kid was sincerely interested in doing the right thing for his car...and didn't know what to use....so I made sure he had the website address for this forum and for the Meqs home page...I told him to go to the RX section and get the "prescription" for his car...he thought that was so cool...

And now my son understands (although he still thinks I'm a little nuts about detailing) why it took 15 minutes to buy two things !......All because some kid asked "So how is this Mequiars stuff ? "
    Bill Poirier
    West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Now here's a fine demonstration of how to be CAR CRAZY! Good one!
    -Dennis/FromThisSoil

If anyone is in need of a company logo or flier design, don't hesitate to ask for help.
    I can accommodate any budget.
    To see a few samples of my work just PM me.

Comment

I'm impressed at you self controll.... I think I might have reached across the counter and slapped him after he told me that he put ARMORALL on his leather seats.

But I guess if he tuly had no idea what he was doing, you can't help but feel sorry for him, and his car. I guess I would have helped him out too, but that would be after I enjoyed a chuckle with myself in my head.

I got into an argument with an older guy one time about how armorall is NOT the best thing to be putting on the dashboard of his restored musclecar. But he just wouldn't give up, so I told him to just use what he feels like, no matter if its a good product or not.

--Stephen
      WARNING! Eye protection must be worn when looking at my car in direct sunlight. Can cause temporary blindness.

Comment

Good story!
        This is what I get from my kids when I tell them that I won't take long in the store...

Alex
        Mandarina Racing

Comment

That's how you win people over , I would bet he becomes a Meguiars devotee . Good job turn them one by one .
          Success is based on the quality of the job done !

Comment

Re: FUNNY stuff....but the end result was great !!

Couldn't have handled that any better myself in that instance, and all I could add to what you did at this point in time, is to tell you what my reply is as to why it is I use Meguiars paint care products on my cars-'You see how nice my cars look, and let's face it, you don't stay in business for over 100 years selling junk'- end quote.
            BTW, I'm usually at a 'Car Show' when I launch into the above

Originally posted by TKDDAD
            Just got back from Auto Zone where I needed to pick up some Hot Rims and some applicators....left my 14 year old in the car as I ran in...should have taken 1 minute or less....when I got back to the car my son asked "15 minutes to get 2 things !?!?!"....I proceeded to tell him that I had to straighten the guy behind the counter out....

This employee is a young man (19 years old maybe) who asked me a simple question as I was placing my purchases on the counter....he asked me "so how is this Mequiars stuff ? ?".....I looked at him as if he was kidding....but he was dead serious....I said "it's the only stuff I use because it's the best, period"..."really??" he said...."Yep, they have great products for every part of your car, paint, leather....."....at which point he interrupted me and said "Well I use Armor All on my leather and it looks great when I put it on but it doesn't last long".............

At this point, natural instincts took over and I said, "come with me for a minute"....so I took him to the aisle where all the "real" products were and pointed to the Mequiars Rich Leather Foam Cleaner and Conditioner....I picked up a can and gave it to him and said "this stuff is great"...then I proceeded to buy it and gave it to him saying "take this and use it on your leather and when I come back, tell me what you think".....he couldn't believe what just happened and asked me if I worked for Mequiars !! (If I had a Megs T-Shirt or Hat on he would have really thought that *hint * hint (would love some wearables!!!)

Obviously I don't make a habit of buying perfect strangers products for their cars....but this kid was sincerely interested in doing the right thing for his car...and didn't know what to use....so I made sure he had the website address for this forum and for the Meqs home page...I told him to go to the RX section and get the "prescription" for his car...he thought that was so cool...

And now my son understands (although he still thinks I'm a little nuts about detailing) why it took 15 minutes to buy two things !......All because some kid asked "So how is this Mequiars stuff ? "
            Attached Files
            Ben Deutschman
            http://www.slantsixclub.com
            http://www.poci.org
            http://www.1976transam.net
            http://www.1960plymouthsavoy.com

Comment

Originally posted by Xtreme99_s-Dime
              I'm impressed at you self controll.... I think I might have reached across the counter and slapped him after he told me that he put ARMORALL on his leather seats.

--Stephen

LOL, I almost smacked a friend when I caught him with a tub of those armorall wipes! I think I made him throw them out, and applied some #40 to his interior!
              Rangerpowersports.com
              Ranger72

Comment

TKDDAD,

Why do you spell Meguiar's as Mequiars?

Knowing and writing someone's name properly is the base of true respect.

I am respecting you for what you did though!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bence
                  TKDDAD,

Why do you spell Meguiar's as Mequiars?

Knowing and writing someone's name properly is the base of true respect.

I am respecting you for what you did though!!!
                  Thanks for pointing that out Bence...you're absolutely correct my apologies to the forum
                  Bill Poirier
                  West Seneca, NY 14224

"until you can afford a great car, always strive for a great looking car"

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');