• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rusty Magnaflow exhaust tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty Magnaflow exhaust tips

My friend has a VW Jetta with a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust. He hasn't washed the thing in months and the tips are FILTHY. They're caked with carbon and have rust spots even though they are 304 stainless.

I have Meguiar's M28 Metal Polish, which works well, but what should I do if the metal polish is not aggressive enough to remove the rust spots?

Can I use some sort of Scotchbrite-type pad?

i guess it just depends on how bad the rust is. i had chrome tips that rusted and i tried everything to get it off. i even tried the old aluminum foil and coke trick. i know it's not a meguiars product but you can try eagle one never dull. it comes in a silver can. it's cotton wadding with the metal polish in it. i've taken off light surface rust with it.
    NA

Comment

I'd rather try different polishes than use a ScotchBrite, the latter might instill marring that'd be a huge pain to polish out.

Remember, it's just stainless. Steel will rust if it's neglected or abused
      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

One thing I've done with success on both chrome plated stuff like exhaust tips, and polished/billet aluminum parts like wheels is to apply the metal polish with a dremel tool; I bought some foam polishing cones from harbor freight for around $6 for a set. That makes the polish become MUCH more agressive, and able to get into areas I couldn't do by hand with an MF.

Just a thought

Comment

I think Mike mentioned the Nxt Polish is stonger than the Pro Metal Polish. I'd try some sort of degreaser first to clean them some, then go at it with Nxt.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Yeah, if you get a polishing kit for a dremel tool, you can get polishing compounds made for metals and chrome. If used right, they can remove surface rust and pitting from almost anything. This is how I restored the steel trim for my friend's muscle car. just be careful not to get too agressive with the compounds or you can leave holograms in the metal.

Stevo
            WARNING! Eye protection must be worn when looking at my car in direct sunlight. Can cause temporary blindness.

Comment

i was suggested to try scotchbrite pad on a stanless steel tip it cleaned it then i need to apply polish mothers (next time i will use Nxt Polish)....i use the scotchpad like if you were claying...use some sort of lube example Nxt Window Cleaner then use the pad then wipe and polish with some passion unless you have a drill with some attachents to polish it..this is just a thought and im not recommending..hope you get the results you want
              Miguel

"What you become directly influences what you get"

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');