• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shelf life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shelf life?

I wonder what the shelf life is for some products such as waxes and sealants.

I recently came across a bottle of Quick Detailer in my garage that has got to be 5+ years old. It worked fine but I must say that it has never sat out in the sun or been subjected to elements that might cause premature aging.

From Meguiar's FAQ

You can typically expect Meguiar's surface care formulations to retain their full effectiveness for three to five years, as long as the container has been sealed tightly, and has not been frozen.

Always shake Meguiar's liquid products well before using, especially if they have been sitting for an extended period of time.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Note that a manufacturer (or their reps such as Mike ) have to err on the side of caution lest somebody say "you said this would stay good but it didn't ". I have no affiliation with Meguiar's and I'm simply speaking from my own experience.

If you avoid temperature extremes and keep things out of direct sunlight, they'll stay good for a very, *very* long time. It can help to remove any excess air space from liquids (I just squeeze the bottle before tightening down the cap). But note that all plastic bottles are not created equal and some products will go bad because of porosity/leaching/etc. compromising the container.

I'm still using polishes that are many years old and they're fine. But I test them first because if they start to evaporate they'll generally become much more aggressive.

I frequently use paste waxes (esp. #16) that were first opened over ten years ago. No problems at all. Same with liquid waxes.

I have pre-VOC-regs paste waxes stashed away and I expect them to be good long after I'm dead and gone. And I plan to live a long time.

#34 Final Inspection, however, seems to be sorta short-lived compared to some other products. If it turns clear/orange (instead of its usual opaque/pink), throw it out.
      Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by Accumulator
        I have pre-VOC-regs paste waxes stashed away and I expect them to be good long after I'm dead and gone. And I plan to live a long time.

I don't know how long I'll live, but I have some M16 stashed away that my kid's kids will be able to sell on eBay.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');