• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Remove Love Bugs...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Remove Love Bugs...............

without scratching the paint. After evacuating for Katrina and driving thru Lafayette, LA the truck's front end was covered with bugs. I went to a car wash and pressure washed them off. Upon driving home it was covered again. With all the cleanup it's been 3 weeks and I washed the truck today and there is still evidence of the bugs. Will a clay bar work?

Thanks in advance,

RonW.

Claying should work, or you can try Meguiars Gold Class Bug & Tar Remover.

1998 White Olds Aurora
    V8 260HP

Comment

I spray soapy water where the bugs are. Let it sit for a minute then pressure wash them off. Helps a lot.
      Elite Mobile Detailing

Comment

whatever bug remover you choose let it sit on the surface
        for about 30 seconds or a little longer to soften the
        ones that sat on there for a while.

( don't let it dry on the surface though ) you probably already
        knew that )
        "always somethin"

Comment

You can get a terry cotton cloth 100% such as the Meguiar's Ultra Plush Terry and soak it in the wash water and slap it over the bugs. Then let it sit and ever 5 or so minutes for a half hour just poor some more of the water on the towel never letting it dry on any of the car.

Finally after a good, long soak, wipe them off and rinse that are then change your water and wash the car.

Comment

Two more solutions:
            1. Spray/wipe bugs with hydrogen peroxide and let sit for a minute. They will get foamy, then they rinse/wipe right off.
            2. Moisten a "Bounce" fabric softener sheet with water and wipe over bugs. They emulsify in a few seconds and wipe right off.

E-Jag

Comment

What if the bugs were left on too long and the paint is etched. What is the best way to fix the defects?

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jbirk
                You can get a terry cotton cloth 100% such as the Meguiar's Ultra Plush Terry and soak it in the wash water and slap it over the bugs. Then let it sit and ever 5 or so minutes for a half hour just poor some more of the water on the towel never letting it dry on any of the car.

Finally after a good, long soak, wipe them off and rinse that are then change your water and wash the car.
                This technique works perfectly. I used it all the time to clean bugs off the front end of my sportbike and helmet.
                '05 QC Big Horn Edition/Sunroof
                5.7L Hemi
                Debadged
                Magnaflow
                Tint
                Line-X
                Chrome Mopar 'Sport' Grille
                Chrome OEM Hood Deflector
                ...and a G21C in the console

Comment

Originally posted by mag88
                  What if the bugs were left on too long and the paint is etched. What is the best way to fix the defects?

thanks
                  You are in trouble. Repaint.

Once they etch the paint, you really have to dig deep into the finish to remove the problem. In my experience, they etch all the way into the base coat and through the clear coat.

With lovebugs, you have to be proactive. Remove ASAP or you will have major problems.
                  Bama

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');