• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water in headlight? No visible holes or cracks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water in headlight? No visible holes or cracks?

How about some ideas on the cause of this problem?

This is the first new car I've owned and as such all my previous cars have had the traditional old-fashioned headlamps. I noticed after washing the Pilot the other day I noticed water in my headlight cover?

I inspected very closely for cracks, chips or holes and found nothing? does this mean a gasket is leaking? What's the fix? Take it to the dealership or is this something I can fix by visiting Autozone?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

I had the same issues on my '96 Grand Prix GTP, only in the tail light. It did turn out to be a gasket.

That almost looks more like condensation rather than water that infiltrated from a car wash session. A gasket issue could still be the cause though. I get a little bit of condensation in my fog light lens covers on the GTO. I was a small amount and I forgot to tell the dealer service dept. that when I had my tires replaced.

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I'm no expert here, but could it be condensation forming inside because of a difference in temps?

Maybe when you washed the car it cooled the outside just enough to cause condensation to form on the inside?.....Is it on both headlights?

Oooppps.......Ramair beat me to it.
      r. b.

Comment

recently that was happening to mine ( due to a crack )

I ignored it then it started to fill with water after a good rain storm.

now the low beam burnt out, most likely it would be the gasket
        separated slightly from the light.
        "always somethin"

Comment

It cannot be condensation inside unless the seal is broken somewhere.

Put simply, you do not get any condensation unless water is sealed in. Assuming it was factory sealed and done right, that should never happen.

Sence there is no chips, cracks..., I am thinking you need to check the reverse side. You probably need a gasket.

If I were you I would take it to the dealer and get it fixed under warrantee. Just make sure you leave water in for them to see. However, let them know you will mkae sure they get all the water out! Honestly, they need to dry it and also use some compressed air, a heat gun, or a hair dryer... something to ensure there is no water or water vapor in there or you will get a little condensation when it is cold.

I am sure you will get this fixed.

Comment

Most headlight casings have a drainage hole to remove condensation and allow air circulation. When my sister's Volvo needed a headlight lens replaced, she bought one on the internet b/c they are so expensive (nearly $300!) and she could save some by buying it this way. Unfortunately, the casing didn't have a drainage hole, and when I wash it, the same thing happens and it looks like your picture. It kind of looks cruddy, but I asked the guy at the dealership and he said it is really not that big of a deal. It won't make the bulb explode or anything, and the water will go away eventually, just more slowly than if you had a drainage hole.
            If your not driving fast, your driving half-a**ed!

F150 4X4

Comment

The headlights lens assemblies are ventilated to compensate for atmospheric pressure changes. Some condensation will form on the inside of the lenses which should evaporate with headlight use in about 30-120 seconds depending on conditions. Think of it like your front windshield when it gets fogged on the inside...Basically it's the same concept.

If the headlamp lenses weren't ventilated...The pressure changes could crack the lens and/or blow the bulb!

not from a pilot but appears its a common thing with hondas

Comment

Re: Water in headlight? No visible holes or cracks?

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

How about some ideas on the cause of this problem?

Howdy Mike,

Looks like a seal (around the bulbs) or a gasket (if it's a two piece light casing), that has failed, or is not tightly inplace. Since it's a new car I'd let them take a poke at fixing/replacing it first (as it very well could be a cracked case or a bad seam). And do not allow them to tell you that it's "NORMAL" cause it ain't!

Otherwise the "fix" would be to check out the rubber seals around the bulbs, as well as checking out the seams around the housing to make sure there are no gaps or cracked glue along the seams. If you find cracks in the seams, a little plastic safe, silicon caulking should do the job, after you get the inside dried of course. You can remove the bulbs and use a hair dryer or vacuum cleaner exhaust to get it dry inside.

If it were me, I would get them to replace it.

Comment

The headlights on my new V50 had some condensation in them when I got it last Feb(new), but I haven't seen any condensation in them since. They must have washed the engine carelessly or something. I have washed the engine several times after that and no condensation.

Comment

Take it back to the dealer and warranty should cover it. Has happend like 2x on my fog lights and 2x on tail lights.

Comment

Abel2325 is correct, they will swap in a new headlight case. Frustrating isnt it! Mike when I still had a warranty I hated bringing my truck to the stealership, I just simply don't trust them with my car. What I would do for something like that is bring the service manager outside to look at it, just to make sure they will warranty it (they will), then tell him that you will replace it then and there yourself or as soon as they get the case in stock. Do itin the parking lot, give them your old case and be on your way. Just need a screw driver and small socket set probubly. (hell on my ranger there is just two tabs to pull up. They won't scratch that beautiful black paint becasue they didnt touch. One thing, I'm not sure if Pilots come with H.I.D headlights, but if they do, then better not messwith it yourself, those boxes on back of the casing are very tempermental and break easy. Don't ask me how I know that

Rangerpowersports.com
                      Ranger72

Comment

Originally posted by Mark2
                        The headlights on my new V50 had some condensation in them when I got it last Feb(new), but I haven't seen any condensation in them since. They must have washed the engine carelessly or something. I have washed the engine several times after that and no condensation.
                        Last year I bought a leftover that had been on the dealer lot for 16 months and was horrified to see some condensation in one of my "brand new" lights one of the first nights I drove it, which wasn't there when I took delivery of the car. It went away, and I figure it was a little water that got in there thru thermal cycling, etc., while the car was sitting, got evaporated by the heat of the lights, and then condensed...ultimately got evaporated by continued heat of the lights (since the car probably never had the headlights on for the 16 months).

Back on topic, it wasn't anything like what Mike's picture shows, and he lives in the desert! I'd definitely talk to the dealer about it.

Comment

Mike, are they xenon headlamps?

If so then they are not sealed units and misting/condensation can occur.

Certainly it's been a problem on a lot of european models incl the TT, have look here for some info from the UK press:

Comment

Mike, it is a bad seal. That's not normal. I hate taking anything to a dealer, but if your Honda is still under warranty, I would let them fix it. The water got in there probably when you washed it.
                            Bama

Comment

I had the same problem. Bad seag around headlite bezel. I took the entire assembly to the dealer & exchanged it for a new gasket & bezel. They also gave me new bulbs & gaskets as part of the entire head lite replacement. I signed the RO & they got the factory time & my old parts w/o any drama. Mike back to Honda is the way to go. Good luck!
                              Death Before Dishonor

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');