• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello from a detailing newbie in MD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from a detailing newbie in MD

Hello all.
    This site and it's members are great for newbie info. Thanks. I've been lurking here for about a month (and still I'm confused )and already my wife thinks I'm nuts. BUT, she was very impressed when I clayed her car and gave it a quick wax in the garage under incandecent lights. Then I showed her how diff it looks under the flourecent lights. I feel like I wasted my time now. Man, those lights show everything. Her entire car has what I think are etched water spots. Can't feel'em but they sure show up under that lighting. She said just don't look at it under those kinda lights LoL! To late now, 'cause I know the spots are there and can't stand it. LoL! Looks like I get to use the ScratchX I got for a door prize. And my DA and pad kit are on the way, hopefully the next day or two. Should I give #80 a try w/DA before attempting ScratchX by hand?
    Should I be keeping my MF cloths seperated by step also? Like, remove wax/sealent with one cloth, then use another clean MF for a final wipe? Can I wash these two cloths together with other MF that I dried the car with? then use them next time to dry the car?
    Thanks for all the free info. It's nice to find a forum that gives info freely without having to pull teeth and all the smartass comments that can go along with it.
    Shine On!
    Kevin B.
    See Kevin's '03 PT Cruiser GT here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/477590

I got to do my first

Okay enough kidding around! But welcome!

Since you have the scratchx I would give it a go and see what happens.

As for towels I use one to remove compound as I polish the car turning it as needed to keep a clean part of the towel on the car and replace it with a clean towel when it gets dirty from the compound.

Then I use a different clean towel to wipe the car down after all polishing is done before wax is applied.

I then use yet another towel to remove the wax and another to do the final wipe down.

I keep all my towels seperated. I have compound towels, wipe down towels(after wax and polishing),interior towels, Dirty interior towels(the ones that turn black!),door jamb towels, and towels I have used on the tires.

I wash the towels according to use and type of towel. Terry cloth ones all get washed together since I mostly use those for the dirty jobs like door jambs, tires, and cleaning the interior. I then seperate the micro fiber towels into compound, wipe down, and interior trim towels. This way they are always used for the same purpose and there is no chance for contamination if something doesn't come out in the washer.

DO NOT use fabric softener on these towels! I'm not sure why others will say it but it keeps the towel from absorbing liquids. It took me a year to convince my wife not to use it in our bath towels but she still does it! She did admit that there is a difference though.

Another thing, don't put the really dirty ones in your washer. We just bought the front loading set and I was told that if I put anything in there I was getting a spankin'
    But I usually take them to the self serve laundry down the street any way!

Again welcome!

Comment

I only use my good MF towels for removing cleaner, polish, wax, and using a QD on the outside. I have cheap MF cloths that I use for windows. I use terrys for pretty much everything else. I was them according to that set-up (Good MF, Cheap MF, and everything else).

If you are getting the DA and #80 in a couple of days, you could wait until you get that to save some arm. You will probably need the machine anyways to try and get rid of the etchings.

Comment

Thanks Guys
        Can't wait to get started!
        I know what you mean about the wife & fabric softener. Mine won't budge either. I prefer absorbancy over smell any day. Good idea on the MF towels, sort/wash them seperately.
        See Kevin's '03 PT Cruiser GT here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/477590

Comment

Re: Hello from a detailing newbie in MD

Originally posted by KBzPTGT
          Looks like I get to use the ScratchX I got for a door prize. And my DA and pad kit are on the way, hopefully the next day or two. Should I give #80 a try w/DA before attempting ScratchX by hand?
          I would. The machine takes most of the work out of the process and easily produces better results...

Read this and go to town...

Using the G-100 to remove swirls with the Professional Line

Thanks for all the free info. It's nice to find a forum that gives info freely without having to pull teeth and all the smart-*** comments that can go along with it.

Shine On!
          Kevin B.
          Thank you for the kind words and the keen observation!

:
          Mike Phillips
          760-515-0444
          showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Another thing, don't put the really dirty ones in your washer. We just bought the front loading set and I was told that if I put anything in there I was getting a spankin'
            But I usually take them to the self serve laundry down the street any way!

^^Exactly How I am!! You will end up with a nice wax ring in your washer if you use your own and things will smell like wax, but being a detail lover I guess that isn't a bad thing...LOL
            Trent W.

------------------------------

2002 Ford F-150 SuperCrew FX4
            2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');