• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Severe orange peel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Severe orange peel

I painted my Dakota and it has a severe case of orange peel. I did wet sand with 1000 grit paper and lots of water. Yesterday I purchased some Meguiars #80, #83 and #85 along with an inexpensive ($30) 10" dual action buffer. Below is a pic of the orange peel on the hood (the reflection is from the overhead light). I just can't get all the orange peel out. Will I need to repaint or can it be saved ? I did apply 3 light coats when I painted the truck. I used HS urethane enamel from Sherwin Williams Automotive Paint store. I didn't want to use base coat/clear coat because it is the first paint job by me. I'll post a pic of the same area that has had most of the orange peel removed as soon as I get back from the "bone yard" (I need a bed for the old Dakota).

Orange Peel:

wow, sorry i cant offer a word of help, but that has to be some of the wrst orange peel i have ever seen...hope u get it all smoothed out though ...
    "that car is dirty"

Comment

If you sprayed enough paint, then the orange peel is removable, you might want start with 1000 then go to 1500. (My wetsanding experience is not as much as some of the others on here so let them chime on the paper grit choice) Also, the orbital buffer will not cut out the sanding marks, you WILL need a rotary buffer.
      Rangerpowersports.com
      Ranger72

Comment

You need more than 1000 to get that out. Try something between 600 and 1000, then move progessively up to 2000.

Also, don't hold your gun so far away next time.

Comment

I was figuring 100 wasnt aggresive enough, but didnt want to say for sure.
          Rangerpowersports.com
          Ranger72

Comment

check out this thread........

Armand
            ++++++++++++
            '02 Lex. GS 300/silver

Comment

Enthusiast Detailer, I had the paint gun 6 to 8 inches while spraying. Either the gun needs adjusting or too much reducer mixed with paint or the paint needs a little thinner added. Sherwin Williams said to mix 8oz-4oz-1oz (paint-reducer-hardner).

*Update*
              I went a little too far in a few spots and found the primer. No primer showing in the pic. For the most part I will respray after the orange peel gets removed. This project is a first for me. I have never painted a vehicle before and decided to do it myself. It has been and is a learning experience. Here is another shot of the the same hood area that I started with 400 grit and stopped at 1000. It was buffed out afterwards. I have plenty of paint leftover so repainting won't bother me.

Last edited by NascarFool; Sep 16, 2005, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Hey not bad I have an old 77 F150 that I would love to paint. I have a large air compressor, but I wonder where I would do shoot? Did you use a garage or a shop? Can you post a pic of your area, and what did you spend on tools (ie spray gun etc)?
                Do you have pics of the stages of the job?
                http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/546...mallgz2.th.jpg

Comment

Some primers are suposed to be wetsanded before painted on..
                  Because they raise(?) when they get wet.. I bet that's it..
                  A friend of mine made the same mistake.. That ain't orange peel.. it's goosebumps

Comment

Originally posted by Karl SS
                    Some primers are suposed to be wetsanded before painted on..
                    Because they raise(?) when they get wet.. I bet that's it..
                    A friend of mine made the same mistake.. That ain't orange peel.. it's goosebumps

Karl,

there are 2 threads on this topic, In the other thread he stated he prepped it correctly

As I thought, and as it turned out that he was adding too much reducer. This was caused by the paint tech giving him the wrong ratio of paint, reducer and hardener

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');