• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

removing gum from paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing gum from paint

while detailing my car this afternoon i noticed that there was a piece of gum that was baked onto the trunklid. when i clayed the whole car with quik clay i was unable to remove it. what do you think would be the best product to remove it? thanks in advance

nick

Hey Nick,

I would using Meguiar's Gold Class Bug and Tar Remover or Meg's Body Solvent. You will need to apply the product to the gum and allow it to dwell for a few minutes, and gently wipe it off. This make take several applications as it is better to remove a little at a time rather than risk scratching the paint by being aggressive by trying to remove it all at once.

Please keep us posted!

Tim
    Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

You could also try a paint cleaner like ScratchX or Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner, especially if there is any residue left or marring on the finish.
      Mike Phillips
      760-515-0444
      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

pardon my ignorance, but what is marrying? is it the same as etching?
        rollin 22's

www.fordexplorer.net

www.cardomain.com/id/explore_02xlt

Comment

Originally posted by explore_02xlt
          pardon my ignorance, but what is marrying? is it the same as etching?
          TRANSITIVE VERB:
          marred , mar·ring , mars

1. To inflict damage, especially disfiguring damage, on.
          2. To impair the soundness, perfection, or integrity of; spoil.

NOUN:

A disfiguring mark; a blemish.

Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

What about freezing the gum?

That would work. Would it hurt the pait though?

You can buy a can of gum removal which freezes gum, or you can buy the Dust-Off or similar computer cleaner... you know the cans of compressed air and turn them upside-down so they dispense a liquid which evaporates immmediatly thus freezes anything it comes into contact with.

Would freezing the gum and a small section of the paint be a bad idea?

Comment

Originally posted by Jbirk

Would freezing the gum and a small section of the paint be a bad idea?
              i don't see why not since, cars in alaska are pretty much bombarded with ice coverage on their paint i don't THINK (keyword) it would hurt it..
              rollin 22's

www.fordexplorer.net

www.cardomain.com/id/explore_02xlt

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');