• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Orange Peel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Peel

I read through the Forums as much as possible on removing Orange Peel through normal detailing methods and know and understand that it can't be done unless wet/color sanding is done. OK I am fine with that and understand it.

But, I think the majority of the threads I have read seemed to be focused on using a given product at a given point in time with the intention of removing the Orange Peel. This obviously isn't happening.

A though that just occured to me is that I was wondering if "Over Time" (say 1-2 years) anyone has noticed that by using a particular product or combination of products that they "think" they might have reduced or minimized the Orange Peel effect in any way. This would only be applicable to the Orange Peel in the clear coat I guess.

I have a 3 month old Honda Ridgeline and the Orange Peel is my only issue. It's not worth my putting out the coin to wet/color sand this paint as this is an ungaraged daily driver. So I was curious if there might be hope.

I am almost looking forward to a small fender bender or something similar where I can get a little financial help from the Insurance Company and throw some of my cash in with it and go for a custom "flat" paintjob.
    Jeff Smith

Don't mistake my enthusiasm for experience.

a flat paintjob on a ridgeline... lol...

Comment

Hehe, Hey it's new & paid off. What the heck else can I do with it? Comptech has not come out with the Supercharger yet.
      Jeff Smith

Comment

put on them 22"s and giant speakers and LCD monitors in the concole and headrests.... hahahha.... or get some black steel rims and get some serious off road tires and a grille guard and do a 3" lift....

Comment

Looking into that already. Already put 20"s on it though.

This is what she looks like so far:

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/galler...cat=500&page=2[/IMG]

Just had the 2 front windows tinted the other day. Just about finished adding all the exterior features.

Got the new DA today with pads and such. I plan on taking it down to the clearcoat in a week or 2. Then Clay then use #80 then a couple coats of NXT likely topped with Gold. Hopefully I can get a little more pop out of it.

I have kind of decided to make this a project vehicle. I recently went through a separation and am finding it rather enjoyable to get off my butt and detail this thing. So I decided to start looking into other future upgrades. I consider it a form of mental therapy.
          Last edited by Jeff Smith; Sep 7, 2005, 11:12 PM.
          Jeff Smith

Comment

looks great man
            rollin 22's

www.fordexplorer.net

www.cardomain.com/id/explore_02xlt

Comment

Re: Orange Peel

Originally posted by j333_76484
              A thought that just occurred to me is that I was wondering if "Over Time" (say 1-2 years) anyone has noticed that by using a particular product or combination of products that they "think" they might have reduced or minimized the Orange Peel effect in any way. This would only be applicable to the Orange Peel in the clear coat I guess.
              Doubtful on this one, if you want a flat finish, wet-sanding is the way to go but wet-sanding factory finishes can be very difficult and if it is to be done, it's bet to leave it to a Professional with lots of experience.

I have a 3 month old Honda Ridgeline and the Orange Peel is my only issue. It's not worth my putting out the coin to wet/color sand this paint as this is an ungaraged daily driver. So I was curious if there might be hope.
              I looked at a half a dozen Ridgelines at our local Honda dealer and all of them had what I would call fairly bad orange peel.
              Mike Phillips
              760-515-0444
              showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Understand all Mike. Wishful thinking on my part.

Yeah the Ridgelines have it pretty bad. Gonna have to live with it.

Got my new PC yesterday so I am looking forward to getting to work. Maybe after going through the whole gambit with the PC I might be able to get a little better shine out of it and can learn to be content with the Orange Peel. I am sure I'll be doing some experimenting. I already get numerous comments just from using the NXT line by hand so I am sure I'll see a big improvement from the use of the PC.

Gonna spend a few more days reading through some of the PC threads before getting started and try to make "Lesson Learned" notes others have offered up.
                Jeff Smith

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');