• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! What do I need additional to orbital buffer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! What do I need additional to orbital buffer?

Here is the german Meguiars Freak again! ;-) I have seen that there are a lot of posts regarding my topic (or similar) but at this time I´m too confused to place an order.

Okay, I´m planning to buy a Meguiars cordless orbital buffer from Meguiars in germany (because the dual action is not available here!). The package contains the foam polishing pad W-8006.

The german catalogue description for the W-8006 is:
    Perfectly for the use with paintcleaner, cleaner waxes and polishes. The polishing action removes small surface defects and brings back the glaze / shine.

Additional I can buy the following products:
    - Polishing pad W-9006, which is descripted as followed: Perfecty for the use of waxes like NXT oder goldclass. The foam pad brings a maximum shining.....

- Ultimate bonnet microfiber
    This "polishing" hat is descripted as:
    For the use with the orbital buffer. You will be satisfied how fast this removes the products. Use it onto a clean soft polishing pad with the orbital bufffer und you can ALSO (?) easily remove wax or polishs....

So what I want to do: I want to use the buffer for paint cleaner, polish and wax. What should I buy beside the buffer (incl the 8006 pad)? Can someone explain the exact use STEP BY STEP? As I understand, I use e.g. the 9006 pad to APPLY AND REMOVE the wax? But I dont believe this is correct!?! The description of the ultimate bonnet is not clear, so maybe this is the point?

2 additional questions:

1) How do I clean the pads??? I read that I can put the bonnet into the washer, but what about the pads?

2) Which products from the professional series could also be used with this buffer? My company is starting car detailing (at the beginning only for tests, later professional for money)? I read that this maschine is to small to be used as a scratch remover etc... but like I mentioned, the dual action is not available in germany...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER! I must know this before I place an order - the price if this parts are nearby 2 times higher that in USA... :-(

Tuningfreak- I don't use that kind of buffer, so I can only give some general advice.

I'd consider that buffer to be like a "fast hand that doesn't get tired" (well, it does't get tired until the battery runs down ), so I'd basically use productst that work OK by hand. See what Mike says, but I'd guess that Scratch-X and *maybe* #80 are about as aggressive as you can go with this machine.

Polishing (8006) and finishing (9006) pads only. 8006 for anything "heavy" with lots of oils and for all products that "do work". 9006 for "light" products that don't do work (typically Last Step Products).

For product removal (especially LSP removal) you can try the ultimate bonnet, which I prefer to use over a cutting (7006) pad. Note that it'll load up sorta fast if you have too much product on there. I'd get plenty of those bonnets if you want to remove much with them as most people tend to use way too much product. I don't remove product with the foam pads and I don't think that many people try to do that.

I wash out my pads by hand using dishwashing soap or an all-purpose cleaner.
    Practical Perfectionist

Comment

TuningFreak,

Erste... guten tag mein freund!

Secondly, like Accumulator said, that machine isn't much better than working by hand. I doubt that it will do even light paint corrective work.

I would think it over before you spend the money.
      Boss_429

Comment

Erste... guten tag mein freund!
        :-) Nice - Guten Tag!

Thank you for your reply. First I have to say: I only want to use this cablefree orbital buffer because I´m tired of using my hands! ;-) I got great results on my car (see in "Show off") but its a work for nearly 2 days and my company is more important than a clean car. So I thought (and read) that everything is going faster with this buffer - I dont need BETTER work (if so, its great), I need a FASTER work! ;-) If I will decide that my company will offer professional car detailing, I will buy a professional maschine.

So, is it easier and faster with this buffer or do you think NO?

Again a question to the pads, because I believe there is a part I dont understand because of the language...

Do I use a pad to bring the wax/cleaner/polish ONTO the surface and THEN use the BONNET to remove it (instead using a ultimate wipe or super terry)??? Thats the main point I still dont understand...

Thanks again for help!

Comment

Well, if you are going to use that polisher to only apply non-corrective products... like pure polishes or waxes/sealants, then it will probably be a bit faster (and easier) than doing it by hand. The real benefit will be the thin, even coat of product you will be able to apply.

Yes, use a pad to "apply" the product, and then use the bonnet over a clean pad to remove the product.

Keep in mind that you will still have to do some areas by hand that the polisher cannot reach.

Even though it refers to the G-100, (PC) much of the info in this forum can help you out:

Hope this helps.
          Boss_429

Comment

Re: HELP! What do I need additional to orbital buffer?

As the others have pointed out, the cordless polisher has limitations. It basically comes down to speed and power. Removing defects like scratches, etching and swirls require that you remove some paint to flatten the surface. It takes work to remove paint and the more power you have available the more you can accomplish. Portable batteries simply don’t hold enough power to do major work.

They can keep going longer than a person’s arm so they are still useful. They will work fine for products that you apply to a surface, waxes, glazes non-cutting polishes and cleaners. You can also use them for removing wax. If you have very light swirls you may be able to remove them with a fine cutting polish and a cordless but it won’t be nearly as effective as a corded polisher.

There could be many ways to use your G104 cordless polisher with different products. Since you asked for a step-by-step description here is one possible way:

Wash with car shampoo.

Clay.

Clean; G104 with W8006 pad and a product like #80 Speed Glaze, #9 Swirl Remover, Medallion Paint Cleaner or Deep Crystal Cleaner step 1. Remove residue with a microfiber towel.

Wax; G104 with W9006 pad and product like #26, NXT Tech Wax, Gold Class Wax or Deep Crystal Wax step 3. Remove dried wax with G104 and a microfiber bonnet over a clean dry pad, either W8006 or W7006.

That’s just one possibility, there are many more.

Originally posted by Tuningfreak
            … I read that this maschine is to small to be used as a scratch remover etc... but like I mentioned, the dual action is not available in germany...
            To remove more serious defects you might try to look for a machine similar to the G100 from Festo, Metabo or Flex.

PC.

Comment

Thank you both for your useful answers.

For sure, I know that this cable free buffer couldnt be used as removing defects, swirls etc. - I only want to use it with paint cleaner, polish and wax like the 1,2,3 Step System or NXT Tech Wax etc.

So do you think for THIS it is a good idea to buy this buffer? Like I said, I need a "helping hand" because doing it by hand needs much time and power... If you will say: Its easier and faster with this maschine, I will buy it. If its the same work like by hand, its no sense to buy...

One last question (again): @PC: Do I understand right, that I should use the 2 different pads (8006/9006) to apply the product and use a microfiber towel etc to remove it? I read that I can use the ultimate bonnet for the buffer? Until now, I´m using the SUPER TERRY Towell to remove wax or polish... What do you think?

Comment

For sure, I know that this cable free buffer couldnt be used as removing defects, swirls etc. - I only want to use it with paint cleaner, polish and wax like the 1,2,3 Step System or NXT Tech Wax etc.

So do you think for THIS it is a good idea to buy this buffer? Like I said, I need a "helping hand" because doing it by hand needs much time and power... If you will say: Its easier and faster with this maschine, I will buy it. If its the same work like by hand, its no sense to buy...?
                I'd expect the cordless to make things easier and IMO it would be better than doing everything by hand.

You might also look at the CYCLO POLISHER You can get one in your voltage. I like my Cyclos a lot.
                Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Yes, the cordless G104 will work well with the Deep Crystal 1,2,3 and NXT while saving your arm from falling off.

I usually recommend it for people who don’t have electrical outlets where they keep their car (and would never want to remove serious defects themselves). If you have power available I would seriously consider getting a plug-in machine, even just for your own cars.

Personal style is a big part of it. The light weight and freedom from the cord are terrific. Having to deal with batteries is annoying.

…@PC: Do I understand right, that I should use the 2 different pads (8006/9006) to apply the product…?
                  Yes. Cleaners and cleaner/polishes work best with a W8006. Waxes and pure polishes work best with the W9006 (but also work well with the W8006). Here’s the chart for pads and products (and G-100 speed settings).

…and use a microfiber towel etc to remove it? I read that I can use the ultimate bonnet for the buffer?…
                  Cleaners and polishes should be removed wet. I prefer towels products for removing them because towels are larger and can hold more product. You can use bonnets but since they’re small I think you need to change them too often. You can also make the pad under the bonnet wet, and then it loses effectiveness. So the time you would save by using the machine is lost because you’re constantly stopping to change bonnets and pads. It would be easier on your arms though.

Waxes are removed dry and if you apply them with a machine they go on very thin. A bonnet will last a lot longer. I usually do half a car with one side of a bonnet then turn it inside out to do the other half.

…Until now, I´m using the SUPER TERRY Towell to remove wax or polish... What do you think?
                  The Super Terry is a great towel. Personally, I just usually prefer microfiber to cotton but that’s just me. Get one and try it for yourself.

Oh, I forgot to mention, Fein and Bosch might also make appropriate machines. I love German power tools.

PC.

Comment

Thank you!!!

For sure, at this time I only want to have an easier way to use wax and polish. Like I said, I`m thinking about a professional car clinic in germany, but this would be a long way and I dont have the possibility of learning from "detailing days" etc at Meguiars germany. At the moment I only want to keep my car nice and beginning of next year a new sporting car will come and I dont want to miss the chance to do everything right from the beginning.

Hmm... I received the new professional catalogue from a supplier of Meguiars in germany. There is also a "plug in" maschine in, maybe I will buy this instead of the cordless. I will post the details of it later today, maybe you can tell me sth. about it and if its suitable for removing defects (if I will decide to do this).

Have a nice day!

Comment

Okay, I checked the catalogue now. Catalogue is named "Meguiars Showcar Shine - Professional".

There are all products listet which are used by pro-detailers. There is also a "buffer" in. Article number in this catalogue is "EZLS6", I cant find this anywhere at meguiars online. Also there is no good description: "10.000 OPM, best results to remove holograms and swirls, high power excenter with 19.6mm hub for a secure deep-glaze finish"

Can someone tell me WHICH product this is? Its also a bad picture, looks like one of the first polishers / buffers. If no one can help me, I could scan the picture....

Comment

Is this what the EZLS6 looks like?

This is a National Detroit EZLS series air sander.

If this is the tool there are couple issues.

First, it’s not electric. It’s air powered. You need an air compressor, a pretty large one, to run it.

Second, it’s designed as a sander/polisher. This is the sort of tool that’s used for high volume production work by trained and experienced factory technicians. You would need to run it much slower than it’s maximum speed or you’ll shread your pads.

PC.

Comment

Damn, I´m afraid THIS is the tool which is shown in the catalogue. Are there any global companys like bosch etc which have a similar product to the meguiars products? I read that they have also these products, but I dont know which are fitting with the meguiars pads... Argggggg.... I`m getting mad! lol

Comment

Meguiar's pads (and almost everybody else's) are attached with "hook and loop", Velcro. The hook surface is on the polisher's backing plate and the fuzzy loop material surface is glued to the pad.

A lot of sandpaper is also hook&loop so just about everybody's orbital sanders are available with "hook" type backing plates. The plates that are meant for polishing are softer than most plates used for sanding and usually have a foam layer or are made of flexible plastic but I believe the sanding plates can be used if they fit ok and don't dig into the pads.

The Meguiar's W64DA backing plate (that comes with the G100) for use with 6.5" (165mm) pads is 5" (125mm) in diameter.

I'm sure all of the manufacturers have Velcro backing plates for their orbital sanders. Some are also meant for polishing. In know Festo and Bosch both have polishers for Velcro pads.

PC.

Comment

Contact Flex Tools through the website or by phone or something and ask if they carry a comparable unit to the Porter Cable 7336SP.

I found this but it's not quite the same.

Or see if you can get the megs version through the UK or even through the U.S.

Where there's a will there's a way!!

You would not be disappointed with the purchase and could probably make the money back to pay for it in no time flat. After you use it and others see what a great job you did you would surely have people asking to do their cars next!!

I just did a BMW 325xi last saturday and the results were pretty darn good!

!

All this was done with this machine and a W8006 pad with M80 polish.(except for a few big scratches) I'll post more pics of it in the show off section in the next day or 2 when I get a chance.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');