• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you a 100% Meguiars user?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just started with the Meguiar's bug. I've got about 50% now. There are some items which I just can't seem to find locally. The Quik Clay and the NXT tire cleaner are two that come to mind.

Since I have so much other car care stuff, I want to use up what I have.
    2000 Nissan Maxima
    2005 Nissan Xterra

Comment

hhaah i use as much meguiars as possible but thats only about 45%
      BTW canada does have NXT Glass cleaner i think ... but i use windex auto because i have a huge supply(it isnt that great is says no steaks but thats not true)

none of my applicator pads or towels are meguiars they jsut dont sell them in canada in stores( dont have a credit card only 16)

and 24DNT ive heard reports that amrorall cracks your dash or changes the colour because drys out the plastic too much i think you should try meguiars natural shine it always looks so good
      Patrick Yu
      2003 Honda Accord
      2008 Honda Accord EX-L V6

Comment

Most everything I use is from Meg's but I'll try other stuff too. I recently tried a polish from Auto Glym called Super Resin. While I was polishing my truck, my wife pulled up and was like "is that a new polish? did you to the back half of the truck already? I noticed it from up the hill." About a half an hour later my neighbor asked, "what you use different this time, it looks great?" I followed up with two coats of NXT and I got two more comments from complete strangers over the following few days. If you look at my collection you'll only find a few items that don't have Meg's lables on them, the first is this bottle of Auto Glym and the other is a bottle of MX-7 Plus (a water spot remover for paint produced locally) and a few bars of red and blue clay from Body Magic.

Comment

Hey Sneek,

It's only now that I'm starting to notice some slight dicolouration from the armorall product for the dash plus it's slight greasiness it attracting dust like crazy. I know I'll be making that switch very soon! Thanks foro pointing it out though. Would hate to get cracks in the Mazda 3!

Comment

80% here, I use a pnumeatic DA, generic MF towels and shop rags. Other than that its meguiars for everything except rain-X

Comment

I'd say 95% Megs. Biggest problem is many products arent easily available from the high street and Meguiars Uk charges to ship and takes an age

Non Megs products I 'sometimes' use dependent on condition of car and weather.

PC 7224
              Sonus SFX-1 and SFX-2
              P21S Gloss Enhancer
              P21S Carnauba Wax
              303 Protectant (still my favourite for dashboards)
              Zymol Field Glaze (but only in warm weather)
              Zymol Titanium Carnauba Wax (very rarely use now)

Comment

I would have if not for the outrageously high price of Meguiar's products where I live.

Comment

100% Meg's only
                  I just love detailing

Comment

Mostly Meg's. I am converting over to them lol. The only thing I don't really plan to convert to them is towels because I already have a bunch and have found a cheaper alternative if they wear out.
                    Lydia's Mobile Detailing
                    Professional Detailing since 2007

1997 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 - Green
                    2007 Honda ST1300 - Silver

Comment

I'm not 100% Meguiars (probably around 60%), but after spending way too much money on "flavor of the month" boutique products in 2005, I'm planning on spending 2006 converting over to be about 90% Meguiars. The only exceptions are in towels and PC pads.

Buddha
                      Trust me...Your patience will be rewarded...

Comment

I use almost 100% Meg's stuff. I do use a different brand MF towels. All my paint care items are Meg's. I use a different tire cleaner (unfortunately, it's discontinued, it was Westley's. In a can, with a built in brush), and Mother's vert top cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by sneek
                          hhaah i use as much meguiars as possible ....{snipped..cjb}

and 24DNT ive heard reports that amrorall cracks your dash or changes the colour because drys out the plastic too much i think you should try meguiars natural shine it always looks so good
                          Hello Sneek (everyone):
                          As was mentioned in some other thread, the Internet can be a wonderful source of good information, or a place that myths, rumors and misinformation flourish like mold. IMHO ArmorAll has been the subject of such misinformation for many years.

I have a 1972 Datsun 240-Z that I bought brand new, it has had nothing but ArmorAll used on it's dash - and the dash is perfect today. At the time ArmorAll was one of very few products for vinyl/rubber protection.

I also have a second 1972 Datsun 240-Z that I bought from its original owner, it too has had nothing but ArmorAll used on its dash - and that one is perfect as well. Both Z's have lived in the Florida Sun for their entire life.

Anyone that has dealt much with the 240-Z's knows that one of the few problem area's on that car beside "rust" is that the expansive vinyl dashes crack with age, as exposure to UV, thermal cycles and vibration normally take their toll.

Over the years, where-ever possible, when someone tells the story of how ArmorAll dried out or cracked their dash - I've followed up with farther investigation. In every case the story fell apart because several other factors were always present - when ArmorAll got the blame.

While Mequiar's will not disclose the exact chemical composition of its products (trade secretes), we could find very few differences in the chemical compositions of several commercial "vinyl protectant" products among ArmorAll or any of it's competitors. (used an aerospace materials lab for breakdown and comparisons, where I used to work).

24DNT - if you are finding a sticky build-up problem, it is most likely that you are applying way to much, and/or failing to follow the directions that tell you to remove any excess after a few hours. As for the discoloration, if it is turning from color to gray.. gray is an indication of UV damage to vinyl. Nothing will reverse it, but you can slow it down by protecting the dash from direct sunlight - put a sun screen in your windshield or cover the dash when its left in direct sun for prolonged periods. The UV blockers in any vinyl protectant are very thin and very limited in their ability.

BTW - AIR - I started using Mequiar's products around 1959... like everyone else, I've tried many other products.. but always returned to the known quality of Mequiars for automotive paint finishes.

Carl B.
                          Clearwater, FL
                          Datsun/Nissan Z Car site: 240Z, Datsun 240Z, Z Car, Nissan Z, Nissan Z Car, restoration, repair, history, links, clubs, parts sources, book reviews and more.

Comment

100%. Looking for a microfiber wash mit.

Comment

I have a 1972 Datsun 240-Z that I bought brand new, it has had nothing but ArmorAll used on it's dash - and the dash is perfect today. At the time ArmorAll was one of very few products for vinyl/rubber protection.
                              My father drives a 1985 VW Jetta, and he also used ArmorAll
                              all the time on his vinyl on the exterior and on the interior as well
                              and it still looks as new, no cracks or whatsoever.
                              I just love detailing

Comment

Almost 100%. I have a bundle of non Megs mf towels, STP Son of a Gun protectant, Simple Green rest is Meguiar's!!
                                MOL- Welcome to the world of real detailer's

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');