• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hazy Circles with #80

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazy Circles with #80

Long time reader, first time poster...

So here's the issue:

This is my first detail with the #80 product. Good stuff, no doubt about it. Very pleased with the results so far. But it seems that in the places I pressed the pad around the area I am working to spread the product, I have a hazy circle on the paint mirroring where the product was on the pad (does that even make sense?).

So now I am left with an otherwise near flawless finish, but with these odd hazy circles from the preliminary product spreading/application.

Any thoughts?

Did you try going over those areas again?
    Quadruple Honda Owner
    Black cars are easy!

Comment

I tried two things. I went over the area with #83 and a polishing pad, same results. Then I tried a QD and that only seemed to make it more pronounced. Is it possible that the surface I'm working on is too warm? I kept the car out of the sun as best as possible, but it is a black car after all...

Comment

It sounds like your products are acting extra-aggressive where you're first putting the PC on the paint, right? Note that these products have diminishing abrasives; they'll be most aggressive when you first start working them. That's the time to be careful about what they're doing.

Two things could be responsible- environmental issues and/or technique.

First I'd make sure the surface of the car isn't too hot. That can make products flash too fast which will make them act overly aggressive (fewer oils/carriers to cushion the abrasives while they break down). Might not take much heat for this to happen.

Then I'd stop rubbing the products into the paint when you "spread them around" during the initial application. Some people apply product directly to the panels, others apply sufficient product to the pad and then just work a given area *without* any initial spreading of product. In either case, you might want to fully "prime" your pad with product so it's evenly distributed on the pad. Then just work the area that you can do with that amount of product; spread the product by moving the PC over the area during the regular act of polishing. Then add more product to work the next area.

Try to limit any pressure on the PC when first applying it to the panels. You don't want to "grind in" the as-yet-undiminished abrasives.
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Took another pass at it this morning on a nice cool surface. Completely removed any of the previous hazing and had no further issues. Most likely the product was probably flashing when the pad was dabbed on the paint surface to help spread the product. Good to know since I have another black car yet to go and there's still plenty of sun to go around for the next few days...

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');