• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Swirl finder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swirl finder

i saw on a thread somewhere quite a while ago someone had a type of torch that showed up swirls( might of been xenon or halogen).

did i imagine this or do they exist?

if yes what are they?

many thanks in advance Alex

Xenon --

Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Different types of lights tend to show up different defects. Halogen lamps in parking lots generaly show a lot of swirls, and some people will keep a bright portable halogen light in the garage to use to check for swirls.

To get the total picture, you almost need to use each type of light possible. But then you would end up with incandescent, haolgen, flourescent, LED, Xenon, etc..

edit:
      Ok, good.. go with just Xenon then...
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Illumination is a very complex subject and a given Light source has many characteristics.

I believe that this particular source (torch, flashlight, lamp, whatever you want to call it) shows swirls well because of its optical design. The lamp and reflector (and lens? it's been a while since I looked at it up close) produce a uniform and well collimated beam pattern which tends to highlight scratches.

I would not necessarily expect some other tungsten Xenon incandescent source to be similarly effective (maybe, maybe not).

PC.

(side note: "parking lot lights" are usually HID lamps.)

Comment

what did you polish with to get those results?

Comment

Originally posted by Superior Shine
            Xenon --

thanks, i'm glad i wasnt imaging these,
            if you dont mind me asking, how much?
            also as you all seem to have so many more toys available in the US, does anyone know where to get them and if they ship to the UK?

Comment

xenon light

Lowes

click the above link and see if you can order it from the web-site.
              Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Hmmm, ordering mine! lol
                Rangerpowersports.com
                Ranger72

Comment

Lowes dont ship to the UK
                  but i found this on Ebay,

if not maybe someone would consider selling one of the Lowes ones on Ebay for me

Comment

that link doesnt seem to work, if you type in "xenon torches" on Ebay it comes up with 2 hand held ones, not to sure if the fall into the same category as the Lowes one

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');