• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polishes on Clear Coats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishes on Clear Coats

About a month ago, I waxed my Explorer (before it was repainted from an accident). I used the DC Cleaner #1, DC Polish #2 and Gold Crystal Wax. The shine in comparison (next to an un-waxed, polished and cleaned area) was slightly better. But, the color in richness seemed the same. Sooooooo,…… this got me to thinking a little bit on Polishes on a Clear Coats.

So I am asking for your thoughts:

When we talk about polishes deepening and darkening the color, is this really only true in Single Stage Paints or is it somehow true on clear coats?

When we polish a clear coat paint, are we more along the lines on smoothing (and removing minor scratches) and making the finish (clear coat) glossier?

For those whom already know me on here, this vehicle is brand new (June of 05). Is it possible that the factory finish and color (It’s like a dark gray with metallic) are already at its greatest potential?

Don’t get me wrong on my thoughts of my results using Meg’s stuff. Meg’s products will be all I use. The way this vehicle shines now is incredible. Of course any detailing nut will always look for improving the look and I guess that is where I am on here.
    Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Re: Polishes on Clear Coats

Originally posted by BJClarke001
    When we talk about polishes deepening and darkening the color, is this really only true in Single Stage Paints or is it somehow true on clear coats?
    It has to do with its newness... and the terms impermeable and permeable.

From the Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle

Step-3 Polishing

Meguiar's offers two types of polishes, Cleaner Polishes and Pure Polishes. Cleaner Polishes are for removing very light or fine defects while restoring a crystal clear, smooth high gloss surface. Pure polishes are for finishes already in excellent condition and are for the purpose or creating brilliant high gloss with deep dark reflections.

If you look in Webster's Dictionary under the word polish, one of the definitions they include reads like this:

"A preparation that is used to produce gloss, and often color for the protection and decoration of a surface."

This definition best describes Meguiar's Pure Polishes. Meguiar's pure polishes are designed to create brilliant high gloss while preparing the surface for the application of a protective coating. Meguiar's pure polishes accomplish this without the use of abrasives.

Another definition found in Webster's Dictionary for polish is,

"To make smooth and glossy by friction."

This definition best describes Meguiar's Cleaner/Polishes. Meguiar's cleaner polishes are formulated to very gently abrade the surface with Meguiar's Diminishing Abrasive TM and Buffered Abrasive TM technology to remove the finest defects and create a perfectly smooth, high gloss finish.

Depending on what type of paint you're working on, traditional paints like lacquers and enamels, or catalyzed clear coats, Meguiar's has the products specifically designed to work on both types of paints, not to mention many other surfaces such as plastics and polyester resins (Fiberglas Gel-coats).

Meguiar's Trade Secret Polishing Oils
    The trade secret oils Meguiar's uses in both types of polishes are unique to the industry and to this day have never been surpassed for creating deep, dark reflections and brilliant high gloss by any of our competitors in over 100 years.

The oils Meguiar's uses are also important in maintaining the original condition of the paint by filling in the naturally occurring microscopic pores and surface imperfections thus preventing detrimental substances and elements as simple as water, or worse, acid-rain, from entering into these pores and microscopic surface imperfections thus causing oxidation and chemical etching. These oils act to replace the original resins as they wear away through natural processes.

When paint is new, it is the most impermeable it will ever be, this means it is a very smooth non-porous, continuous film. With age, exposure to the environment and micro-scratching caused by day-in, day-out wear and tear, your paint develops micro-fissures in the surface along with other defects. These micro-fissures and other defects act to make the continuous film or coating of paint more porous. As this happens, your car's finish becomes more vulnerable to corrosive elements that will attack and degrade your finish.

Remember, waxes, synthetic or otherwise, are meant to be Sacrificial Barriers with the intended purpose sealing the surface, while blocking those things that would attack your paint, from coming into direct contact with the paint.

"Waxes protect your finish by sacrificing themselves so that your paint doesn't have to"

An analogy is your skin. In the same way you can clean, polish and protect your skin, you can clean, polish and protect your car's finish. Soap can be used to clean your skin and remove dirt from the pores. Skin lotions can be used to moisturize your skin, conditioning it and making it more clear and beautiful. Protection products like lotions used to protect hands from exposure to chemicals and UV protectants can be applied to help protect your skin from the things that would attack your skin if these harmful things could come into direct contact with your skin.

While human skin and automotive paint are very different, the analogy is very similar. With Meguiar's, you can:

* Wash your car's finish to remove unwanted and accumulated dirt contaminants
    * Clean your paint with our special paint cleaners and cleaner/polishes
    * Polish your paint with our pure polishes to create unequaled beauty
    * Protect your paint with our advanced paint protection products
    * Maintain your car's finish using our fast and easy to use maintenance products.

The unique thing about Meguiar's highly specialized trade secret oils is their ability to restore and maintain the Optical Clarity of both single stage and clear coat paints in a way that waxes alone cannot match, (both natural and synthetic), the results of which are demonstrated in side-by-side comparisons.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
    X
    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');