• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

used #80 for light surface scratches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• used #80 for light surface scratches

prior to using #80, i had very very light surface scratches, only can be seen under certain light, and only able to be seen on the hood and roof...i used #80 to remove them, but it looks like i removed the old and created new ones removing the #80, also at some points the #80 was a pita to remove, my mf towel was like sticking to the #80 , and made a squeeky clean noise while removing it..the mf towel was brand new but a walmart special.. i plan trying the #80 again , but using a better "meguiars" mf towel to remove it, also should i put #80 on by hand again or use my orbital..i want to eliminate the surface scratches before moving on past the #80 to my next product..

any thoughts..?

thanks...
    Last edited by oc detailer; Aug 23, 2005, 05:44 AM.
    "that car is dirty"

How are you applying the #80 Speed Glaze and what are you working on?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I had a few of those towels laying around and used one only to find more scratches after polishing.

I have since only used high quality towels and those are used on glass or interior parts.

Comment

Re: used #80 for light surface scratches

Originally posted by oc detailer
        prior to using #80, i had very very light surface scratches, only can be seen under certain light, and only able to be seen on the hood and roof...i used #80 to remove them, but it looks like i removed the old and created new ones removing the #80, also at some points the #80 was a pita to remove, my mf towel was like sticking to the #80 , and made a squeeky clean noise while removing it..the mf towel was brand new but a walmart special..

any thoughts..?
        Yup... those Walmart towels, did you make sure that you didn't allow the edges of the towel, (with the stitching), to touch the paint while buffing the #80 off? If not that is where your new scratches came from. The nylon thread used in the towels to sew up the edges.

What I did with my walmart MF towels was to cut that edging off the towels.

As for the #80 being hard to get off the car and sticking to the towels, was it totally dry? (the #80 that is). And did you put it on fairly thick? As you only need a thin coat of it on the paint.

Comment

applying it by hand,as stated, the car is a titanium grey mazda 3,bad pic but u get the idea..

i used very lil #80 and did one section at a time, it seems to dry fast though, like there are no oils in that stuff..
          time for me to get some new better quality mf towels...im guessing now it would be better to apply #80 with the orbital to get rid of the mf towel inflicted scratches, then use dc#2 , gold class wax, then #26..
          "that car is dirty"

Comment

Originally posted by oc detailer
            I'm guessing now it would be better to apply #80 with the orbital to get rid of the MF towel inflicted scratches, then use dc#2 , gold class wax, then #26..
            When working by hand, it's pretty hard to beat ScratchX for removing swirls and scratches. Follow the defect removal instructions in this article.

How To Remove Swirls By Hand
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');