• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Use QD on Wheels for Brake Dust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use QD on Wheels for Brake Dust?

My Explorer is garage kept and is not a daily driver (actually, it's my wife's and she is a stay at home Mom). For the last week, the vehicle has stayed fairly clean with minor dust. When I looked at the wheels (Rims), they were dirty from Brake Dust (Disc Brakes on front and back). I almost pulled out my Quick Detailer Spray to clean this mess up and thought I would post it here first before doing so. My fear is not so much for the scratching factor but more to the QD residue effecting the brakes. Or maybe, there is a better way to clean this. Let me know and thanks.
    Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

I am usually just overly cautious with my wheels. While QD may be fine, I prefer to just rinse them off with water to get the dust off. That being said, my only real concern with QD would be if you applied it while the wheels were too warm. Then you would be left with that nasty residue.

-GT

Comment

Re: Use QD on Wheels for Brake Dust?

Originally posted by BJClarke001
      My Explorer is garage kept and is not a daily driver (actually, it's my wife's and she is a stay at home Mom). For the last week, the vehicle has stayed fairly clean with minor dust. When I looked at the wheels (Rims), they were dirty from Brake Dust (Disc Brakes on front and back). I almost pulled out my Quick Detailer Spray to clean this mess up and thought I would post it here first before doing so. My fear is not so much for the scratching factor but more to the QD residue effecting the brakes. Or maybe, there is a better way to clean this. Let me know and thanks.
      Using a QD on the wheels is just fine. BUT...I suggest spraying the QD on the towel to apply to the wheels, then remove. Make sure the wheels are cool and do not use those MF towels on the paint; keep those towels dedicated for the wheels only.

Tim
      Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Dont spray it directly on the weel as said above. My reasoning for this is because: I drive my truck pretty hard (little sleeper hehe) and when I have tried to wipe down using QD, if I sprayed it directly on the rim, it would loosen the fresh dust from the inside of the rim and the towel would smear it all over making it difficult to buff the rim. Like 2hotford said, spray the toweling.
        Rangerpowersports.com
        Ranger72

Comment

Well, thanks guys. Got it. Don't spray on the rim but wet the Towel with QD. Good safety tip. I know I could wash just the rims but that is a pain to drag all the stuff out. So, I wanted a quick hit fix and this is just what I'll do.
          Brad

Comment

Originally posted by BJClarke001
            Well, thanks guys. Got it. Don't spray on the rim but wet the Towel with QD. Good safety tip. I know I could wash just the rims but that is a pain to drag all the stuff out. So, I wanted a quick hit fix and this is just what I'll do.
            Just remember to keep those wheel towels separate and dedicated for that task only.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
              Just remember to keep those wheel towels separate and dedicated for that task only.

Tim
              Tim,

Oh yeah, that too. I know this too. I can always tell the towel that has been used for this application after it comes out of the wash. It alway looks dinggy (is that how that is spelled? Not the little rubber boat but as in remaining slightly dirty). Do you think it is OK to wash these towels that have Brake Dust on them with the "Good" MF Towels? Hmmm, ya got me thinking here now. My wife will kill me if I make this care care stuff any more complicated for her then it already is , LOL. Looks like I may be doing my own wash.
              Brad

Comment

Hey Brad,

I would wash the dingy(Sp? ) towels separate from the rest for same reason - you do not want to contaminate the good towels with the particles(metallic or other) that may have come off your wheels. Yeah, I hear you on the extra work washing the towels. But in my eyes, an extra 20 minute wash cycle is a lot less than a 8 hour buffing job if one of the dirty wheel towels accidently marred the paint. Just IMHO!

Tim

Comment

If you havent tried the All Wheel Cleaner, you should it works great made my rims crystal clean. I would of said crystal clear but that wouldnt have made sense would it?

Comment

Originally posted by LT22
                    If you havent tried the All Wheel Cleaner, you should it works great made my rims crystal clean. I would of said crystal clear but that wouldnt have made sense would it?
                    .... But I can read you Crystal Clear.

You mean you put this stuff on a dry wheel and wipe it off with a damp sponge? I think I have this stuff but I only used it when washing the car and rinsing with the hose. Am I coming accross Crystal Like Clear?
                    Brad

Comment

Every detailing enthusiasts should have at a minimum two towel piles and two microfiber polishing cloth piles, or collections.

One group consists of your Good towels or microfibers, these are what you would use on paint.

The other group consists of your Tatty towels or microfibers, these are what you would for wiping moldings, fender lips, tires, etc.

Then only wash towels from one collection with others from the same collection so as not to contaminate your good towels with the kind of dirt and particulates that your tatty towels will come into contact with.
                      Mike Phillips
                      760-515-0444
                      showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips
                        Every detailing enthusiasts should have at a minimum two towel piles and two microfiber polishing cloth piles, or collections.

One group consists of your Good towels or microfibers, these are what you would use on paint.

The other group consists of your Tatty towels or microfibers, these are what you would for wiping moldings, fender lips, tires, etc.

Then only wash towels from one collection with others from the same collection so as not to contaminate your good towels with the kind of dirt and particulates that your tatty towels will come into contact with.
                        That is a great point you point out Mike. Alot of people mix up their toweling/ rags because after washing they store them all together. What I do, on my shelving system, where I store all my supplies, I have four seperate milk crates with toweling. One has clean, paint acceptable Micro fibers, another clean paint acceptable fullsize terrys, another with microfiber sized terrys, and the last with "rags" which consist of old micro's, terrys, etc.
                        Rangerpowersports.com
                        Ranger72

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips

This sounds really familiar!!!

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger72
                            That is a great point you point out Mike. Alot of people mix up their toweling/ rags because after washing they store them all together. What I do, on my shelving system, where I store all my supplies, I have four seperate milk crates with toweling. One has clean, paint acceptable Micro fibers, another clean paint acceptable fullsize terrys, another with microfiber sized terrys, and the last with "rags" which consist of old micro's, terrys, etc.
                            Ranger 72,

Yes, at least I learned something new for detailing today about the towels.

I store most of my regular stuff in one of those 4-plastic drawer gizmos ya get from Wal-Mart or Kmart (Where ever you do all your fine shopping at). The bottom drawer is high enough for all the bottle products that are used in a typical detail. The other drawers I have the various level of towels as you mentioned using with your milk crates. This drawer system has casters on it to so you can roll it near you to do the work. And, it has a flat surface on the top. Before I had this, I use to polish/wax and store the bottle on the hood while applying/rubbing. The bottle would slide off and of course it would always squirt something in some direction when hitting the floor. So, I like my little $16 plastic drawers. Oh, it is also nice too because when the drawers are shut, it keeps the dust off everything.

Boy........ Are we going off topic now? LOL. Oh well, that's how we learn I guess.
                            Brad

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');