• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Final Wiping Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Wiping Techniques

Final Wiping Techniques

Final Wiping Techniques
    One mention about your final wiping technique. (Not initial removal of product, but after the most of a product has been removed and now you're just giving the finish a final wipe).

Often times we'll witness people wiping the wax off their car, or giving their car's paint a final wipe using fast, spastic wiping motions. Instead, try this, take your wiping cloth, whether microfiber or cotton, be sure it is large enough to fold it 4 ways to give you plenty of cushion to distribute your hand/finger pressure more evenly over the surface of the side of the cloth in contact with the paint, and then wipe the finish slooooowly, not quickly like you're trying to put a fire out.

Wipe the finish slowly. Give the substance on the surface enough time to transfer to the fibers of the wiping cloth. Think about it... if you move your wiping cloth quickly over the surface, you're only allowing nano-seconds for any small amount of wax/polymer residue to transfer from the paint to the cloth.

If you slow down the rate of travel of the cloth over the finish, you improve the chance for whatever it is you're trying to remove to successfully transfer to the fibers of your wiping cloth.

If you follow all of the above, always using clean, dedicated applicator pads to apply your products, then removing them using clean wiping cloths, your finish should look clear, glossy and rich in color.

"Slow down to speed up"

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Re: Final Wiping Techniques

I really like the Ultimate Wipe cloths for the final wipe. At least for me, they work very well.
    Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
    --Al Kimel

Comment

I might have to try that some time. I just lightly mist a microfiber towel with some QD and run it over real quick. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Great tip, I have to admit I do it rather quickly as well but I will try this next time!
        Is it me or is it strange that the first reply is 3.5 years later than it was posted?

Comment

Originally posted by Dibbuz View Post
          Great tip, I have to admit I do it rather quickly as well but I will try this next time!
          Is it me or is it strange that the first reply is 3.5 years later than it was posted?
          yea, that is a long time
          Nick
          Tucker's Detailing Services
          815-954-0773
          2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Yes, it seemed like too long a time to me, too, so I thought I would bump it up for the benefit of all who have not seen this tip.
            Swirls hide in the black molecular depths, only waiting for the right time to emerge and destroy your sanity.
            --Al Kimel

Comment

yet, when mol was on the old forum engine, i remember this thread, and mike's invaluable tips stuck to me instantly. i used to be one those fire outage wax removal techniques but not after this thread!
              Regards, Wilco
              There's No Shine Like Meguiar's

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Phillips View Post
                "Slow down to speed up"
                That's a great way to put it.
                We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master.

Ernest Hemingway (1899-1961)

Comment

i love doing this technique.. been doing this everytime.. afraid that any leftover residue might leave a swirl...
                  Ganesa,
                  Toyota Vios '05

Theres a difference in a person who has to do it and a person who wants to do it

Comment

RUBBISH!!

The faster I give it the final wipe, the sooner I can stand back and admire my work, and get in and go for a drive!

Oh.....okay, I guess you got a good point there.

Comment

So how should I use the supreme shine microfiber for using Last Touch or buffing paint cleaners or dried wax?

Are they correct?
                      1. I sprayed Last touch in a panel, spread it using a circular motion with folded by 4 Supreme Shine Microfiber. Then Turn the towel, use a slow circular motion to to the final wipe?

2. I buff dried wax / wet paint cleaners with S Pattern, and then turn the towel an use circular motion to do the final wipe?

3. Should I use Wash mitt it circular or S pattern during washing?
                      "Does it come in black?" Bruce Wayne / Batman Begins

Comment

1. With quick detailer type sprays, you have options. You can spray the cloth, or spray the panel, or do a bit of both. Usually depends on how bit of a problem overspray would be.

2. Wont matter.... Whatever fits the panel you are working on.

3. Wont matter.... Whatever fits the panel you are working on.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Depending upon the type of chemical I am using, the ambient temperature and a few other variables, dictates the speed of my buffing/wiping MF. When using a certain instant detailer, depending on how it is acting, I may speed up my hand motion, as to remove residual chemical before it bonds to the finish.

If you think about it, if you move the MF at twice the speed, the MF is in contact with the finish for a lesser duration per wipe, but...there are more wipes per a given time frame, therefore, balances out. Now this theory may be right, or may be wrong, (I stand by what I wrote in my 1st paragraph) but ultimately, it is of high precedence not to instill swirls back into the paint. Yes, you can instill swirls with an MF if you're not careful.

When I am removing wax from a paint finish, I don't see a need to move the MF more quickly.

Comment

I've been doing the swift, several passes of final wipe for years. I guess I should try this slow wipe technique.
                            Greetings from the Montero Sport Club of the Philippines! Visit us online at: www.monterosportclubphils.com

Comment

So in other words "Slow down to speed up" = "Slow & Glow"

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');