• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using a Pressure Washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Pressure Washer

I have been reading tons of detailing threads but one thing I cannot find is "washing with a power washer".
    I have one and used it all the time and it is easy and does not seem to hurt the paint.
    - I first rinse the car with the lowest pressure
    - I then applied car was soap with the detergent nozzle
    - Go over it with a mitt to loosen the dirt even better
    - Rinse again

It works very well for wheels and inside the wheel wells.

Is this a bad idea?

Re: Using a Pressure Washer

Originally posted by Adi
    I have been reading tons of detailing threads but one thing I cannot find is "washing with a power washer".
    I have one and used it all the time and it is easy and does not seem to hurt the paint.
    - I first rinse the car with the lowest pressure
    - I then applied car was soap with the detergent nozzle
    - Go over it with a mitt to loosen the dirt even better
    - Rinse again

It works very well for wheels and inside the wheel wells.

Is this a bad idea?
    do you clean and rise your mitt often? that would be the one big down side to what your doing. its important to keep the mitt clean of dirt and other things that can install swirls in the paint.
    2019 GMC Sierra
    1500 AT4

Comment

Re: Re: Using a Pressure Washer

Originally posted by 2000
      do you clean and rise your mitt often? that would be the one big down side to what your doing. its important to keep the mitt clean of dirt and other things that can install swirls in the paint.
      Yes, I always have a clean bucket for the mitt to clean. One thing is, that there is not much dirt left after you rinse and wash with the power washer.

Comment

the only other down I can see ( and I doubt its a down side) would be that your forcing water in areas that usally doesn't get hit with water under pressure, like door seals ect. And that probably applies more to older cars that anything in the last 20 years or so.
        2019 GMC Sierra
        1500 AT4

Comment

The only big problem I see is that if you have loose particles on your surface, and hit it hard with water, it can be like sand blasting your paint.

Since you say 'lowest setting', I assume it is quite low, and would wash off big loose things like that.

Other than that, as long as there is enough soap on the car for the mit too glide across, it should be ok.

The washer can be quite good in wheel wells, and underbody I imagine as well.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525
            .......Other than that, as long as there is enough soap on the car for the mit too glide across, it should be ok. .......
            Actually there is plenty of soap on the car. I use soap 1:4 with water, and when it sprays it on, there is the entire car covered in nice creamy foam.

Comment

One thing I found with pressure washers is that it shortens the life of your wax, from the pressure of the water. Garden hose is much gentler.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');