• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#16 Shelf Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #16 Shelf Life

What is the shelf life of never opened cans of #16 in a 60-80ยบ temp environment?

John

i'm guessing the shelf life if stored correctly.... is around 3-5 years?

Comment

I think Mike said he had a can around for 50 years and it still looked good. As long as it is kept in a mild environment and properly sealed it will last for many years.

Comment

Originally posted by travisdecpn
        I think Mike said he had a can around for 50 years and it still looked good. As long as it is kept in a mild environment and properly sealed it will last for many years.
        Yep. My case of #16 *is* stored in optimal conditions, but I expect it to last me the rest of my life, which I'm hoping will be a few decades. I bought the can I'm using now back in 1990 and for years it was stored/used in a garage that got *hot* in the summer (how hot? the overhead door motors wouldn't work due to heat).

In a 60-80 F setting #16 should last for a long, long time. Just make sure the can is fully shut.
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

I had a friend melt it down to get it level and smooth again, so it's pretty resiliant. I only have 5 cans but I figure that will last me long enough since in 10-20 years, who knows how we'll get around without oil.

Comment

Morning all,

My #16 has not arrived yet but when it does and I start using it I'll be putting some cling film over the wax (inside the tin) then closing the lid, not sure if it will help but it won't do any harm

Bryan

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');