• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

chewing gum and speaker grills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chewing gum and speaker grills

how do i remove chewing gum from a speaker grill?

If the chewing gum is on the inside of it you'll have to take the speaker screen off.

Comment

i think it might be, once i've got that off whats the best way to do it?

Comment

Meguiars body solvent will soften and remove it.
        Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

i'll give that a go, thanks Joe
          it wont damage the grill?

Comment

In my experiences it shouldn't damage the grill but as with using any product for the first time, try it on a part of the grill that isn't visible to see if damages the grill before using it .
            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

If you don't want to utilize a chemical based cleaner, you could try the old 'ice on carpet' trick:

Ice up the area with an ice cube, keep ice cube on the affected area for about 3-5 minutes, depending on temperature. Next, once the gum is sufficiently cooled, it will be hard in consistency, then utilize a piece of stiff wire or something that can be poked through the grille holes and push out the gum. Surface gum can be removed with fingernail once hardened.

Interior plactics may be of a different physical property than exterior plastics and can be susceptible to certain chemicals. Your overall safe bet is to use the ice method. But if you decide to try the chemical method, then as always, test in an inconspicuous area.

Let us know which method worked best and the results you noted.

Good Luck!
              got Fish? Get Hooked!

Comment

I have found that an ice cube doesn't always due the trick. I might not get the gum cold enough. I have done this before. Get a can of air used for computers. Insert the small hose on the can. Turn the can upside down. This will spary the co2 liquid or what ever chemical they use now. This will freeze the gum. You may have to shoot it a couple of times. The longer you spay the gum the longer the working time.

Make sure you DO NOT spray your skin it will hurt just like if you touch dry ice.
                2000 Grand Prix GTP
                2007 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

Try pushing a little peanut butter through the grill side. The peanut oil might work it's way between the gum and the grill, and work the gum free.
                  r. b.

Comment

I too would start with the Ice Trick. Except, if your gonna remove the grill, throw the grill in the freezer (bring it to a cold source opposed to bringing the cold scorce to it). Just a simple thought.
                    Brad

Detailing a Vehicle is very Therapeutic.

Comment

By Joe, Clarke's got it...

Throw the grill in the freezer, way better and less messy than the ice cube trick. Now why didn't I think of that?

Kudos Clarke!!!
                      got Fish? Get Hooked!

Comment

Originally posted by salmonfisher
                        By Joe, Clarke's got it...

Throw the grill in the freezer, way better and less messy than the ice cube trick. Now why didn't I think of that?

Kudos Clarke!!!
                        A word of caution though.

It is a great idea to put the grill in the freezer if it is made out of metal, but be careful if the grill is made out of plastic, because the freezing temperatures can make some plastics brittle.
                        r. b.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');