• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cleaning and Waxing Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning and Waxing Wheels

It's time to clean and wax the wheels on the goat. I have a few questions.

Which wax would you use? I have a choice between NXT (paste or liquid) and #20. NXT will probably give a better look. #20 dries more quickly and may be a little bit easier to remove. I would like to wax the wheel and have it dry so I can remove it before moving on to the next one. Maybe I should do 2 wheels with NXT and 2 with #20. Up until now, I have mostly used #20 with good results. I also have MPPP but it takes too long to dry. The anti-static properties would be a plus though.

Now for the cleaning part. The wheels are painted, clearcoated silver. I don't see much need for a cleaner/polish but there are a few tar spots that need attention. Would you use clay or tar and bug remover? Any tar spots will be very small, like dots. For tar and bug remover, I have my choice of either Autoglym or 3M. 3M is pretty aggressive. How does Autoglym compare? And will tar and bug remover harm the tires at all?

RamAirV1
    2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack 392Granite Crystal
    2006 GTO Impulse Blue

The bug and tar remover shouldnt hurt tires.. I would expect them to be exposed to far worse on the road. It could remove dressing though...

I dont know which synthetic wax would be best..
    Last edited by Murr1525; Aug 6, 2005, 10:19 PM.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thanks I went with the NXT. I used paste and liquid on different sections. The paste definitely sets up faster. The liquid is easier to apply on wheel though with the irregular surfaces.

I used the Autoglym tar remover and it is excellent! It has less of a strong solvent smell than the 3M. I bought it from BCC.

RamAirV1
      2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

I'd clay them *and* use some sort of cleaner/polish. I'm always amazed at all the stuff that comes off of "clean" wheels. And the gentle "smoothing" action from the cleaner polish will have other benefits too.

I'd use the longest-lasting LSP you can and then just clean with regular car wash solution instead of a wheel cleaner.
        Practical Perfectionist

Comment

Originally posted by Accumulator
          I'd clay them *and* use some sort of cleaner/polish. I'm always amazed at all the stuff that comes off of "clean" wheels. And the gentle "smoothing" action from the cleaner polish will have other benefits too.

I'd use the longest-lasting LSP you can and then just clean with regular car wash solution instead of a wheel cleaner.
          I agree. I never use wheel cleaner as it will easily strip the wax off. I definitely will use a cleaner on the next go round. I should have tried the Color X, but I didn't have any on hand. #6 has enough cleaning action that it may have been a good option.

RamAirV1
          2006 GTO Impulse Blue

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');