• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 coats of clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 coats of clear

i was at a carshow earlier and was talking to a guy about his car and he said it had 6 coats of clear on it. i was just wondering what the purpose was?
    NA

Depends on the context...

Was it sanded afterwards and 2-3 coats sanded off?

Were some of the clear layers special effects layers

If it were just 6 coats of clear and nothing else special or done to it afterwards than this might be excessive, it also depends the type of paint and spray gun...

The most important question....

Did it look good?
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

i didn't ask if it was sanded or anything. it was a 69 camaro and it had the nicest looking paint i have ever seen.
      NA

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the main purpose of a lot of layers of clear are to both have enough clear to remove defects from the paint process and to remove future problems. Harleys have very thick factory clear on them, I've been amazed at how deep some scratches are that I can get out.

Comment

IMHO more clear on your car means you get some really nice depth to the paint. I find that alot of new cars really lack this depth. IMHO again I think mazdas have a little more clear and have a touch more depth.

Greg
          Pinnacle Detailing

Comment

I agree with Mike and Showtime about being for defect removal. It could also be there was a pearl used in the clear coat.

Jimbo,
            How many color coats were there on this camaro.

I believe paint depth comes from many color coats, as the clear cat is just clear paint and helps to enhance the base coats. There are many factors involved in a perfect paint job.

Eric
            Talk it over folks. Communication is the key.

--Jerry Springer

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');